If you were Rex Ryan who do you do start as QB next game?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jet Rider, Nov 23, 2012.

?

If you were Rex Ryan who do you do start as QB next game?

1. Mark Sanchez

72 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Tim Tebow

55 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. Greg McElroy

98 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Tell me why Brady who was a 6th round draft choice and 4th on the depth chart when he was drafted was 2nd on the depth chart his rookie year before being put on IR?

The Pats didn't know what they had when they drafted him they knew it shortly there after. I don't know if they would have benched Bledsoe but they were clearly grooming Brady to take over after 1 camp in 2000. They obviously didn't know he would be a HOF quality QB but they sure knew he was a starting NFL talent after getting him to camp.

2. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Banned

Nonsense. They brought crappy Damon huard to the team in 2001 to be bledsoes backup. Going into that season Brady was third on the depth chart. Brady outplayed huard in the preseason and was made the backup at that point.

I'm sorry but they weren't looking at their 6th round pick as the near successor to the pro bowl qb they just signed to a huge deal.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So in your world view the backup QB is always being groomed to take over?

Going into 2000 Drew Bledsoe was 28 years old and a 3-time pro bowler who had taken his team to a Super Bowl. Somebody had to hold the clipboard behind that. Brady was the best of the rest.

Then Bledsoe got hurt.

Charlie Weis was in his first season as offensive coordinator and it is certainly possible that the Patriots would have traded Bledsoe at some point to give the job to somebody else and it is certainly possible that Brady would have been the guy.

To make the case that the Patriots were grooming Brady to take over is kind of ridiculous though. 95% of all backup QBs are exactly that. 99.9% of backup QB's taken in the 6th round are exactly that.

4. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I'm not complety sure what you guys are all arguing about. Remembering briefly. I don't remeber pat fans cheering when bledso got hurt. But I remember fans cheering when pennington got hurt. It was disgusting. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but that what I remember.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I wasn't talking about the specific moment he got hit, In was talking about when Brady came into the game they cheered wildly much like our fans when Clemens came in to replace an injured Chad. In both cases the cheers were that the old guys weren't in the game anymore.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Not sure where you came up with this. It's my contention that the Pats drafted Brady because they liked him on their board. When he came into camp he impressed the hell out of them.

Going into 2000 Bledsoe was coming off 2 decidely down years and a 1999 where he arguably sucked.

That's not the case I'm making. The case I'm making is that the Pats drafted a QB with a pro arm who came into camp and impressed the hell out of the staff. The same staff that had witnessed a decline in their QB who while having a big arm was essentially a low IQ NFL QB who had some success when surrounded by great talent.

The Pats with one of the best coaching staffs in the league recognized Brady's high football IQ and where clearly intent on developing him to take over down the line. The injury moved the date up.

Charlie Weiss and BB weren't going to tolerate a dumb IQ turnover machine like Bledsoe for very long.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Wrong. Brady had moved up to 2 on the depth chart the year before. The brought in Hurd to back up Bledsoe while Brady was being developed.

There is a difference between developing a young QB to run your team and being a backup QB. Notice that Hurd the No. 2 QB didn't become the starter when Bledsoe went down.

#127 Biggs, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  8. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Banned

This makes absolutely no sense. So what your saying is that his rookie year they made him the number two qb and were looking at him to groom as the future qb. They than the following year signed Damon huard and moved Brady down to the number 3 qb, make huard the backup just to "develop" Brady. Seriously, do you actually believe this convoluted tripe

Maybe the more realistic option is that they saw him as a 6th round qb, that Bledsoe was the qb of the future after signing a huge deal and they wanted a legitimate backup in huard and thought Brady was nothing more than a number 3

If they pats had the slightest inkling that Brady was the future, they never would of waited til round 6 to nab him

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Pats didn't have a clue until they drafted him with the exception of one person on the staff. The Pats QB coach who pushed them to draft him and got them to keep 4 QB's on the team roster to keep him.

You think Bill Walsh would have waited until round 3 to draft Joe if he knew for sure?

10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Bill, you got right to the heart of it. If I was Ryan, I'd start Sanchez.

If I was me and somehow in charge of running the Jets, I might give McElroy a look, just to let Sanchez know that his last game was unacceptable. The assfumble was the most embarrassing thing I've seen in a long time and was the equivalent of a puppy taking a dump right in the middle of the living room carpet, while you were watching.

A fourth-year quarterback should never panic like that.

11. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

Sanchez Sucks.
    Thread Closed.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Seems like someone in the NY media has gotten on the play McElroy bandwagon:

Pelzman on the Jets beat: Greg McElroy deserves a chance - NorthJersey.com NorthJersey.com

For the first time in months, reporters swarmed to Greg McElroy’s locker Monday. They wanted to find out what the Jets’ third-string quarterback thought about not being active for the loss to New England last week, despite the fact that the man directly above him on the depth chart had two fractured ribs.

Unlike the infamous radio interview in January, in which he said there was a "corrupt mind-set" in the Jets’ locker room (which probably wasn’t far from the truth, anyway), McElroy said all the right things. He indicated he wasn’t offended and was ready to go if needed.

It isn’t surprising that McElroy, a Rhodes scholar candidate while at Alabama, would make the proper decisions in such a potentially sticky situation. And if Mark Sanchez continues to struggle Sunday against Arizona, it’s time for the Jets to take a look at McElroy’s on-field decision-making.

Yes, that would mean McElroy leapfrogging Tim Tebow on the Jets’ depth chart. But considering those aforementioned fractured ribs, it seems unlikely Tebow will be 100 percent for Sunday’s game, even if he again is cleared to play. And that rib injury certainly would cramp his playing style, which is very much dependent upon the 250-pound Tebow’s ability to take and deliver punishment as a runner.

Coach Rex Ryan’s continued mantra that Sanchez isn’t the only reason the Jets are 4-7 is quite true, but he’s a huge part of the problem. No, he isn’t surrounded by a lot of proven talent at the skill positions, but Sanchez has done little to lift the play of those around him, as demonstrated by his 75.6 passer rating, which is 30th in the NFL.

Even worse is his continued penchant for making costly mistakes. Sanchez has committed 15 turnovers, including 10 interceptions, and most of them have had an impact on the scoreboard. Sanchez has had six turnovers at or inside the opponents’ 25-yard-line, negating potential scoring chances. Opponents also have scored 41 points by capitalizing on Sanchez’s miscues, including the embarrassing lost fumble off Brandon Moore’s backside against New England last week.

McElroy’s abilities as an NFL quarterback are unknown. But the second-year pro showed poise during the preseason, even while dealing with some of the same issues as Sanchez, such as shaky protection and a lack of weapons. He did guide the Jets to their only touchdown of the 2012 preseason, albeit against Philadelphia’s reserves.

Arm strength is a question mark for McElroy, but he could be the game manager Ryan has been seeking. Remember, Ryan’s ultimate blueprint for winning is to run the football, play tough defense and not commit turnovers. That would seem to make McElroy, who guided Alabama to the 2009 national championship, a better fit for this offense than the continually mistake-prone Sanchez.

There are other potential benefits to giving McElroy a chance, including the fact that Ryan would be sending a long-overdue message to the rest of the team that playing time ultimately is based on performance. Because Ryan, a players’ coach, never benches anyone, one wonders if complacency has seeped into the Jets’ locker room. Sitting down the starting quarterback would change that.

The Jets also could get an idea of exactly what they have in the 2011 seventh-round pick, and whether McElroy could be a viable option to compete with Sanchez for the starting job next summer.

North Jersey Media Group Inc.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/1...ets_beat__Greg_McElroy_deserves_a_chance.html

13. Big Blocker

Here's the main point from that article that I think those here who don't want to play McElroy and continue to prefer Sanchez are ignoring. It's really one word:

TURNOVERS.

As the article says:

"Arm strength is a question mark for McElroy, but he could be the game manager Ryan has been seeking. Remember, Ryan’s ultimate blueprint for winning is to run the football, play tough defense and not commit turnovers. That would seem to make McElroy, who guided Alabama to the 2009 national championship, a better fit for this offense than the continually mistake-prone Sanchez."

IMo, until shown otherwise, McElroy is potentially going to not turn the ball over as much as Sanchez. That alone will be an improvement.

14. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

15. no psls

no psls Banned

Ryan just announced that Tebow would probably be cleared to play on Sunday and be the backup again . WHAT A BOOB !!! It makes no sense , clearing an injured player . Woody must be behind it . Ryan can't be that STUPID !!!!

16. Big Blocker

For all those so sure McElroy is not heard much of because of the CS "knowing" he sucks, don't forget the Woody factor. Woody loves Tebow, and that may be reason enough why the Jets do not play or even suit McElroy up.

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

"Arm strength is a question mark for McElroy, but he could be the game manager Ryan has been seeking. Remember, Ryan’s ultimate blueprint for winning is to run the football, play tough defense and not commit turnovers. That would seem to make McElroy, who guided Alabama to the 2009 national championship, a better fit for this offense than the continually mistake-prone Sanchez."

But our running game sucks and our line is mediocre at best, with a injured / weak WR core. Sanchez usually plays decently when he has protection and the run game is a factor. There's no reason to assume putting McElroy in gives us a better chance to win, especially when we can still make playoffs at this point. If Sanchez was surrounded by above average talent, the article would have a point, but he isn't, so it's moot.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

We should re-sign Brett Ratliff, maybe Brooks Bollinger too.

19. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Let's be honest, McElroy embarrassed the team with his comments about the locker room. Whether or not he's good enough to start becomes irrelevant.

20. gunner99

gunner99 New Member

start Gmac

wasnt Gmac a 65% passer in college? thats 10-15 more completions over sanchez per game. that could extend some drives and keep us in these games. I am so tired of these turnovers. What was it last year 27 or so?
    season is over. lets see what the "others" can do. That includes RB.