Interesting Wilkerson Quote

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Umphpool, Sep 29, 2014.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

1. Wanting to be a fan of a perennial winner is what every fan dreams about. If you are a fan of the Jets and the way they lose because you think it builds character, you are a sucker.

2. Players don't put forth their best effort every game. Maybe on every team there are a couple that do, but you can tell during rivalry games that teams spend more energy making plays than they do in non conference games, it's totally obvious.

3. Capitalism thrives more through creating culture with advertising than it does with the quality of product.

#61 abyzmul, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

So just when a team is struggling and frustrated and could use fan support the most, it's fine to scream insults and boo them? A true fan would save their bets cheers for when the team needs it the most.

If you really want to boo your own team then wait until the team gives up and just going through the motions.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Well, the nice part is that the most vehement darksiders on this forum have either never owned season tickets or only own them to sell to other fans.

4. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, I only want my team to win. I find losing unacceptable. I feel perfectly secure in my criticism of losing football (and poor performance - players, coaches, front office, owner - that leads to losing football). Being a bandwagon fan is switching allegiances based on performance or ignoring a team when it loses. As my this conversation about this sh-tty team proves, I'm not a bandwagon fan. But nice try.

He can say (and think) whatever he wants. But if his opinion or comments mirrored this statement you just ascribed to him, it would make him an idiot. Have you ever been President or in the U.S. Congress? No? Then you can't complain about the government. Ever been a cop? No? Then you can't complain about policing. Ever been airline pilot? No? Then don't bitch when your plane crashes (it's hard!). It's imbecilic logic to think you have to be an NFL player to have an opinion (including a valid opinion) on an NFL player/team/coach's performance. Belichick was never an NFL player; is he allowed to have an opinion on whether or not an NFL player sucks? How about Parcells? Joe Gibbs? Bill Walsh?

Two thoughts:

1. Your comment seems to incorrectly suggest I am a part of the team and somehow responsible for its performance. I'm not.
    2. The booing and attacking really isn't directed at the player (in this case Geno) - it's not his fault he sucks. The booing is directed at Rex/Idzik for continuing to play him and either (a) not having a valid alternative on the roster, or (b) having one - Vick - and not playing him. And it's not just this year in a vacuum - the same protect-the-fragile-minded-QB-at-all-costs nonsense went on for four years with Sanchez, too.

I voice my complaints in all kinds of ways - including not buying tickets (which really isn't hard because I live 1700 miles away from the Meadowlands).

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

One more time FG. These are Grown Men playing football for a living. This is not Pop Warner. This isn't the NCAA. This is the NFL and I'd like to think these are Men playing this game. We're told all the time that football players are "alphas" for the most part. Well if that's true, then whether someone is booing or not should not factor into their play. If these Men are so weakminded that fan reaction affects how they play, then perhaps we should change the way they get paid. Perhaps that would put more steel in their spines.

How about this: Fans stop booing in return for...

-Drop a easy pass? 20% deduction from game check.
    -Throw a pick 6? 20% deduction from game check.
    -Miss a tackle? 5%
    -Penalties? 10% deduction per penalty

I could go on but I think you get my point. When the team is frustrated and losing, the reason isn't because fans are booing, its because other teams are playing better than the team on whole. As I said earlier, sometimes your best isn't good enough to win and that's a talent issue or perhaps even a scheme issue. You either get better or you keep losing. Fan booing or not...

Let me ask you this: Would you rather silence instead? You can't cherry pick. You want fans to cheer instead of boo? Play better instead of worse. Of course Woody could cheat like some team did a while ago and put speakers in the stadium to amp the noise levels far above what they really are. I'm sure that would go over just great with the Jets and the League.

They even could employ noise cancelling technology. Amp up the cheering and block all booing. There you go! The perfect solution for all those hurt feelings and bruised egos in the lockerroom.

#65 Cman68, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Must we really wait until the entire team has given up or can we direct our dissatisfaction at the guy who looks like the first to throw in the towel? I'm not talking about booing the QB the first time a pass sails or booing an RB that slips and falls behind the line, I'm talking about an OL guy who gets beat three plays in a row and it looks like he's not even trying to stay in front of his man. I'm talking about bonehead offside or motion penalties that appear to be from not paying attention. I'm talking about successive three and outs which bring into question the actions of the coaching staff as well as the players. Dropped passes, blown routes, half assed "shoulder tackles" and wide open opposition receivers don't deserve a nod and a wink.

This whole subject is the same as when should a fan cheer. Should we wait until the game is over to applaud a win or is each noble effort worth a response? Likewise, I'm not waiting until the clock hits 0:00 to show my displeasure in a loss. Any player or coach who hears jeers should be looking to see if that is a shoe that fits them and do something about it.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Bonehead off sides penalties should be booed. In fact I think the boos are working....Colon seems to be paying more attention.

But as far as Winters getting beat like a red headed step child, save your boos for Idzik.

8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Seriously? When did millions become not that much? How much I earn must be too low to even be quantified based upon this.

Booing individual players who are making the same mistakes, every game, costing wins is our right as fans. Giving them a pass because some owners may make more than them? Nope, not gonna happen. What do you do the years the team doesn't show a profit? Is that the year it is OK to boo the players? Do we wait for the owners to open the books to make sure who we should berate?
    They make millions, just being a man you should be able to accept criticism if you are not doing your job correctly, for those millions they make they damn well better be able to accept the criticism.

9. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

It seems Jets fans use booing as some sort of a badge of honor. I'll boo from time to time, but only in certain situations. Some fans are just overly negative. There's too much vitriol among Jets fans due to not winning in so long. Well, that's not these players' fault. You root for this team because you hope they win, not because you want an outlet to unleash anger.

I understand the fans are the paying customers and all that, but bringing a negative attitude permeates everything, and some fans are just negative about everything. That doesn't help foster winning.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Booing is a fan's right but it should make sense; too many boo early and boo often. Where do you draw your line? What is worthy of your jeers and what gets a pass?

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I can totally see the Player's union going along with this.

12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

this was the line in that article that threw me - who the hell thought that this was going to be a confidence builder and an easy win for the Jets? The Lions are a better team (or at least they have a much better QB which is about 90% of being a good team nowadays) and were always the favourites to win this game. Its not like we were playing the Jags (or the Raiders again).

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yeah right... :)

14. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

You only quoted half of the post. It is ok to boo, but to personally attack an athlete and say shit that you wouldn't have said to him if you weren't separated by the stands is weak. I wouldn't feel appropriate telling a professional athlete that he "fucking sucks and needs to get injured." I'm sure what was said was not too far from that.