I'm quickly running out of excuses for Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Dec 20, 2023.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

not so sure about that, the book Collision Low Crossers gave a detailed view of his leadership.

Tannenbaum intensely interviewed prospects in the lead up to the draft. I’m convinced that he would’ve never drafted a Zach Wilson based on his philosophy btw

Jets81, ouchy and abyzmul like this.
  2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Douglas nailed it on Breeve Hall and Garrett Wilson. You have to give him that.

ouchy likes this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

God willing this is JD's last rodeo. He either fixes this OLine or walks the plank. Kal El will be back and hopefully lasts longer than 4 plays. Woody being the dumbass he is could be talked into 2 more losing seasons. Yes he is THAT FCKN STUPID.-

ouchy likes this.
  4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

He didn't "nail" Garrett Wilson. He was sitting there when we chose and if Douglas didn't take him there would've been another mutiny. That didn't require any type of special evaluation/strategic skills from a GM perspective to make that pick.

Breece Hall I'll give him credit for but again that was like a late 1st round pick so don't want to give him too much credit.

When it comes to his picks in the first round I largely judge Douglas on the misses because they can set a team back for years (see Zach Wilson).

Where I really judge a GM is what he does in the middle rounds (2-4) as that's where you can acquire several studs and build long term winning rosters. Douglas has continually failed and missed huge in this area.

I can't believe he's coming back next year. They should all be fired next season on the spot if they don't make the playoffs.

papapump, ouchy, JetDan and 2 others like this.
  5. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Agreed with all this. G. Wilson, Gardner and Hall a blind squirrel could have made those picks. That's fact. I could have made those picks and I'm a nobody.

The entire operation is a joke, from Woody on down, and there is NOTHING that should result in any of them maintaining their jobs. When this is all said and done this "team" of a Misfit front office will win another 5 or 6 games.........over the next TWO years. Write it down.

When we are talking about this, again, in 2025 we will have lost half the people on defense and ALL of the decent pieces on offense. NONE of these men want to be on a shit organization that champions losing.

papapump, ouchy, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  6. Cman68

Woody could give two shits about winning except if it's the back pages we're talking about. Bringing back the Stooges is proof.. Good thing Kal EL will be back as that will solve all the Jets' problems on the OLine and the sideline. Thing is, Kal EL can walk away from this shit storm and take his millions with him. Woody will still be here piloting this organization into the ground while selling the future to the few HOMERS who are left. As long as Woody owns this franchise, its going nowhere. That's the reality most of us see.

mezzavo, papapump and ouchy like this.
  7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I don’t agree with that view on drafting GW…there were plenty of good WR prospects still on the board that year, including both Olave and Jameson Williams (who both went right after we took GW), Dotson, Burks, etc. He made the right chose there for sure, but I didn’t at the time and still don’t characterize it as such an easy no-brainer. He had options there and chose the best one. Gotta give him credit for that.

I do agree though that the middle rounds are important like you say, and we’ve missed a lot there. He’s made up for some of that with his undrafted signings like Huff, or like picking up Quincy Williams who has been very good for us.

It’s easy to be angry because our record sucks and he’s had 4 drafts now. That I get. My biggest issue with JD is really the state of the OL…after 4 years on the job, it should AT LEAST be average. It’s not even close. And while I know he hasn’t ignored it, I know he’s spent 2 first round picks on OL and a few later picks, like a second and a few mid-rounders, and while I know injuries have been a big part of the mess, I still think that after 4 years it should be better. Every team has injuries.

Sure, I think we are the in the top two or three on number of different OL’s we’ve had to start, so you can’t ignore that, I still think that he has to own the poor state of the OL. He could have drafted Wirfs who was from an OL factory in Iowa instead of the bigger boom/bust pick in Becton. He could have tried harder to keep Moses. He could have tried to keep Fant. Plenty of decisions that were made turned out to be poor ones. So injuries or not, it should be much better, and that has been probably the biggest single factor in ruining our offense for 3 years running now.

Zach has been a bust…but would he have been better with a decent OL in front of him? How much I can’t say, but hard to argue that part of his turning into a bust isn’t due to the OL.

Anyway, JD’s record certainly warrants a firing, but he’s done a lot of good things in there too, and to me, I have so little faith in Woody’s ability to hire anyone decent, that I understand bringing him back for the run we should have had this year if AR doesn’t get hurt. But typical Jets luck…in a year where the Chiefs and Bills are both looking very vulnerable, the Pats outright suck, and we would have had a good shot at the playoffs, we get our QB hurt in the first drive and here we are.

So typical Jets…

westiedog1, Borat and ouchy like this.
  8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

This begs the question...do you think that Douglas will do what's needed this upcoming offseason to put the Jets in a position to have "the run" that you speak of?

I mean you just literally called out that his offensive line failings have been beyond reproach, and there's no arguing that. So do you have faith that this same guy who put together an awful OL the last 3 years running will now all of sudden pick better OL in the draft and via Free Agency? What are you basing this belief off of besides blind faith and hope? I would assume you're of the belief if they don't make the playoffs next year that they should all be canned, no questions asked.

One of the big problems with this pathetically run franchise is that when they fuck up (the way Douglas has) they just keep rolling the circus out there the following season and expect different results? That is the definition of insanity.

I've stated it here before and I will again. The Jets trainwreck, even with Rodgers at QB, will continue into the 2024 season UNLESS the Jets have an unbelievable offseason. Not average or mediocre which Douglas has shown time after time. I'm talking about a consensus A grade in the offseason. Douglas NEEDS to nail this offseason, no other way around it.

I don't have faith in Woody either but if ain't working then you gotta make a change. Period. I'm expecting a HUGE offseason out of Douglas in 2024, anything less and he should be gone.

ouchy likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Nathan Peterman beat the Colts by throwing a touchdown pass in a blizzard. You have to give him that too, but that doesn't mean he belongs in this league.

10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

No I get it…relying on the same guy who’s gotten us this OL after 4 years of trying to fix it to actually fix it in one offseason isn’t the best bet I can make.

Here’s how I look at it. I think JD KNOWS the OL sucks. I don’t think he’s a total idiot. I think he’s tried to fix it by using 2 first round picks on it, a 2nd round pick on it, and then a couple of 3rd/4th round picks on it. In his earlier years he really went low budget on tier 2 and tier 3 type free agents, most of whom have sucked, and then went in on top tier free agent in Tomlinson who he gave big bucks to but has also sucked. So it’s not like what we had with Idzik and Mac where they just ignored drafting OL for like 6/7 years straight between the two of them. That’s part of what JD inherited.

So I DO believe JD will TRY and fix the OL. I don’t know how he sees it, but to me, I think we need 2 starting caliber OTs, I think Becton can go unless he signs cheap, and I think we need one good IOL. The line is fixable, but saying we need 2 tackles is much easier than going and getting two good ones I know. I think we need to sign one in free agency and then use our 1st round pick on the other. I think we need to improve the WR group, and then not sure what’s going to happen to our safeties but we may need to replace a starter there too. And oh yeah, we gotta figure out a way to keep Huff if we can.

Lot’s to do.

I think JD knows he needs to fix the OL, but not sure if he WILL fix it. I’m not high on bringing in Bahktiari to please Rodgers though…we can’t afford to bring in injury guys…

We’ll see…

Borat, ouchy and JetsNation06 like this.
  11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Not getting your logic. I say a guy who almost ran for over a thousand yards would be more impressive than someone who threw a TD in a blizzard.

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm saying that even a broken clock is right twice a day.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. Cman68

JD just like the rest of the Loser CS, is safe for at least '24 and most likely beyond no matter the record next year with Kal EL. JD doesn't have to win, just appear to be working hard. Saleh doesn't have to win, just almost win. Hackett has Rodgers so its a wrap.

boozer32 likes this.
  14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Santonio Holmes, Team Captain! OK, I know that wasn't a draft situation (obviously), but the shyte Tannenbaum committed nearly canceled out the good altogether. Engaging Revis and grossly overpaying, grossly overypaying The Chimp, grossly overypaying Holmes . . . I think the pattern here is um, let's see now . . . OVERPAYING. So bean counter that he was, there were times he failed miserably at his supposed forte.

I can't go back and re-visit well, but, but, but, Holmes caught that PO TD vs the Cheats! At the end of the day that and a handful of pennies won't get me on the subway. I'm post-Christmas cranky. I hate my fcking family, lol.

ETA: Tannenbaum was also responsible for the Tebow Titanic. Then of course we all had to suffer through the Post-Little Timmy Pity Party and how the Jets ruined him when that guy won't suffer a bad day for the rest of his life. Smell familiar?

#74 jetophile, Dec 27, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  15. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Agreed. It also laid out the details of the Tebow deal. What’s funny is the one person in the room that was hesitant to bring h in was Woody. Rex pounded the table for Tebow in an airport with Tanny. He wanted him to replace Brad Smith. Rex had an affinity to sign guys that beat his defense. The reality is we paint Woody as a meddling owner, but truth be told he’s just an easily manipulated idiot. Such as being convinced by a couple crooks that they built a championship roster that was a 100m+ QB away from the SB.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah…meddling or not, just by looking at all the decisions he has made and who he has hired, it sure feels like he really knows very little about the game, about how to build a team, about how to build a front office, all of it.

He tried using a search firm and landed Idzik. He tried using a couple of former GMs but chose Casserly as the lead idiot and hired Casserly’s crony in Mac. JD was literally the first GM Woody hired that didn’t make you go “He hired WHO??” Whatever we think of JD’s performance 5 years in, at the time, he was a legitimate GM candidate with the right pedigree…something that was not even close with Idzik or Mac…neither of those guys was on anyone’s radar as their next GM, except of course our idiot.

Then the way he had both the HC and GM reporting to him…that could work if the owner is a football guy like an Al Davis or Jerry Jones. It sure doesn’t work when the owner is a clueless idiot who never built or earned anything in his life other than being born into it.

And he doesn’t know what to look for on the field results to know if he should stay the course or move on…how many years of Herm and Bowles did we have? It was clear they both sucked. Herm got us at least the one playoff appearance and that was enough for the Chiefs to actually trade for him, but the rest sucked. Rex got us the only real success we’ve had in 23 years, but Woody didn’t know how to real in Trader Tanny and it just blew up and Rex got too far out there with his success and he blew up too.

Just a complete incompetent.

17. BrowningNagle

Tannenbaum made his fair share of mistakes no doubt and the Teblow and Holmes debacles you identified were 2 of the biggest. I wasnt even saying he was a good GM, im conflicted on that. I was just saying I dont think he was an accountant who relied on others for football decision-making, he had a philosophy of his own
    --

I mentioned how he would not have liked Zach Wilson as a prospect because in the book Collision Low Crossers Tannenbaum spoke extensively how important it was for him to see how much a prospect needed or wanted football. He was borderline insane with the amount of interviews related to that.

I think he would've seen Zach Wilson as someone who didn't need football financially and wasn't fully committed to it mentally.

#77 BrowningNagle, Dec 27, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
    SackRecord99 likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

I agree with this assessment of Woody Johnson. He routinely gets manipulated by big personalities in football and outside of football

Since1969 likes this.
  19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Bringing Tebow in wasn't such a terrible idea other than the media circus it brought with it. Remember, Rex's OC was Tony Sparano who used the Wildcat successfully in Miami. Tebow, who was more feared as a runner than passer seemed ideal for the job. The problem is that the Wildcat only works if you have an offense that doesn't rely on it. In other words if your offense finds itself constantly in long yardage situations, as the Jets did with Sanchez that year, you should be wary of using it. The Wildcat is harder to stop on 3rd and 2, than 3rd and 8 when Rex tried to use it a lot.

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The real comparison is the numbers.

Mike Tannenbaum was 57-55
    (fired)
    John Idzik was 12-20
    (fired)
    Mike Maccagnan, was 24-40
    (fired)
    Joe Douglas is 26-55
    (Kept for consistency)

And JD literally had 3 times more resources than the others. 12 top 50 picks, over 100 million in FA. All of it gone and here we are trying to cobble together one last winning season for the 20s. Woody needs to get real.