Is it possilbe to win with Rex in the long term?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by supersonic, Sep 11, 2013.

1. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

Your just a Rex apologist. You tried to compare him to Walsh, but Walsh chose the right guys. It doesn't matter the reason for the choice, continuity or what have you. What matters is the result. Rex had power in both of those choices and they were both the wrong ones. so be a man and give walsh credit and give rex credit for his. The statement in the OP is clearly reasonable. At the end of the day it is a micro issue in the scheme of the post. The post is whether or not rex can succeed with the proper support. I am not a rex hater. I actually like the guy personally. But I think he is an incomplete coach and I am wondering if with the right support to plug his gaps if he can't succeed.

2. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

historical fact: the bears won a super bowl with halas as owner/gm, ditka being head coach who only ran the offense, and buddy ryan as defensive coordinator , who only ran the defense.:metal:

3. mr nyjet

walsh actually preferred another qb, but fell into montana in the 3rd round after another team took his first choice. bellicheat lucked into brady in the bottom of the 6th round. both cases of mostly just pure luck.:metal:

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I compared the fact that Walsh was no more a defensive expert than Rex is an offensive expert. your accusation that Rex brings nothing to the offensive side of the ball was a criticism of talent, ability and execution, as if all head coaches who come from one side of the ball have talent, ability and proven execution for the other side. that is asinine.

the ability to identify a qualified coordinator is a different skill set.

it absolutely does matter. if Rex kept Schotty because he was indifferent to the offense, then he can resolve that by becoming interested, and thus the accusation that he brings nothing, which is an indictment on his ability, is not applicable.

please do better in actually grasping the dynamics of your own argument; I shouldn't have to explain them to you.

if that were the case, your criticism would be he hasn't shown that he can make decisions that will be positive to the offense -- which is a specific statement. not the broad indictment that he doesn't have the ability to do so. haviong made bad decisions does not equate to not being able to make better decisions going forward, which your accusation would negate.

they were wrong for different reasons so you cannot criticize them identically.

I have never stripped Bill Walsh of any credit for his success as a head coach; I simply understand why he was successful whereas you don't and want to exaggerate what he did for the defense.

he isn't more incomplete than many other coaches. he isn't an offensive expert and any expectation that it is required for him to be a good head coach is ludicrous. his responsibility to the offense is the basic philosophy for how he wants it to operate and hiring the appropriate coordinator to run it with expertise. he has made two bad decisions on the coordinator end, but if he has made a better decision with MM it would completely eviscerate your accusation. so the accusation is meaningless and based on an incorrect idea of what a head coach does to manage both sides of the ball.

5. mr nyjet

the giants don't put bean counters in the gm position.

people forget that the giants were a mess before rozell got them a real gm, who then brought in parcells.

some people forget about cowher's record with the steelers, yet want to hold rex to a different standard. then again, what was bellicheat's record with the browns?

6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Sorry but you can't play for a half season and be considered elite. Elite QBs make their players better and can carry the team on their back if needed. Kaepernick has yet to demonstrate that he can do this. He is surrounded by an amazing defense, and an elite WR & RB core. THEY make HIM better. Alex Smith looked elite last year with the niners, and played at an elite level, so surely you believe he is elite right? If Kaepernick's career ended today, people would not look back in history and say, "wow, that guy was totally elite." Unless of course by elite you simply mean slightly better than above average. Because he is that, but he's not elite. Sorry. Elite means cream of the crop. He is not close to Peyton, Rodgers, Brady and Brees level. If Kaepernick was on the Jets last year, he'd be considered a huge bust. If you consider him elite, you must consider at least 10 other guys elite.. but elite isn't top 1/3 of the league, it's best of the best. He could prove himself elite if he consistently keeps this level of play up and shows he can overcome injuries to key role players on the team.

#86 Barcs, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  7. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

He won with mangini's players.

It is possible if he gets talent.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Rex reached AFCCG twice with Mark Fucking Sanchez. TWICE.

I rest my case.

9. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, they can win with Rex IF;

There is a GM strong enough to tell him No and not let Ryan bully his way to everything.
    That there is an understanding that he keeps his hands off the offense other than making general calls like FG or go for it on short yardage, etc. The actual play calling though has to be out of his hands.

10. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Agreed. They now have a strong GM who has a football background and can not only manage player personnel but can (and probably does to some degree) decide who starts and who backs up. They also have a strong OC so it seems that the team has added strengths in the areas that Rex is weak. Frankly, I think he shouldn't be a head coach, but a DC but this situation might work out.

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Mangini didn't win with Mangini's players.

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

when your argument is completely dependent of stripping a player of the applaud for their accomplishments and simply applying those accomplishments to every other player on the team but him, you have no argument.

what is next? Kaepernick only threw for 400 yards last week because the D got him the ball back to begin with?

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Kaepernick was freakishly good last years. On a loaded team there were plenty of moments where he was the best player on the field. He may prove to not be elite over time but the guy clearly is a freakish talent who absolutely dominated during the playoffs against the best competition in the NFL. If that doesn't make him elite, I don't know what elite is.

Time will tell but right now the guy is an elite NFL player that has to be gamed planed against.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I really hate this excuse. Rex does not buy the groceries, the GM does. He may have somewhat of an input but he's not the man that turns that card in at the end of the day.

15. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Agreed 100% if Mangini picked the players what is the point of having a GM if the coach makes the picks. The coach has input in the picks but in this case a reason for lack of depth on the Jets was the GM trading picks away for stop gap players.

16. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Y - E - S
    Yes!
    Yes!
    Yes!

I think Rex has his flaws no doubt. Most of them come full circle back to Mark "Butt Fumble" Sanchez. I think that the other part of his problems were Tanny. Both are gone now.

Rex offers something that most coaches do not. That is the ability to scheme a defence into a far superior unit than
    their ability actually is. He can make a mediocre D good, and a good D elite. This is a huge asset that I think most f
    ans who have been calling for his head fail to remember. I just hope that Rex and Idzik can balance power and make
    it work to the teams advantage. Though it makes me wonder about Idzik (who I have been high on) when he goes o
    ut and get Brady Quinn, twice...

17. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I think the addition of Marty M. is going to reap HUGE dividends over the course of the season. At this point we are in a "wait and see" position.

My personal opinion...Rex Ryan is about as perfect a Head Coach for the NY Jets as anyone on the planet. There is NO ONE I can think of that I would rather have than him. He is the perfect blend of football guy, coach and personality for a team in New Yawk City.

18. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

OP:
    With that said, I don't think Rex is a great coach and I have said in the past that I have wanted him gone. I believe Rex lacks several qualities to be a well rounded HC including, but not limited to:
    1. He offers very little on offensive side of the ball

Your so wound up to protect your gf Rex that your skewing the OP. The post was that he is "not well rounded". Based on your quote you are agreeing with that. It didn't say he had to be an offensive expert. He says offers very little on the offensive side of the ball. I didn't say he could or could not win. What I said was that ownership was trying compensate for where is was weak and posed the hypothetical if he could win if he was supported correctly. Clearly you believe he can. Your opinion has been duly noted.

19. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

The grass is always greener on the other side, I would stick with Rex because I would not like to be facing him.

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

:lol: I knew you would respond with some irrelevant nonsense, nitpicking instead of address the points. He is not elite. The sample size is too small to consider it. Why is Alex Smith not elite? He played with the same squad last year and lead the league in QB rating while he did it. Too funny. Sanchez played at an elite level in the playoffs a few years back as well. If Kaepernick maintains this high level of play for another year or two I'd be inclined to agree, but it's way too early and he's on a loaded team. You can't deny that. Defenses will adjust and we'll see what happens when he plays a good one. Green Bay's D is terrible. At least give the kid a full year starting before making ridiculous proclamations about him being an elite QB.

#100 Barcs, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013