I'm quickly running out of excuses for Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Dec 20, 2023.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Understood.

2. jetophile

Yeah, I guess so in some regard, but knowing The Chimps limitations, it didn't make a ton of sense regardless. The Jets FO made it sound - including Tannenbaum - and even SAID - oh, no, watch out for the Jets double threat/constant trick plays! We're gonna get so wildy creative, other teams heads will spin! We see how that worked out; and then the media fawned all over Tim Tebow and how the Jets jobbed him and maligned his massive talent and "ruined his career". The reality was Tim Tebow became radioactive via his very own suckage.

I really think Tannenbaum's most egregious miscalculation was chasing Revis and bending to his hostage taking demands. Some folks tend deflect that fully onto Revis, but the real response would've been to tell Revis to jump in a lake and hold up somebody else. Tannenbaum was falling all over himself to get it done. Boneheaded move IMO.

3. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

You just reminded me of something I had kinda forgotten in all the years of incompetence since. Cannot believe I didn't think of this.

After the Jets surprised people in 2009, we were in a similar position to where we were this past offseason. Some differences in personnel needs but overall, we were a few pieces away from really contending and we went all in at the expense of future years. We didn't get it done, and then the cap hits started to come due.

Unfortunately, we have done it again. Instead of staying the course, we decided to rob the future to pay the present and unless a miracle occurs next year, we're gonna be in for 3-4 years of absolute misery (again).

I've been saying we're crippling the future for a few weeks but had not correlated it directly to having done it in 2010.

Geez it sucks being a fan of this shitbag team.

4. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

Sauce, Wilson, JJ & Breece. Greatest early draft picks in one year since D'Brick & Mangold in the first.

5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

None of those were "smart picks" - if you look at pre-draft rankings for 2022:
    - Sauce was the 5th ranked player and #1 CB
    - Wilson was the 6th ranked player and #1 WR
    - JJ was the 14th ranked player and #4 DE
    - Hall was the 30th ranked player and #1 RB

So all we basically did was take the consensus best available CB, WR and RB as our picks came up and took the highest rated DE (as the top 3 had all gone) after a trade up (and query whether that was a good move) - it is lucky that they've all (broadly) panned out but it's not like we did anything particularly smart here

SackRecord99, mezzavo and abyzmul like this.
  6. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

Dwayne Robertson was the #1 consensus DT prospect in 2003. Vernon Gholston was highly regarded as a Hybrid LB / DE prospect coming out of Ohio State. I get what you're saying but that draft class will go down as the best in Jets history.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think the first 4 picks of that draft are brag worthy, but Ruckert so far seems like the one other player from 2022 that could turn into something. And the coaching staff that Joe Douglas hired can't seem to figure out how to use those players well at all. GW and Breece only get to touch the ball more than a few times in a handful of games, Sauce is lost and forgotten in a zone on one side and JJ has to share snaps with inferior players because of that rotation that Saleh can't do without. From other drafts, AVT has been moved to tackle 2 seasons in a row and shortly afterward lost for the season both times. Michael Carter II was an excellent pick and I am starting to think he needs to start over Reed, but that won't happen because of the contract. It doesn't seem like Joe and his main employee are as synced up as they have claimed.

Joe can hang his hat on the Adams trade, the Darnold trade and those 4 picks. Aside from those things and a small handful of role players, Joe Douglas has a lot more failure than success.

Ralebird, mezzavo, ouchy and 2 others like this.
  8. jetophile

A parallel universe for sure.

You'd think the Brett Pevre Experiment would have curbed future dolt dumb as rocks decisions. No, of course not. But this time it's different! And then this time it's different! And now THIS time it's different! I feel like I ate a bowl of drugs. I just don't understand how the sins of the father keep getting repeated when no-one is related to one another. Oh, no, wait a second, there's that Hackett thing. o_O

The_Darksider likes this.
  9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

It was a great class and taking the highest ranked prospect isn't any sort of guarantee (just look at Leonard Williams who every expert pretty much agreed was the best player in the whole draft) all I am saying is it isn't like the Jets FO identified real value or spotted some talent later in the draft all they did was do what any "robo-picker" would do pretty much so the only credit they should get is not doing something mad like the Raiders always used to do

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The Joe Douglas Draft Chart
    Courtesy of Joe Caporoso...

[​IMG]

#90 Acad23, Dec 28, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

7 starters in 4 drafts. While giving up 3 starters at the time to add to the picks (Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams, Sam).

Btw, these who say that it was unusual for JD to lose a trade, citing Rodgers trade as an anomaly, how about Leonard Williams trade? We only got a 3d for him in his prime from the Giants. Giants then rode him for 4 prime years, AND got a 2nd as he is approaching 30 next year.

SackRecord99 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. abyzmul

Zaire Barnes and Jarrick Bernard-Converse are all over the place in Madden, but I totally forgot they weren't computer generated.

13. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

That draft chart alone should be grounds for his firing. What a disgrace.

And that doesn't even take into account all of the rest of this guy's blunders. But, of course, we all know that Woody rewards incompetence, so Douglas will probably be here for another decade and get a statue outside the stadium.

14. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Does this chart only exist for the Jets? I'd love to see how this stacks up to other teams in easy to read terms like this. I'd think his 2021-2023 drafts are at least middle of the pack

I want to like Joe Douglas, because I don't think he's an idiot. I don't want the Jets to fire him unless there is an actual proven guy available. If thats the case, I'll pack his bags.

He whiffed hard picking Zach Wilson. I can actually overlook that a bit. They were a QB needy team, and he was a consensus elite prospect. I dont know if there is a GM not making that pick. However, his handling of the backup QB position was almost fireable on its own. Zach is not a backup quality QB, at least not for this team.

His handling of the OL is more of a proof is in the pudding situation. In a vacuum, he made some good moves (at the time). Becton was an OK pick, AVT was a good pick, McGovern has turned out to be a good signing. Tomlinson was thought to have been a good move (it sucked). Tippman seems like a good pick. At the end of the day, the OL was atrocious for a majority of the year. Maybe it falls under coaching? I'm not sure, but the buck stops with JD.

Jets79 likes this.
  15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Zack Kuntz got re-signed by the Jets (I only noticed as its quite a hard name to forget)

edited - for some reason I thought the Giants had picked him up

16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

It is funny (not really) looking back at that 2020 draft - a lot of people had Mims down as the steal of the draft on the day :(

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That’s all that needs to be said really. Two bad drafts, one good one (with 4 top 40 picks…), and one that remains to be seen but there’s not a ton of upside at positions we need to fill.

He’s been relatively bad at signing free agents and he’s found a couple good waiver wire guys although they’re all realistically on defense.

We’ve also made it our mission to keep trying to find bodies along the defensive line (Rankins, Quinton Jefferson, Vinny Curry, Al Woods, Solomon Thomas) while ignoring some other parts of the team.

mezzavo and ouchy like this.
  18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I doubt it but it would be great if there was for comparison purposes

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

The Jets have been obsessed with the defensive line for years and years - the number of 1st round draft picks spent on it is nuts

20. abyzmul

It's more amazing when you realize how little of that time they have been able to generate a consistent pass rush.

Jets79, HomeoftheJets and mezzavo like this.