Is Geno fixable?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bellows1, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

This is the main point i come away with about Smith. When the season really mattered, with some new receivers and a good running game, Smith was the worst qb in football. For the second year in a row. We saw him play well down the stretch in 13 against teams that were either dysfunctional (Miami) or had already packed for their island vacations, and how well did that predict how he would do when the 14 season still mattered?

Not so much.

2. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

I remember a time when QBs would come into the league and not play or really be fully evaluated until year 3. The reason for this was because the game was just too fast for them to get a grasp on early on and it would cause a significant amount of turnovers. In the last 4-5 years we have seen this go out the window completely. I have seen some things from Geno that gave me hope- he needs to read defenses better and I actually started to see him do that towards the end of the year. I don't know if he is going to work out but we have him for cheap and have given him so much playing time to learn it would be a waste if we just dump him at this point. He is cheap and going into his third year with a ton of snaps under his belt. I say we leave him and let him compete with whoever we bring in.

One more thing: I don't miss a game and he never had that much time back there to make a play. The offense line would give him 2 seconds or less before people were in his face. Why don't we sure up our O line and things will be better for everyone. He will be better the run game will be better- O-Line is everything and people don't realize how bad ours was in pass protection this year. D Brick is pretty much done- this next year might be a painful one for him and we are paying him like 17 million against the cap!! Look the year dallas had by simply investing in a sick o line and building through the draft.

hornblower and NYJFOREVER like this.
  3. Big Blocker

This is nonsense. Vick is almost certain not to come back, so I see no need to say nice things about him. But he was very professional in a shit situation for him, the FO lying about him being able to compete against an awful Qb in Smith who supposedly beat him out.

It sounds like you have something personal against Vick.

4. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

Are you kidding me? The guy was here for a paycheck and nothing else. He was supposed to be a "veteran" and "professional" yet when he was brought into games he was not prepared. He even admitted that he did not prepare. A "shit situation" meaning getting paid five million dollars to not prepare and/or do your job? This was one of my least favorite moves by the Jets in recent history: Bring in a polarizing player like Vick, one that is going to rub some fans the wrong way due to his actions in the past (we get that he served his punishment, but what he did is still unforgivable to A LOT of people) and the guy does not contribute a damn thing to the team. So you pissed off your fans and added to the "Jets circus media BS" for a backup that didn't want to practice or prepare?

5. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

It appears this is the Geno Doesn't Suck That Bad Thread. Great reading!

hornblower likes this.
  6. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

With the NFL being so popular, you have a lot of fans that simply don't understand the game. I do agree that our offensive line played poorly in pass defense this year, but I don't think Geno helped them out much. One thing that bothered me was that Geno failed to make pre-snap blitz protection adjustments. I think part of that can be on our coaching staff, as I noticed that the play clock was always near the end when the offense was getting set (play was coming in late from the sidelines). The facts are: There are very few "GOOD" quarterbacks in the NFL. Andy Dalton/Jay Cutler/Krapernick are all getting MAX contracts! That should tell you enough about how "easy" it is to find a franchise QB. It has also been proven in the last few years (albiet only once or twice) that once "mediocre QB's" can be transformed by the right offensive mind (McCown/Trestman).

7. Big Blocker

Your use of the word "polarizing" gave your pov away. there was no evidence that the players on the team had an issue with Vick. I think you are talking about the dog thing. I get that. But it really had nothing to do with what happened on the Jets this past season.

Lack of preparation was more on the CS and expecting him to go along with the fake competition.

There is no evidence Vick hurt smith. Next!

8. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Excellent points, Hoe does buffy know enough to sit down a first round bust get a viable old pro and almost makes the playoffs while we sat with Geno and no viable back up?

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Of course that we know that he does suck that bad.

10. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

If I had to guess, I would say no -- he will not be a winning QB in this league.

11. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

Correct, there is no evidence that Vick hurt Geno in any way. I am theorycrafting here based on what I saw this season. Vick was clearly brought in (due to his experience with Marty's system in Philly) to help Geno learn the system.. Well, the results speak for themselves. And when I speak about polarizing, I am not talking about the players. I am speaking for the many fans who are disgusted by what the man did several years ago. From a business perspective it's just a bad decision when you are ALREADY AT ODDS with your fanbase (PSL's, Fireman Ed leaves/Tickets aren't selling/new stadium SUCKS/LUKEWARM feeling about the team in general). Can you dispute the last point please?

#91 Rictor33, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  12. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

Sorry, but Kyle Orton is not the answer for any team.... Ever. Yes, he happened to not be a mess like EJ Manuel (who has never shown anything resembling starter material on the field). I wish things were different, but at this point in time we are better off having Geno compete with a cheaper veteran/late draft pick and a new, young OC. Who the hell wants to be stuck with Brian Hoyer for 4 years?

13. Big Blocker

geez for a newbie you're very opinionated. No problem with that, except ignoring how much Orton helped the Bills undermines your... oh wait you don't have any cred.

FlaJet likes this.
  14. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

Sounds like you are saying that my opinion is less valid because I didn't take the time to post as many messages as some other members. Is that correct? Last time I checked, I was pretty sure the Bills had a winning record based on one of the league's best defenses and Orton was in more of a "game management" type role. But then again, I have no "CRED" so I am obviously an idiot who has no idea what he's talking about.

15. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

You don't have to be sorry. I say we HAVE to find a better option than Geno. That's why we have to have people who know and recognize talent. Hoyer shouldn't even be in the picture but I dare say he would beat Geno out in a competition. Now if Geno stays and excels than I will gladly eat crow..

16. Big Blocker

I thought you would misread my post. I said you ignored that Orton improved the Bills performance.

17. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

So the reason we were bad this year is all Geno's fault? Just trying to get a better idea of where you stand. Have you taken a look at the crop of FA QB's? Do you think it would be wise to sign any of them to a long term deal? We already invested capital in Geno, and he has better tools than ALL of the FA QB class. So why not give him a chance to compete for the job under a new OC?

18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I don't know. He still makes a couple of bonehead plays per game. If he can fix that, then maybe. I'm not expert enough to say one way or another.

19. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

In a word, no

20. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

If you gave him someone else's brain...