If you were McCagnan and Bowles what would you do?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

Yeah but there are also qbs that light it up in college and wind up absolutely terrible in the NFL. So best thing to do with Hack is hope for the best but expect the worse (pretty much The whole team in general lol)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's a fair statement, although Hasselback, Delhomme, Cassel, Brady, and Favre all played in the modern day NFL.

College success doesn't always equal NFL success was the point I was trying to make. Remember Colt Brennan? He threw 131 touchdowns to 42 interceptions on 70% completion, including a 58/12 season with 5,500+ yards (72.6%) in only 14 games and couldn't sniff the pros.

The other overriding point I've been trying to make is that there is more than one road to being a successful NFL quarterback. It's obviously a lower success rate the later they're drafted, but the tools these guys have cannot be overlooked. Hackenberg has all of them except for spotty accuracy. We'll see if that can be refined or if we toss him on the trash heap.

NCJetsfan and AJW like this.
  3. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

In my best Brooklyn accent-----

What would I do?
    You wanna know what I would do?

I'd stop being a pussy ass quiet dumb bitch ass head coach and I'd fucking fire up my crew, coaches and team to go out and play fast, play smart, and play with heart.

I'd challenge them to be accountable and I'd bench anyone who is late or not playing hard.

At least I'd go out in my own terms like a real man.

End

PS
    Bowles that punk ass fraud puss won't

4. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

If I'm Maccagnan I make solid moves throughout free agency and the draft and make sure the QB situation isn't a complete clusterfuck...or atleast has some kind of clarity

If I'm Bowles I start coaching to win and stop coaching like a scared bitch

Pretty simple

HomeoftheJets and westiedog1 like this.
  5. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

If I'm Maccagnan I do the best to save my ass, but I don't think it will matter. We will have a better understanding of the extent of the rebuild by the end of next year and both he and Bowles will be gone. My guess is Bowles soon......

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

What would I do if I am Macc [or Bowles for that matter]? Quit?

Jets69 likes this.
  7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I agree. I happen to feel that the 2016 season was horrible because it was not until the end where fans got to see young drafted players play well, and contribute to the team. Bowles was forced to play these players late out of necessity because his golden veteran players who underachieved mightily, were injured. It is this unwilligness to adjust, to be more of a leader, to recognize the need for change that has made fans, like myself, feel down about the prospect of Bowles becoming a great head coach.

IMO there are quite a few obvious cuts that Macc needs to make. Aside from the cuts, Macc needs to do very well in the draft. Also, in the 2nd round can we actually draft someone who is going to start or at least put in meaningful snaps? Devin Smith looks like trash so far (and that pains me to say because I was pulling for him). Hack is a QB, and given his collegiate experience, I am less keen on labeling him as a bust right now. But can we draft someone in the second round that will contribute now rather than a year, 2 years, 3 years from the day they're drafted? With the 6th pick in the draft, we should be able to land premium talent in both rounds 1 &2. This years draft has about 50 star players, have to grab at least 2.

SonofDinger and MoWilkBeast like this.
  8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

This is great from a fan's perspective, but unfortunately, Woody's expectations may be totally different and the one that counts if you're Mac and Bowles. If his expectation is a winning season in 2017, then the QB situation has to be fixed ASAP. That doesn't bode well for Petty or Hackenberg. That means trying to bring a FA QB here and why I don't think Romo is beyond the realm of possibilities if your job depends on winning. On the other hand, I can't see Woody okaying a rebuild season to develop Petty or Hackenberg......a first round pick, yes, but not these two.

9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

If I was TB I would resign and if I was Mike Mac I would fire TB if he did not resign,,,,,If I was Mike Mac I would also put myself on notice that I have 1 more year to make this thing look better than it is and make some serious progress

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We can only hope.

Assuming a QB is available. If it's a LT instead then we have to do the whole thing over again in 2018 for the QB.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This would be Jets101 at this point followed by 4-12 and the 6 pick in the 2019 draft which is just far enough down the line that we can't even trade up for the franchise QB that year.

12. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

What I hope they do

QB Tyrod Taylor
    RBs. Same with addition of fullback to make holes for both
    Receivers Marshall gone Keep Decker Ununwa get Cole Beasley type for bailout over middle
    Tight End. Get best available Free agent Keep one we already have backup
    Offensive line. Non Stop Draft Picks all for line
    Bench backups who can play special teams

Defense line. Richardson gone keep everybody else pray MO's problem was getting over injury
    Linebackers Harris only plays first down maybe senond less than four he can't cover anybody
    Lee needs work, get him outside rushing help keep him away from offensive lineman can't handle them
    Safety's Prior in box to tackle on runs otherwise bench get another one for coverage
    Free Safety Get anything, anything has to be better
    Corners. Revis has to go Skrine stays Burris has possibilities McDougale give him a shot
    Maybe give Milner another shot IF healthy

Coaches- Bowels. Get Interested during game if not possible to show emotion get pissed off at players screwing up shitcan him
    Offense If you go 3 and out stop being happy you didn't have a mistake turnover start trying for the first time in 10+ years to figure out why you went 3 and out and intend to at least try to put up 40 Pts.
    Defense+ How about coaching and getting the draft pick positions worth and the money being paid to them worth

Folk keep
    Lechler gone

13. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

My only issue is i am not sold on Tyrod. My dad's a Bills fan so over a season i see quite a bit of them andhis highs and lows were all over the place. If we can get him relatively cheap then go for it and keep looking for a future qb and if he pans out stop the search. I would be nervous to pay him anything significant.

14. jsyankees12

jsyankees12 Member

What should Macc and Bowles do? I guess Bowles should make sure he hires the best coaches possible and hopefully he fixes some of his in-game blunders. Macc should get rid of every veteran with a bloated contract and everyone who contributed to the toxic locker room this season. He also needs to have a solid draft...Woody/Macc made it clear today that that was going to be their main focus. I don't think his draft last year was terrible...the Hack pick is ultimately going to define him so we'll see how it turns out. Lee, Burris, Shell, and Jenkins all showed some promise this year and Peake was a steal for a 7th rounder.

I don't think this duo is in as big of a lame duck situation as people think. It's clear that we gotta get young and rebuild and Woody can be erratic so things may change, but it sounds like he's prepared to weather the early storm. However if next year looks like this year with no-shows in many games and locker room fighting, these two are gone.

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Like the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz I would start to do some thinking and then stop and think some more...Bowles should watch that movie and hope he gets a Brain too

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It is a huge offseason for Hackenberg. If they bring in a veteran of some kind and he's far behind both the vet and Petty then it might be the death sentence.

I don't think he has to become a good player lighting it up on the field next year but if he spends yet another year as the number 3, getting no reps and all inactives then I think he probably has no future in this league. He's gotta push for the primary backup role and be on par or even exceed Petty.

That's what Romo did. year 1 was a complete redshirt for him not unlike Hack's rookie year. But in his second year Romo faced stiff camp competition and EARNED the number 2 spot. He stood out in preseason and looked like he could become something someday. That's where Hack needs to be by late August. That's even asking too much. just look like you belong in the league.

17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Bingo, this is where I am at and based on Woody's presser it sounds like he is in sunc with you and I. In other words, they don't necessarily have to make the playoffs next year but the team better improve esp. the ypunger players or TB is gone. I am not sure he would let Mac go and I think he shouldn't because I believe he has done and admirable job with the shit roster he inherited.