It's Official Derrick Mason to the Jets!!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GrindHouse, Aug 6, 2011.

1. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Welcome Mason, hope his enthusiasm on Twitter to be with the Jets translates onto the field!

2. Ravens2010

Ravens2010 New Member

Good signing. The more I thought about it, teams are going to need durable players this year because there are going to be a lot of injuries due to the shortened preseason. If Mason has one attribute above all else, it's that he's durable. And as long as his head is right, he should be the perfect #3 WR to complete your stable of WRs.

3. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Rotoworld is reporting it's a one yr deal.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

There have already been a ton and camps have been open less than a week. Hamstrings, groins, achilles....a lot more to come I'm sure.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I am extremely excited at this signing. This is what we needed for insurance and for completeness. I feel good about our receivers now.
    a) Mason will be an immediate contributor and great mentor to the young receivers
    b) He is an upgrade over Kotch whom I like a lot and will miss but he was not happy in Jet’s land
    c) Holmes first full season. That’s 4 more games vs. last year, second year with Sanchez
    d) Mason can be our #2 if Plaxico is way too rusty and needs more time or gets hurt, giving us 2 experienced veteran receivers. Hell he was practically the Raven’s #1 last year.
    e) While BE was a known quantity on the field and productive for us we were playing with dynamite if we kept him, not to mention the kind of money he wanted was unaffordable
    f) People are way too negative about Plax. My view is that while an unknown right now, we have the option to bring him along slowly in more of a limited role (red zone, etc) If he gets close to form by mid season that could be our best WR group in a long time
    g) 2 Years with Mason will allow our young WR group to develop (including next year top WR draft)
    h) Good job GM
    i) Now I can start worrying about special teams and the pass rush
    j) This is so much better that years past ( pre-Rex) I can’t stand it

6. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

He's too old and over the hill.

7. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

8. nycztonee

nycztonee Active Member

This is a case where his competitive fire and emotions are of slight concern to me.

Last year, he physically confronted Flacco in the sidelines against the Panthers by apparently grabbing Flacco's facemask for overthrowing a pass or something.

Sanchez specifically commented that he's tried to satisfy every receiver in the past by trying to evenly allocate the number of targets but he will now throw to open reads.

As reliable as Mason is, he will have difficulty getting separations compared to other receivers.

We've heard that Mason's complained in the past about not getting enough passes thrown his way.

Despite how much of leadership and respect he brings to a team, one showing like this can rattle Sanchez big time.

This is the year Sanchez takes over this offense as a leader. I hope Mason doesn't become a roadblock.

9. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Can only help Sanchez- he'll pass on experience, and doesn't have have the dropsies.

10. GeorgeBaha

GeorgeBaha New Member

Just to clear something up. I see alot of posts that Mason took less money to play for the Jets. He wanted to play for REX, and He came to the Jets over the Ravens to get a ring.

For everyones information Mason wanted to be a Raven. He took so long to make a decision because he was hoping the Ravens would make an offer. The Ravens NEVER made an offer to Mason. Do not believe everything you read. Mason coming to the Jets was a last resort move.
    The Ravens have confirmed they never made an offer to Mason. It is now also being reported the Ravens are now looking at Cotchery. They also confirmed they are not. It is a tactic used by agents to get clients more money.
    Ravens are determined to get younger. They have a cast of younger receivers now and were not interested in bringing Mason back.
    So not everyone wants to play for Rex. Not all Ravens want to play for Rex. Todd Heap walked out during a vist. Mason only chose the Jets because it was his only offer.

Since I cannot post a link the rest of you know what to put in the begining of what I posted below to see.
    The only thing the Jets picked up today was a player who's heart is somehwere else.

ravens24x7.blogspot.com/2011/08/despite-reported-free-agent-misses.html

#70 GeorgeBaha, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Is that a fan site?...lol

12. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: Call the Wambulance WAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Quit crying.We took the Ravens LB, Defensive mastermind and receiver.Get over it.PPL like it over here.We actually can beat the best team in our division...In the PLAYOFFS!

13. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

14. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

lol, yep. It's probably the ravens most popular message board. I've checked that place out many times before. (Ravens fans are pissed, btw)

15. 624

624 Banned

Good news.

Every hour that passed without him signing made me feel he was leaning back towards staying home...glad to have him on the Jets.

As TDK pointed out, our receivers have big game experience.

16. GeorgeBaha

GeorgeBaha New Member

Where do you come up with crying? What part of my post stated I was a Ravens Fan? I put up the information. If you do not like it then dont read it.
    As to the last part of your comment it makes absolutely no sense. Just what adzactly are you trying to say?
    Ravens also beat the Patriots in the Playoffs. Rather badly as well. If you are refering to the Ravens losing to the Steelers well is that also not the same team who knocked the Jets out of the Playoffs as well?
    Now what really makes the comment foolish is the 2 times (preseason 2009 and regular season 2010) that the Jets played the Ravens with Rex as the coach the Jets lost.
    While one of those games was just a preseason game Rex still tried to Win it as if it was a regular season game and still lost.
    So I see no purpose in the comment you made.
    Both the Jets and Ravens beat the Patriots in the Playoffs and both lost to the Steelers.
    By the way. You also just called the Patriots the better team. :wink:

#76 GeorgeBaha, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  17. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

This is an excellent move. One of the best route runners in NFL history who can teach Kerley a thing or two about what it takes to be a successful WR in the NFL.

18. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I really wanted Tandon Doss on this team. Frickin' Ravens snatched him up a few spots ahead of us.

I feel better now.

19. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

It'll be interesting to see how this works out. Personally I think he could end up being our number two if he looks as good as he has the past few seasons.

I didnt realize that he is a bit of a diva (at least according to Flacco) but it sounds more like in fun and not that serious. I do remember him retiring a couple years ago and then coming back and thinking that was a little odd.

20. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

This is good news. He will help us out in the short term on the field and hopefully help mentor some of our younger receivers like Kerley.