Is it possilbe to win with Rex in the long term?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by supersonic, Sep 11, 2013.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Rex didn't hire Schotty; it has been said to death.

he made a mistake with Sporano and that was identified and corrected within one year.

your initial assertion was that he has nothing to offer, but the reality is making one bad decision on a coordinator does not equate to having nothing to offer.

is your position now simply that you evaluate the coaches usefulness to the other side of the ball from his expertise on how well he can identify and hire talented coordinators? I will agree with that, but that wasn't your initial statement. but your position is easily defeated if MM works out as coordinator, or if Geno Smith is a stud and makes everyone look great.

although very vague, your initial statement was clearly attempting to claim something very broad about Rex's ability to be a head coach, beyond a poor choice in choosing coordinators.

perhaps that is why you made a vague and meaningless statement, because it has no merit. what you should have said is the specific -- Rex cannot identify talented offensive coordinators, if that is the basis of your argument against him.

#61 JetBlue, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  2. Barcs

Barcs Banned

It's a wee bit early to be calling Kaepernick elite. Let's see how defenses adjust to him this year. He has an elite team surrounding him. Matt Ryan has yet to prove himself in the post season and Luck is pushing it. Shaub is like Stafford. He'd be nowhere without Andre Johnson. I'd honestly consider Flacco closer to elite than any of those 4 (and I don't consider him elite).

#62 Barcs, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  3. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

To be fair I don't think there is a single fan base that doesn't complain about their play calling. And if we want a better offensive mind, I think we would have to hire them as the HC.

4. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

That is a load of bunk, Rex actively recruited Shotty to stay, he wanted to keep continuity. Second, he has been chastised and has openly admitted that he needs to do more and be more involved on the offensive side of the ball. Believe what you like but that statement I made is pretty common knowledge. Whether it impedes his ability to ever win a superbowl is the great unknown.

5. Mr. Green Pants

Absolutely, we can win long term with Rex as Coach. The fact that he still has the ear of the team, after four years and mountains of shit being dumped on everyone, speaks volumes about his ability to lead. And we know he can coach up a defense. It's simply a matter of giving him the Offensive Coordinator and playmaking talent he needs to succeed.

6. JetBlue

Kaepernick is elite; not being so yet for multiple seasons does not change the fact that he has played at an elite level since becoming the starter. Same with Luck. Matt Ryan made the NFC CG last year; elite doesn't simply require dominating every single post season you are in. Overall Ryan is an elite difference making QB.

7. JetBlue

Then continuity drove his decision making with Schotty, not a deficiency in his ability to identify talent. That would mean he would need to be more hands on with that process, not an inability to do so. Now you are arguing something completely different and hiring Sporano is the only one of the two decisions based on mis-judging ability alone. And that isn't a large enough sample size to claim he does not have the ability to make better coordinator decisions.

The fact that you are all over the place reaching for anything you can find to defend your statement is indicative of its lack of basis in reality.

8. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Yes he did. Schotty was convinced to stay because he had no experience hiring an OC and felt it in the best interest of the current offense to keep everything status quo. Unless you have been in a head management position before and know people you have worked with, you don't dump everyone in favor of hiring unknowns. You keep what you have otherwise you end up with a brain dump.

When he tried to be the "HC" and be involved more with the offense, he had an incompetent OC and the offense got worse. Let Rex do what he does best - defense. Let him delegate the Offense. There is nothing wrong with that.

Bellicheck was hailed as a defensive mastermind and then the football lottery gods granted him an elite QB. Now he's an offensive genius. As soon as Rex gets lucky enough to get a top 5 QB, Rex will start becoming that offensive genius as well.

But to sum up all the points, it doesn't really matter if we move on from Rex. Because this impatient fan-base and the ridiculous media will never let a coach stay here long enough to build something. Do you really think that a "Bill Cowher" can come in here and coach for 13 years before winning an SB? NEVER. It will be the same shit every 3~5 years - Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets can win with Rex. He brings something of great value to the table. He needs to figure out how to lead better in other areas or how to get out of the way when somebody is better qualified than him.

HC is not the most valuable position in the organization but I don't want to derail the thread on the topic.

10. lamont_jordan_rules

excellent post! ... + 1

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

You sound extremely clueless with about every post that you write.

Just say it, you're completely against Rex and you will throw out any line of crap to "try" and make a case against him.

You're failing. Miserably. Nice effort though.

12. IIMeanDeanII

I think this is the year for him to truly do that. He finally has an outstanding offensive mind as the OC. I think Rex will be in his ear but I think overall he will allow MM to run this offense to his viewpoint and he will consistently put our players in a position of success.

I think this combination can really work and I truly believe we will see that surprise element from the offense this year. After the first quarter of play I expect very beneficial things from this offense.

Only time will tell but I have a really good feeling about this duo.

13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

The fan base is impatient because we have won NOTHING in 44 years yes that is 44 years of nothingness. RR so far is 0-4 in proving he can win a SB & that is the only fact that counts. The question to U would you want to go another 9 years of being losers like the Steelers the 6 time winning SB champs did with Cowher or would U want to move on to someone else who may have the right stuff? :sad:

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

So i guess Cowher didn't have the right stuff?

by your logic, Jim Harbaugh is just a loser too, and the Chiefs are wasting their time with Andy Reid.

Sorry, but we shouldn't make rash organizational decisions just because Champ is impatient. We've tried changing every 3-5 years approach throughout the teams history. maybe it's time to try a different approach..

15. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

The Giants seem to make it work.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

With Sanchez gone, Rex will have a new lease on life lol

17. IIMeanDeanII

SMH...

Did it take Coughlin 13 years to win a SB with the Giants?

He was on his way out the door just a few years ago but was able to do enough to keep his job, obviously, he barely made it through. He was in the EXACT same position that Rex is in now.

Are you serious?

18. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Yes. Yes I would.

19. JetBlue

sadly, he is serious, which creates a situation that would seem to be a contradiction -- that you can be serious and a joke simultaneously.

20. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

Loose historical parallel here? Sanchez is Brunner, Smith is Simms, Parcells is Rex?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/08...r-bill-parcells-parlayed-luck-into-greatness/

-----

Parcells had gone 3-12-1 as a rookie head coach that season. As he was always quick to say later in his career, you are what the record says you are. And Parcells was a bad head coach beset by his gigantic error in starting Scott Brunner over Phil Simms. Not only was it a mistake on the talent level, but he nearly alienated a quarterback who just two years before had taken Ray Perkins’ Giants to the team’s first postseason since 1963.

KEY EXCERPT--

Parcells, of course, parlayed that second chance into Hall of Fame success. He made right the wrongs of ’83, reinstating Simms as his starter and handling the locker room his way. His motivational manipulation of players, from the last man on the roster to Lawrence Taylor, became legendary. So, too, did his defenses.

Simms, who asked for a trade upon his 1983 demotion, went on to form a mutual admiration society with Parcells, a union strengthened by his MVP performance in the Super Bowl XXI victory against Denver. ...