Is derrick mason going to sign?????

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by section134, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I will catch shit for this but Randy Moss on one side, Plax on the other with Holmes in the slot sounds good to me. No one out there still can help us as much as Moss. People will always bitch the he is an idiot but he will be motivated to play i think. If Mason goes back to BMore or Tenn then go get Moss and lets get the season started.

2. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

Last year
    # of recievers drafted in rounds 5 and 6: 8
    Number that made the roster: 6
    Number that were active in at least 1 game:5
    Number that had a reception in a game: 3

The only player out of 8 that made a noticable impact was Antonio Brown who caught the winning TD pass against us in the playoffs. But he didn't start earlier in the season and he was not #3 or #4 on thoer depth chart.

Assuming this kid is going to be #3 is a little much.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

And what we didn't realize was how bouncing from slot to outside CB was hurting Wilson as he learned the defense. The learning curve for a CB is harder than it is for a slot WR.

We can't pronounce a slot WR who has never played a NFL game great yet, and of course he's going to make the team. Its rare a team cut or PSs a 5th round pick at a position that lacks depth.

Can we can a spade a spade and say that he's a rookie who's impressing at camp and will get the opportunity to show what he has? I feel that too many posters are taking this praise to the extreme in saying he's being crowned.

4. blackssmagic

what if edelman or tate get released in NE?

5. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

We can, but a guarantee if he catches a single TD pass in any of the preseason games we will have to listen to a whole season of "Why isn't Kerley active" or "Shotty needs to give Kerley a chance". Its just like the Clown all over again.

6. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Moss is retired, but he would be a definite upgrade over Mason IMO. He has that motivation issue, but being in the last phase of his career, Im not sure what type of motivation he'll need. Its not we'd sign him to long contract and he'd want out of it.

I don't think Moss unretires unless he's offered at least 2 years.

7. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

Good point, I clearly wasn't thinking about that. I hope I'm wrong and we found a gem.

8. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

Im not really worried about it.. I think we'll be fine if we dont get Mason...

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Gettis was pushed into action due to injuries and did pretty well. He's an outside WR

Brown was on a team with 3 veteran WRs. Mike Wallace became the #1 WR last season. Ward and Randle El were ahead of him. He saw time in 4 WR sets.

Briscoe has the other Wallace ahead of him. He plays on the outside. He's not a slot WR.

Kyle Williams is a slot guy, but he has people ahead of him, and he probably isn't very good.

Carlton Mitchell is not a slot WR.
    Kerry Meier is not a slot WR.

Riley Cooper can play in and out on the line. He was on ST.

David Reed found a place on ST.

So its safe to say that Kerley is going to play ST, and if he continues to impress he'll find himself 3rd on the chart.

This team doesn't run many 3 WR sets anyway.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

When was Clowney's route running or quickness ever praised?

It wasn't. Clowney is a bad example because all he was was a speed threat who was too dumb to grasp anything else. We always heard about Clowney's potential, not his production. Clown was fast, nothing else.

We've heard about Kerley's quickness and his fast grasp of the offense. That's impressive and something to keep an eye on.

11. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

A one year sample is garbage, my point was that over the last few years we have seen some guys step into a slot role as rookies even with late draft slots. This post does nothing to dispute that.

12. blackssmagic

If we offered Moss 2 yrs for 4 mil total plus incentives that would be the best route to go. I think he would stay motivated on this team, with these players and coaches he would be fine. This gives us time to develop/draft our replacements.

13. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

In case it hasn't been mentioned Ravens Insider said Mason went home and is reviewing offers from us, Ravens, Titans, and one team not mentioned.

They said he'll take a few days to make his decision.

14. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

It would be nice to land Mason, but I doubt we will if we are indeed leaving money off the table.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

In 2006, that's a great idea.

16. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

I remember last year Brodney Pool was going to be the sleeper of the year based on training camp.

17. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

I like the idea of Moss, but with Kerley getting all this praise I don't see why we would not want to give him a shot and let him grow.

18. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

putting on my asbestos underwear for this...

If push comes to shove and they don't sign mason...what if we just play our TE #2 and put keller in the slot?

/flame on

19. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

If Jeremy Kurley keeps going the way he has been, they just might throw Kurley in the slot.

20. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Who dat?????

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.