I'm quickly running out of excuses for Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Dec 20, 2023.

1. Jaybranch23

Jaybranch23 Active Member

Not so great with his salary cap management and his habit of trading up in the draft - so toward the end there we had no cap or draft capital. It was rough after those runs.

people shit on JD - but the alternative will be really bad given our history of finding GMs in our recent history. JD’s pick of Zach was bad off the bat (I think a lot of folks on here were very wary of the choice while it was being considered and after it was made) - but let’s not pretend Zach wasn’t the consensus 2nd pick in that draft at the time. Sure, after a year or a few years it’s easy to say we should have traded back - but at the time - everyone wanted a new QB and given Brandon Mann’s tackling prowess - we lost the chance to get what turned out to be the only good QB in that draft.

for the O-line - we have thrown so much resources at the position it’s crazy. We’ve had a shit ton of bad luck. Becton being made of glass and losing his athleticism was something that could not be assumed - he had been healthy his whole college career (I wanted the Iowa guy - but he was a RT and I can see why they chose the LT to there at the time). We lost mid round guys to career ending injuries; AVT is also made of glass and the injury luck on the line as been just crazy and having a clueless QB “calling” protections put the line in terrible position to succeed all the time. Not choosing to keep Moses was a mistake - but every GM has a few of those. The result of the O-line wasn’t for a lack of trying to improve it and better choices could have been made - but to say we’ve been snake bit is an understatement.

this roster - really other than the o-line and WR after GW is pretty strong (I guess you can say back-up Qb - we do still have AR - so we are set at starter for 2 years). He’s also made great moves - the JA theft; signing Huff, Tony Adams as UDFA; getting JFM and Williams off the scrap heap and, I know we still need to see the fruit of the deal, getting AR.

need a really good offseason - upgrading the tackle positions on the o-line and getting a 1b WR - but if that can be done - this will be a good team with Aaron Rodgers. Don’t forget - this guy is a top 5 QB of all time two years off back to back MVP seasons. He’s old - but I’d bet he’ll be top 10 qb in the NFL next year

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm insulting Tannenbaum right now by putting Douglas in the same sentence as him.

NYJetsO12, BacktoQueens and Borat like this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not much of an insult, Tanny was responsible for Wayne F and the disintegration of that roster. There's no clear-cut good GM for this team. He was only as good as the football guys he had working with him.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Whoever he had working for him, the AFC Championship rosters were built on his watch. Overall he was mediocre considering he also left behind a mess, but at least he did some good things unlike a certain other GM.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I've been an ardent detractor of JD after his first season with the Jets so I never had any excuses for him in the first place :)

to be fair he did seem good to begin with as the previous GMs had all been so abysmal but he has proven to be as bad as any of them

basically if he hadn't found a sucker to take Jamal Adams and hadn't got lucky with the '22 draft (though I am not yet fully convinced by either player) he would be considered one of the worst GMs we've ever had

JohnnyJet and tomdeb like this.
  6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Agreed. And nobody from the offensive coaching staff was fired despite the Jets having an historically bad, unwatchable offense.

JohnnyJet and ouchy like this.
  7. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I remember watching a Jet game against the 49ers when Kapernick was the QB and thinking the 49ers look liked professionals and the Jets look liked amateurs. That was a LONG time ago and for the Jets, nothing has changed. The 49ers had a tough year or 2 since then and built back to being a championship caliber team. This never seems to happen to the Jets though.

8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yes, Hacket is horrible.

9. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

His free agency signings have been atrocious. Except for DJ Reed and a few others.

tomdeb likes this.
  10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

This made me laugh out loud.

BacktoQueens and The_Darksider like this.
  11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Great points. Tannenbaum was an accountant but he knew his role. Mangini drafted pretty well. They just had some bad luck with Pennington not being able to stay healthy.

12. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Sell the news. wall street 101. That’s why you always trade the #2 in that scenario.

13. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

You need to look at the drafts from 2006 - 2012. In 2006 alone, Tannenbaum drafted more long term starting players then St. Joe has drafted in his entire tenure.

Losmeister, Jets81, papapump and 2 others like this.
  14. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

All those horrible roster choice excuses hinge on ONLY one thing. St. Joe's LACK of accurate talent evaluation. For that reason alone, and there are MANY, MANY other large gaffs, he is not qualified to be a GM in this league. My dog drawing names of remaining available players out of a hat would do a better job. AND NONE OF IT IS BAD LUCK, OR SOME SPOOKY MYSTICAL KARMA. He is incapable of performing the duties of the job, unless you consider that his goal was to build a losing team. Because that is what is on the field.

Tamba_Trio, mezzavo, Borat and 2 others like this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think if you split the Tanny drafts between the Mangini era and the Rex era, you get a clearer picture of how little Tanny involved himself in personnel outside of trades and contracts.

JohnnyJet likes this.
  16. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

Agreed, but that 2006 draft in one draft outperformed St. Joe's entire tenure. And that's a bad look.

Be careful with those turkeys, I'm a former pastry chef and understand deep frying. And thank you for being so kind to donate your time to a good cause.

Merry Christmas!!

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Who has been worse at FA than JD ?

Terrible high contracts for subpar production, generally less production than what was already rostered, and did nothing to advance progress in both the short and the long term in a 5 year span.
    That’s how you rebuild !

18. BacktoQueens

I gotta call out the Tannebaum “was only good as those around him” tilt.
    He drafted Brick, Mangold and Revis which was amazing.
    If you want to somehow want to credit all that to the coach rather than the entire FO responsible for drafting, how do you square wasting first round picks on Gholston and Keller?

GMs role also has way more to do than drafting, which can be a crapshoot.
    Tanny acquired Thomas Jones, Kris Jenkins, Brett Favre, Calvin Pace, Alan Faneca, Damien Woody,,,,,; was that all Mangini?
    If so why did they still suck?

Tanny identified that the team quit on a useless coach two years running after acquiring all that talent.

He then hired a much better coach, brought on Shonn Green, Braylon Edwards, Bart Scott, Jim Leonard, Santonio Homles, Tony Richardson, LT, Cromarite, Snacks….that’s why the team was good.
    he also resigned players from past regimes like Cotchery, Brandon Moore, and Shaun Ellis rather than taking a failed tear down approach. Who was the “football people” that made all these decisions if it wasn’t Tanny?
    Failing at QB decisions is what undid Tanny but he had an incredible run.
    Compare all that to JD, who failed in every aspect.

I’m so worn out from people (not you) blowing ineffective people like JD and Mangini while shitting on guys who actually gave us exciting football.

#58 BacktoQueens, Dec 25, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2023
    HomeoftheJets and mezzavo like this.
  19. BacktoQueens

Fwiw I do agree with your general point that we need football people to create an identity, rather than hiring GMs and coaches to try to create an identity. We keep trying to create an identity rather than hiring GMs and coaches that fit an existing one. That’s the problem with this org.

Right now we leaning on Rodgers to create that identify while ignoring JDs negligence and watching the future get mortgaged.
    We are about to have a major rinse and repeat after 2024, with no cap room to resign the few draft picks JD got right.

Just gotta give the new GM 5 years before we can accurately assess!

mezzavo likes this.
  20. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Bingo! Of course that’s assuming they’ll WANT to re-sign. If you are Breece Hall or G. Wilson do you even bother? If I were they, I’d want out of this nightmare. Especially after they miss the playoffs in 2024…because it’s what the Jets do. In Hall’s case, talk about royally fucked. He’s at one of the most devalued positions in the league on one of the shittiest offenses in league history.

Geez, is this what we are really talking about? How freakin’ sad is this, we are discussing how bad one GM is over another! Pathetic…