I'm quickly running out of excuses for Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Dec 20, 2023.

1. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

That never crossed my mind. Thanks

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Why?

3. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

The much harder, perhaps impossible, exercise would be for somebody to try to make a case for him keeping his job.

I used to be one of his biggest supporters as well, but I arrived several weeks ago at the point where I can't even begin to defend him anymore.

dmw and KWJetsFan like this.
  4. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

They have a lot of convincing to do. People have turned on saleh, Douglas and Rodgers .

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It just never made sense for Douglas to go on this crusade to turn over the roster and basically admit it’s going to be several more down years and then proceed with using so many picks to trade up to get players like we were a piece or two away.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Desperation is not a plan...

Fix the 0-line and get a solid #2 WR and we'll be ok.

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

... and a new OC.

dmw likes this.
  8. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

That’s pretty much what I mean. But they have to have a solid back up plan at qb. Need to sign a good vet.
    But also have to think of the future … this is a draft where it’s hard not to take a qb imo.

9. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas, on his first day with the Jets, said “This is a game of wills. And we’re going to try to build a team that can impose their will on other teams and to do that you have to be strong up front, not just on the offensive line but the defensive line.” No one put those words in Joe’s mouth. He said them at his opening news conference the day he was hired.

Joe got a six year guaranteed deal with complete control of the Jets operation. He stated that he had a “sense of urgency” to win right away and to build a team that dominates the line of scrimmage.

All that happened on June 7, 2019, which was 4 1⁄2 years ago. This Jets team is the result.

10. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

There's this, there's all gas, no brakes, there's we're not going to be kissing his rings, there's you play to win the game, all I see is a lot of bullshit talk with no result to back it up. For once, I want a strong silent type that doesn't say a word but kicks ass.

#30 The_Darksider, Dec 22, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
    Ralebird and JetsNation06 like this.
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I could go for some kneecap biting.

12. jets_fan

Don't forget about "he's coaching to where football's going". Of course, that wasn't the coach's phrase, but since Gase didn't have a catchphrase or slogan (that I remember, anyway), Christopher Johnson's gem of a statement about Gase's abilities has to sit right up there with all of these other sage words of wisdom that have come from out recent head coaches. :D

mattyd99, Jets81 and The_Darksider like this.
  13. The_Darksider

He was half right. Gase was coaching to where Jets football was going.

stinkyB, BacktoQueens, Borat and 8 others like this.
  14. jets_fan

Very true. :D

Sadly, at least in terms of the offense, we'd be better off with Gase. He could at least script the heck out of that opening drive that often resulted in a TD. If we had just that, we'd still be mathematically alive for the playoffs.

JohnnyJet likes this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Except for the kicks ass part, we had that two coaches ago.

JohnnyJet and The_Darksider like this.
  16. The_Darksider

The kicks ass part is like taking the reservation in Seinfeld if you know the scene I'm talking about.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Half of my confidence in Douglas was lost the day he drafted Zach Wilson. I really did not want Zach BEFORE he was drafted. I lost the rest of my confidence in Douglas when he drafted McDonald at 15. I was like WHAAAAAT? An edge rusher at 15 when that was by far our deepest position?????? The best case for dismissing Douglas is that he has wasted our #1 pick in 2020, 2021, and 2023. How many more chances are they gonna give him to waste our number 1????
    And look at his stupid free agent signings--$24M for career backup Uzomah? $40M for over the hill Tomlinson? $44M for Lazard? $20M for Brown?
    I think Joe Douglas has LESS of an eye for talent than anyone, and he lets agents for the over the hill gang talk him into terrible contracts (for the jets). Why not fire him?????????????????????????.

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Oh, there have been far worse GMs. Tannenbaum, Steinberg, McCagnan, Idzik, My personal worst Rich Kotite, and Terry Bradway, Out of 40 years only 3 GMs had a winning percentage Pitiful.

19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

With his 57-55 record, Tanny may be the only or one of 2 Jets GM’s with a winning record.

The Tanny years were actually the good years if you’re looking at everything post Super Bowl win.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I would think Tanny would be a pretty good VP of Football Ops. I would even nominate Mangini for that role. Those guys knew how to put together a roster and I think over the years, they're probably a lot better now than they were then at their jobs.

JohnnyJet, boozer32 and Jets81 like this.