Is it too early for a Tankhaton thread?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Oct 21, 2024 at 10:20 AM.

1. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

delete

#41 Not Sure, Oct 22, 2024 at 5:31 AM
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2024 at 5:45 AM
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’m seeing a bunch of other teams with shitty records that this sad sack team with a shitty record could potentially beat.

mezzavo likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Depending on where we finish a QB will be hard to pass up, sure

but damn this teams need a REAL football player. Like a culture changing, physical LB or Safety

4. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Picking an off ball LB or S in the top 15 over a QB is exactly the thought process that got the jets into this mess.

JetFanInNE and teamgreen like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

STFU bills fan.

6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It's never too early to talk about a Tankathon with the Jets.

The only problem is the Jets don't even know how to tank right. They will finish between 6-11 and 8-9 this season and continue the circle of perpetual mediocrity that is the NYJ. Then they will make another awful pick somewhere around 10 and the beat goes on.

Next draft there is no franchise QB coming out. That will be the following season with Arch Manning. They need to get the BPA in 2025 draft and completely suck next year and then draft their franchise QB first overall in 2026.

REVISion and mezzavo like this.
  7. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Manning
    Manning will never play for the NYJ. His family would never allow that, and they'll let everyone know too.

Jets81, mezzavo and stinkyB like this.
  8. JetsNation06

Sure he would but it would entail the Jets hiring a competent FO and Coaching staff. This upcoming offseason will tell a lot about the future in both these areas.

Ralebird and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

I think Ewers is going to be a good NFL QB too but yeah 2026 might be the better year

JetsNation06 likes this.
  10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

no-one knows how a QB prospect is going to pan out (ESPECIALLY the Jets) so would probably be better if they were forced to pick someone they didn't want - looking at recent drafts:

2015 - no good QBs drafted
    2016 - if not for Goff's recent renaissance you'd say the best QB was taken in the 4th round (Prescott)
    2017 - Mahomes the second QB taken at 10 (no other good QBs)
    2018 - Allen - 3rd QB and Jackson 5th QB taken
    2019 - Murray was the #1 pick but hasn't lived up to that billing, no-one else good
    2020 - a few decent QBs but Love was #26 and Hurts was a second rounder
    2021 - Lawrence was #1 but again not really lived up to the hype yet - no other good QBs
    2022 - Purdy best of a bad bunch and he was the end of the 7th round!
    2023 - best QB was the second one taken

with the exception perhaps of Lawrence there is no-one here where the Jets would've got the best player had they been picking first (obviously the could have gone Stroud over Bryce but let's face it, they wouldn't have).

SackRecord99 likes this.
  11. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

LOVE the nautical theme to this!

12. mezzavo

Touché! lol

Jets81 likes this.
  13. mezzavo

You got that right. Know nothing about his eligibility but someone will figure out a way to keep that kid in school if the Jets are anywhere near that pick.

14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

These threads are perennial now. PAIN.

15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I don’t know. The hate runs generations deep with the Mannings.

It’s kinda like “friends don’t let friends drive drunk”.

16. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Drafting a lottery level QB this upcoming offseason would essentially just be tripling down on the backwards level thinking and just making the Aaron Rodgers mistake all over again.

This really needs to repeated 1000x over until it finally sinks in with everybody:

"Get a clue, *THEN* worry about who the future QB is going to be".

In the bigger player evaluation picture people never like to acknowledge (because it makes things easier and more fun not to) there is ultimately 32 different versions of every player depending on the team/situation he ends up in. It doesn't matter who the kid you bring in is if you are just consistently drafting them into one of those bottom and worse expected version outcomes. The NYJ have been and remain one of those worst expected outcomes destinations. Where like we saw in a equally worst expected outcome team Carolina you don't get Tampa Bay version Baker Mayfield. You get the one everybody says "sucks" and laughs at the idea of being a potential alternative to a super expensive Rodgers when we were QB shopping for Zach's replacement 2 offseason ago.

Hackett needs to be out of the building first. With Rodgers realistically cemented into place through 25 we are likely looking at a 2026 eta before that offensive coaching/development room is going to have a real clue.

17. JetsNation06

It's definitely possible and a legit concern. I'm not denying that. I just think before we get ahead of ourselves the next step is clearly:

Finding the next leader of this franchise. Whether that's a GM, HC or combination of the two. The Jets need a proven strong leader who has the vision and experience to blow this entire thing up and build it from there.

I don't think there's any question this is the most important next step.

18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

If they lose to the Pats I'm ready to talk tank. Regardless, it's obvious they need to be thinking QB in the 1st so we should start discussing who that could be.

Even more important is who the new regime will be

19. BrowningNagle

hackett is already basically out of the building, he’s demoted, working under the *interim* coach. Nobody on the staff is likely returning but especially him

you don’t like Rodgers, you don’t like a drafted QB alternative, I mean should we coax Chad Pennington out of retirement? Not too many other options

20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

This team has been wearing clown shoes for a long time, though.

14 playoff appearances (in 60+ seasons), 13 playoff losses.

I think they were around .500 all time a handful of seasons either before Tuna came in or after he left, and they’re almost 120 below now.

Two division titles in my 40+ years of life. No Super Bowls, of course.

No franchise QB in what, 50+ years now? Ken O’Brein or Chad Pennington are the closest we’ve had? How does a team manage that with as many picks as they’ve made over the years?

I agree that the right combination of things can turn it around. The Jets excel at not finding that combination, and the Mannings go all the way back to the beginning, so they’ve watched it happen over and over again. Even if it’s just vanity (and it really wouldn’t be), I can’t see them allowing it to happen.

The Mannings can go fuck themselves, anyway.

mezzavo likes this.