Is Geno fixable?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bellows1, Jan 12, 2015.

1. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

He will get the chance except this time no Idzick to just hand him the job. And we did not invest a ton of money on him. We have let players with more $$ invested go. I am one of the fans who got tired of his continual stupid repeated mistakes. I take it from your responses you are or were a defender of Geno. That's OK we are all entitled to our opinion. Of course this whole disaster is not all on him but as the QB you rule when U win and suck when U lose. He was a big part of this very sucky year.

2. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

I do not like Geno Smith, but I think he deserves a chance to compete for the job in another system with another Offensive coordinator. Judging by the draft class and upcoming crop of free agent QB's I think it would be a mistake to go out and overpay for one this off-season. A new system, new OC and another year of maturity might be what the doctor ordered. I think he has talent, I think that in the right system he could do what Ryan Tannehill did this past year.

#102 Rictor33, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    MikeSLTJ23 likes this.
  3. ROO

ROO New Member

I think there is a little bit of unrealistic expectancy (lack of a better term) from the fan base. As in, the franchise is obviously looking for the QB that will be here for the next decade and perform at an elite level, so we can all go ahhhhh (as is every team). Well, in my opinion (and learning level of knowledge for this game), that Level 1 QB is a very small percentile of who is actually in the NFL right now or any era for that matter. The level of QB this team has desperately wanted to repeat 1969 just don't walk thru the door ready to go. There has to be a time of development for every QB that is eligible from the draft or to gel with the new team from FA. I, for one, believe that Geno Smith needs to be given the 3-4 years that he deserves before (the forum) kicks him to the curb. Case in point for the Jets management, why the f would you offer a kid out of the draft some ridiculous amount of money on some 4-5 yr deal? (anyway, thats another forum question).

I suppose I am curious to learn, and maybe this is better suited in a new topic, but I'll leave that for someone else to do. For here though (because it's a long off season), comment and re-order the table, but in my best judgement based on current form, I offer this Level of QB chart for the league. This may help Mr Smith get the chance he deserves or maybe he is a bust right now and they should cut their losses. Point from this is, if you look at the list and make your own assessment, you think back to who started out shit and where they are today. Just my inexperienced 0.02.

Level 1
    Aaron Rodgers (GB)
    Peyton Manning (DEN)
    Tom Brady (NE)

Level 2
    Drew Brees (NO)
    Ben Roethlisberger (PIT)
    Russell Wilson (SEA)
    Joe Flacco (BAL)
    Tony Romo (DAL)
    Carson Palmer (AZ)

Level 3
    Andrew Luck (IND)
    Eli Manning (NYG)
    Andy Dalton (CIN)
    Philip Rivers (SD)
    Matt Ryan (ATL)
    Matt Stafford (DET)
    Cam Newton (CAR)
    Jay Cutler (CHI)
    Alex Smith (KC)
    Ryan Tannehill (MIA)
    Colin Kaepernick (SF)
    Nick Foles (PHI)
    Robert Griffin III (WAS)

Level 4
    Geno Smith (NYJ)
    Teddy Bridgewater (MIN)
    Bryan Hoyer (CLE)
    Josh McCown (TB)
    Chad Henne (JAC)
    EJ Manuel (BUF)
    (OAK)
    (HOU)
    (STL)
    (TEN)

Before anyone blows me up and tells me I'm delusional, its just a list to look at and see several things (there are some spots I don't even know who the QB is, so help me out). Change the list up for yourself and put it on here, but what it may show is, if you were to be happy with ANY QB on this list, think back to how long it may have taken them to be the LEVEL they are today and the path they have travelled. It may add some different perspective on Geno Smith.

Yes, there are backups that could probably do better than Geno, but we have what we have and until Mr Stud is either available or developed, give the guy the opportunity to prove himself useless.

Maybe there is more levels that should be there. I'm ready to see what the board thinks and help me understand your game better.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

You have Andrew Luck in the wrong spot

5. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

I'd make level 4 an up and coming level for promising prospects and burgeoning veterans (Carr, Bridgewater, etc) and make level 5 JAG and below, where Geno so far has proven he belongs.

And yeah, Luck is level two at least, as a rookie he was at the level where Brees, Big Ben and Palmer were in their third years.

6. mgjetman22

mgjetman22 Active Member

You can't fix stupid. Gone would be a better word. Never know though, he might be a good 3rd string QB some day.