Is derrick mason going to sign?????

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by section134, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

like Plaxico? like Hunter? like Pool? like Smith?

And when you have such a top heavy roster, you can't be giving out multi-million dollar deals to guys who don't deserve them. The alternative is to lose a guy like Cromartie or Holmes. Can't do it.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Wow, so it really is just a $1 million no guarenteed money deal. Crazy. He made more last year i'd assume and had a great year.

3. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

OF course... We're not taklng about big increases here and it would get it done in both cases.

4. #28Martin

Plaxico is a star.

They were desperate for Hunter with Moore's situation and Woody retiring.

What did Pool sign for? Heard it was almost nothing and he left money on the table.

5. ........

........ Trolls

Well, he's an excellent run defender and he led the team in sacks last season. Granted, he only had 6, but he was at LEAST as good as the other OLBs on the market. The argument for cutting and signing someone else (which I myself made) was to get younger at the position, but the FO is being awfully careful with getting younger only when able to get better at the same time, or when it makes sense to commit money to an available player. Lawson and Roth didn't fit the bill.

6. ........

........ Trolls

Yes. He made 5 times that last season. I'm guessing that 90 catches and the Pro Bowl are separate incentives, and that there are lower incentives as well. He'll probably stand to make $1.5 - 2 mil tops.

7. ........

........ Trolls

Hunter means nothing to Moore's situation. That's why Turner was so important.

There's a reason why they're not able to pay guys like Pool. We have a rather broad base as far as our stars are concerned. We simply can't afford to have quality FA depth at every position. I don't believe Pool's contract has been released, so I'm not sure how you heard it was almost nothing. He did indeed leave money on the table, but he also signed on for just this year. He may feel that another solid season will net him a big increase in the offers he receives.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
    One more note on Braylon Edwards contract - if he has a "solid" starting type year, projects to make slightly under $2M in 2011

9. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Why are you complaining about what player have AGREED to play for? Nobody is holding a gun to these guys heads telling them to sign the contract.

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

how does wanting to play a larger role on a team and advance his career in any way, shape or form reflect how good of a teammate he was when on the team?

fact is the amount of money he earns is directly related to his performance, not his potential or ability, and stuck as a third or fourth option on the Jets clearly limits the opportunities that would be available to him, and thus limit his earning potential. he has been a team player for a long time and never opened his mouth, sacrificing his earning potential, but at some point if he believes he is being under-utilized, and thus will be under-paid because of it, a man is going to ask for another opportunity. none of which reflects negatively on his being a good teammate or even being a team player. it makes him a man with an aggressive, self-confident view of his abilities, how he should be utilized and the level he should be performing to to increase his earning potential to where it should be.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Were you looking in a mirror when typed that? If so, that would be the most
    accurate post you've made since the "I was wrong" thread.

12. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

I think the FO may have played themselves as far as the WR position gies IMO. If Mason doesn't sign..who's out there? How close is Floyd to signing with Baltimore?

I think the last two weeks has been a bad one for the Jets front office.

13. jets1988

jets1988 Member

This sucks if he signs somewhere else and Cotch asked for his release. Who else would we go after?

14. #28Martin

Who are you?

15. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

I would try to sign Malcolm Floyd. Didn't like him as a number 2, but as a 3/4? Good signing.

16. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Nobody leaves money on the table, especially the ones that haven't had mega deals in the past.

17. jaybny

jaybny Banned

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/6227/the-latest-on-the-mason-situation?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

18. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

someone who dwarfs your intelligence.

19. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Could it be the the FO placed too much stock in the "everyone wants to play for Rex" theory?
    I mean we really have to put down the Kool-Aid and see how this off season was handled without the rose colored glasses.

We lost Brad Smith because of our relentless persuit of a player that wasn't vital to our defense and also lost out on whatever players could have helped us improve our pass rush by having tunnel vision.Then we have to overpay Cromartie a bit to make up for it.

We lose out on signing Braylon,a guy who has had success with us and a player familiar with our system,who also happens to have chemistry with our YOUNG QB.
    We didn't know the trouble that was ahead at that bar at the time so it can't be used as an excuse.

We lose another very good player in Cotchery because the CS didn't think he was worth $ 1.5 million,which is like minimum wage for the type of player and team mate he is. Again taking away a target Sanchez has chemistry with.Then we look to replace him with a guy thats 37yo.

How anyone,especially Rex,can think this team is stronger then last years is not being honest with themselves.This FO/CS seems to have a sense of entitlement. Like it can do whatever it wants like asking Brad Smith to wait before he signs with anyone else until the see if they could get Aso.Who the hell do they think they are?

I love this team and I wouldn't want anyone else as my head coach but i'm calling it like i see it and i'm not impressed with the job the FO/CS has done this off season.I think they thought they could under pay and get away with it because they had Rex Ryan as their coach.
    I think we found out they were mistaken.

20. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I know the Ravens have offered him $3 mill on a 3 or 4 year contract. 6' 5 dude isn't necessarily what we need but it sure couldn't hurt.

He only played in 11 games last year and caught 6 TDs, that could only help with our RZ issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.