is cromartie overrated?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetRizing89, Dec 27, 2010.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Sometimes there's no defense for a perfect pass junc. I think you're nuts, I have no idea what you saw in Sheppard and why you're trying to make it sound like Cromartie is always beat. The guys getting beat are mostly the nickel/dime backs and safeties.

He's obviously not Revis, but no one is.

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Yeah Lito was so awesome last year that he was benched for the most important game of the season. Lito Sheppard sucks. This is not Cromartie's fault.. the safety play is not nearly as good this year and there is zero pass rush.

3. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

WHOA.... Elite ELITE????????

I think that's part of your problem right there....

It's no secret what Cromartie is... an extremely talented Pea Brain who has trouble tackling....

I'd bet about 90% of the people who have watched him play would say that.....

BUT, what fans hoped for was that in a System with a DC who PRESSURES THE QB and with a Shut down CB on the other side and a decent Saftey field general, the craxy Blitz schemes would allow for a lot of ball being thrown up Cromarties way where he could get some INT"S and take advantage of being on an ALREADY SOLID DEFENSE.

This isn't the case at all....

In reality, the rest of the defense has been very vanilla and is leaving Cromartie out on his own in man coverage with all the time in the world for the WR to get open.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I agree but that pass was far from perfect, Cromartie had no ball awarenss. if he did he easily makes that play. that was a Favre-like throw it up for grabs pass and Cromartie was beaten on it.

I didn't say Lito was aweseom, I said he was better in 2009 than Cromartie has been in 2010.

So the guy we ran out of town, Rhodes, was better than what we had this year? I thought the Safeties were going to be so much better w/o that bum Rhodes?

It's not all on Cromartie but he has played terrible football, if he played like he is capable of playing our D looks MUCH, MUCH better.

5. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

Cromartie has definitely started playing worse second half of the season, Lito was good for the first three games last year, got hurt, came back and sucked. I think most people will look at Cromartie and think he's been getting beat a lot because its a recent thing with him, he stopped getting physical at the line with receivers, he was looking so good when he was and he just stopped.

And our pass rush was sucking balls second half of the season, there were so many threads bitching about it and so many people expecting D-line to be addressed at the draft. The pass rush put together a good three game run and got embarrassed at the AFCCG, when Manning stood around with all the time in the world.

So all in all, Crom has been faltering, but he has been 100x better then Lito, the pass rush though, fell apart last year and was not addressed which is why it looks worse this year.

#85 JetsYankeesThrylos, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  6. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Picking on the wrong guy.

For a guy making $1.7 million he's been fantastic.

He held it down while Revis was gone and since the return of Revis, Cromartie has been asked to cover the more dynamic players in many games.

Compare that value to the salary of Revis, on top of the fact that Revis sorely hurt this team by his actions early on.

#86 MadBacker Prime, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

someone mentioned this earlier this year and it appears to be absolutely correct.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

deion sanders was a fast kick returner who never met a sideline he didn't like. i think he confused the sidelines for the goalline because that's exactly what he headed for every time. if he played against the jets today, we'd bring sal back.

back to cro, no one was complaining when he shut randy moss down cold after the revis 'injury' in game 2.

but cro does seem kinda lanky and out of control at times, kinda like a new born moose calf running for it's life.

9. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

covering Wallace all day in pittsburgh was huge. wallace had over 100 yards receiving, but i thought Cro did a great job that day. Wallace probably ran over 40 verticals in that game. that's alot of covering to do. no easy task. I think cro has been great this year, nothing less. glad he's in there.

10. nyjunc

Who cares what he is making? he is going to want a HUGE pay raise. We happened top get him at the end of his rookie deal. he played his best for us early in the year while revis was out and he still wasn't great. he got abused by Brandon Marshall, his best game was the 2nd half against Moss and who knew at the time Moss had already packed it in? He got beat for the TD to get Minnesota going on that Monday Night, he's been beaten consistently all year long.

maybe I am too hard on him b/c of how great revis is but you just cannot get beat as consistently as Cromartie has been and call that a good season.

Wallace was open all day long and would have had a few more catches if not for Cromartie getting away w/ a couple of PIs. he abused Cromartie.

11. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Trading a 2nd or 3rd round pick for possibly a one year rental is just absurd. This should have been a 5th round pick and moves up to a 4th round pick if Cromatie is on the Jets in 2011. AJ Smith took advantage of the Jets.

12. MadBacker Prime

HUH?!?

Up until the past 2 games Cromartie has been killing it. He single handedly saved our season while Revis was out.

He has been great this year, not everyone is Revis.

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

He's a fast "rangy" athlete, that has shown the ability to stop some top flight receivers at times, but he is also a bit of a "one-trick-pony" in that his effectiveness is a bit limited to the taller down-the-field, speed type receivers with similar physique. He has been toasted by the shifty and physical guys, and is shit in run support as he hits like a sissy (hence SD's willing to trade him)

He's a good player, and A good compliment to Revis, but yes, a bit overrated. Could be part of a great trio if they could have a shifty nickle back to cover slot guys across the middle.

It was a position of need for a team that beat by the passing game in the AFCG, but I just hope the draft pick doesn't become too steep, for a 1 year rental.

Lito Sheppard played pretty well last year..... before he got hurt. Unfortunately injuries have been a staple of his career, hence Philly willing to trade him for what they did.

:shit:

14. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

Receivers tend to get open when there is no pressure at all on the QB.
    Roethlisberger was baking pizzas in the pocket during that game.

15. MadBacker Prime

Should be noted that the pizzas did not want to be baked but Ben did it anyway.

16. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

thus opening the oven door for coleman to steal a few slices-lol

17. nyjunc

He's been killing it but the "it" has been the Jets defense.

He has been barely average this year. he had a good stretch while revis was out(you think Brandon Marshall goes off on usif revis is on him like he did against cromartie?) and that is it. The trade has not been a success.

How come Hines Ward wasn't torching us? We can make all the excuses we want but the fact is Cromartie has not done a good job this year.

18. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Because Revis is one step below a god.

If we are comparing him to Revis he hasn't been good. If we are comparing him to every other corner in the league he has done a good job this season.

19. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

Then we'll agree to disagree on this. No problemo.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a PFF account?

I see Cromartie is tied for 5th in the league for passes defended with 17 but that doesn't tell us much without knowing how often he was targeted or how many yards/td he allowed.