Is it possilbe to win with Rex in the long term?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by supersonic, Sep 11, 2013.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Why wouldn't Marty stay around? He won't be a HC anytime soon, if ever. He had his opportunity. Rex will tell Marty to run the football down their throats, that's one thing Rex could tell Marty to do.

2. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

Anyone who makes this agreument just doesn't get it. This is what a coaches apologist says. If this were the case there would never be a reason to fire a coach, just a GM. Case in point. When Rex took over with the addition of Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard we went form the bottom of the league to the top in defense. When Parcells took over a similar team went from 1-13 to 9-7.

3. supersonic

These are almost my exact personal sentiments actually. At the end of the day though I think finding an HC that can deliver is as much or more difficult than finding a top 5 QB. Just like some teams can do it with a great running game and defense despite a mediocre QB, I am wondering if we can do the same with Rex with proper support.

4. supersonic

Not really. The guys you mentioned it have won. I don't know why they have exactly, I don't follow them like I follow Rex. An HC is accountable for the entire team, not just one side of the ball. If the OC is failing the HC needs to be able to correct it, otherwise what is the point of the HC? At the end of the day the coordinators are subordinates of the HC. You can't be unaccountable for the offense as the HC. If so, you are better suited to be a coordinator. Parcells was a DC too but when he was not happy with Weiss's calls he fixed his ass quick. Rex has not show this type of leadership yet. Maybe other SB winning coaches were unaccountable for one side of the ball as well. And that is the exact premiss of the thread. Is it possible to get Rex to a SB as an incomplete coach.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The only reason McCarthy won the SB was because of Dom Capers their DC. They played EXCELLENT defense as well as Rodgers getting hot in the post-season.

Look at the Saints also, their defense was the catalyst for winning the SB. Getting tons of turnovers.

I don't see why this can't happen with the Jets except for on offense.

6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Can you name a single coach that would have had more success than Rex when playing a QB whose highest ranking in the past 4 years has been 23rd (and last year was 31st).

Not surprisingly the top teams all have a top performing QB so you can tell nothing about how good (or bad) the coaches of those teams might be when they are playing with a loaded deck

Its a large slice of luck to get a top QB but the failure to do so is down to the organization as a whole and cannot just be landed on Rex's desk.

7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Walsh - had Montana and Young

Tomlinson - has Rothlisburger

McCarthy - has Rodgers

I sense a pattern here.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The OP tries to sound like he is an expert on what it takes to be a great HC and doesn't follow anyone who has had success or have any idea why they had success.

Fantastic thread.

9. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

McCarthy is actually a very bad in-game coach, borderline terrible even. He's as hands off on D as Rex is on O. He'd have been canned by now if he had had 4 years of Sanchez, and would likely be looked at as a punchline as a head coach. Then again, he arguably would have benched Sanchez earlier and likely would not have urged us to draft Sanchez in the first instance. One thing McCarthy knows is offense and he can be credited as good at QB development. Note both the things I'm complimenting him for are good traits for an OC, which is what he should be.

10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

good points, though I would add:

- pretty much every talking head thought Sanchez had the potential to be great and he was a consensus top 5 or top 10 pick in 2009 - so its not like we reached for him - we just gambled and lost - plus Rex was new to the role and if the brain trust had decided sanchez was their man then it would have been very hard to go against that (especially if you don't know QBs)

- who did we have to bench sanchez for? clemmons? as he was drafted pre-salary cap we were paying him an insane amount of money which meant we had to do everything possible to try and make it work, sadly it doesn't seem to have

now although I am a rex fan he and the organization have made mistakes - like soprano - and he is not perfect but then no-one is (and those that look perfect only do so because they lucked into an elite QB).

11. supersonic

Hardly proclaim expert status although have followed many successful leaders in football and business with personal experience in the latter. Unlike some smart ass fry cooks that have way too many posts while they are board to tears waiting for the dinner crowd to roll in.

12. abyzmul

Which successful leaders? You were provided three successful head coaches and admitted that you were fucking clueless about why they were successful. Go ahead and name the successful head coaches you have followed.

Or shut the fuck up.

By the way, I would be shocked if I didn't make at least twice your annual earnings. I'm the baddest-ass fry cook in the land.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Flacco is not a great QB. I dont even consider him a good QB. Kaepernick can be great, but I will have to give him time.

If we are talking top 5 QBs plus a mediocre HC vs. a mediocre QB plus a top 5 HC, Im probably choosing the elite QB side.

But to your original question- can we win long term with Rex?- I believe so.

Unless we hire an offensive mastermind like Jim Harbuagh, this team would take a big step back. Right now we have the best overall coaching staff that this organization has had in many years. We have an OC that knows how to develop a young QB, and a defensive HC who is probably top 3 in the league.

You go out in the offseason and add a #1 WR and mismatch TE through the draft or free agency and this team has a real shot at competing.

14. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I think Rex is a phenomenal head coach. He's won 4 road playoff games against great teams and he took 2 jets teams with limited talent to the AFC championship game. I read all these posts of people saying how stacked the 2009 jets were. I've been following the Jets for over 30 years and i can say that that team was in no way stacked. If you think it was, go read some of the posts on this board at the beginning of the 2009 season. Rex got them the top defensive spot purely through the use of smoke and mirrors. That team had a mediocre defensive line that couldn't put pressure on the quarterback (yes, Jenkins was great when he was healthy), had a huge whole at safety and only one starting calibre CB (Revis).

Rex needs to find a QB and a good OC. I have hopes that Geno with be that QB and MM will be that OC. If the Jets can get to the point where they have an offense as good as their defense they will be an elite team and will win the SB one year.

I don't mean to say that Rex hasn't made mistakes, because he clearly has, but you have to expect that with a new head coach.

At the end of the day, the Jets play hard for him and he comes up with incredible defensive schemes. Getting rid of him after this year would be the height of stupidity - we have defensive personnel that aren't suited to anyone else's systems because they're a mishmash of good 3-4 players and good 4-3 players and its highly unlikely that anyone other than Rex could meld them into a solid unit. We'd end up trading away very talented players (like we did with Vilma) because they wouldn't fit another coach's system. Moreover, the Jets will have $40 million + in cap room next year and with Rex doing the selling, the Jets will have their pick of free agents because many players want to play for rex.

2009 and 2010 proved that we can absolutely win with Rex.

15. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

one of Marty's issues has been balance and not getting the most out of his run game

not to mention he has aspirations of being a HC again and Bruce Arians got a shot so I'm sure Marty will if the Jets even look like a good offensive team

not saying I want him gone but its not entirely out of this realm for him to be gone after his contract is up

16. supersonic

You know what buddy. I am sorry. I am sorry for insulting all the hard working fry cooks by tarring you with the same brush as them.

Even though you intentionally misconstrued my post to try to give yourself a boner in the community, I am not going to smack you around any further bc I can tell by your sheer number posts that it is impossible for you to have meaningful employment and your standing in this virtual world is probably all you have.

Go have a snack buddy...go have a snack.

17. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

/10charfiller

18. abyzmul

That's a totally bad ass way of explaining to whomever had the misfortune of clicking on this thread that you

A) don't follow a single successful coach I'm the history of professional football

and

B) have no basis of knowledge on which to build this abortion of a thread on.

Would you like fries with that?

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yeah, exactly. They would be perennial favorites. Ever since he got here Sanchez has been here. It's amazing he has done as well as he has.

#39 Don, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  20. RevisXt

RevisXt Member

I honestly think we would be the worst team in the nfl without Rex.