If we do pick a QB at 6, who do you go with?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Poeman, Jan 23, 2017.

?

Forcing the QB issue at #6, who do you select if all available?

1. Trubinsky

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Kizer

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Watson

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
  4. Mahomes

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

That's why I'm opposed to the stop gap QB, at some point they have to play Petty or Hack for a season and just endure the growing pains that come with developing a QB.

They did it with Sanchez, the problem with that situation was they forgot to strengthen the team around him.

It's weird how they have not been able to put the whole thing together as an organization, play the young QB, strengthen the team around him and move on from older players as the young players behind them are ready to play.

PulseJet likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

its just a matter of drafting well and the drafts after sanchez,even the sanchez draft with 3 picks, have beared no fruit. there was nothing to build the team with.
    i don't want a "stop gap" qb either. not sure what gap he is supposed to be stopping. we need to be searching for the franchise. you can't find him if your wasting snaps on stop gaps

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't think it's weird, I think it's Woody trying to cut corners and keep his bottom line fat. He decides to spend big in one area, then cuts other areas short...Hess did the same thing. AN organization has to be "all in" on winning, trusting that if they win, they'll make money. Woody apprently doesn't believe that, and tries to save money in the wrong places. "Penny wise; pound foolish".

boozer32 likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

Like they say: "Go big, or go home". The Jets need to keep trying QBs until they find their FQB. And by that I don't mean FAs and other teams' cast offs.

I really like Watson's and Mahomes' intangibles and think they're worth a try at #6. You don't hit home runs just playing it safe.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. FJF

meh, woody is a lot of things but not cheap. we are constantly up against the cap. this thing went off the rails when they stopped hitting on draft picks after the 2007 draft and the post prime players tanny added couldn't contribute enough. it wasn't from cutting corners fiscally it was from lack of player development

#125 FJF, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  6. ColoradoContrails

There's other things you spend money on besides players, like GMs, coaches, scouting, etc. But where was he and his checkbook when Sanchez saw all his supporting cast disappear?

7. ColoradoContrails

8. FJF

woody retired and they mistakenly thought wfh could man rt, moore was nearing the end, faneca was done and a cap casualty, couldn't keep both holmes and edwards, tanny chose wrong. tomlinson was done. tannys cap magic was coming due and mark wasn't what tanny thought he was by year 3. none of that was woody being cheap. the biggest knock on woody was letting terry bradway hang around the scouting dept for so many years after being relieved of his gm duties. whether that was a money issue or a loyalty issue or bradway had some voodoo over him i don't know. but i do believe woodys heart and wallet are in the right place, his brain however.............

Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Why didn't Woody replace Tannenbaum? IMO it was a financial issue, but I don't know that for a fact. But there's also the issue of sharing a stadium instead of having their own. Sure, it might make sense financially in the short term, but I believe their not having their own stadium has hurt them, and kept them from winning.

Like I said, he's spent the money at times, but in the wrong places, and he's tried to save money, also in the wrong places. He needs to spend some more right now and hire a top notch President of Football Operations to run the franchise. That would money well spent, but I doubt he'll spend it.

10. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Tossing a QB into the fire was a Rex Ryan approach, and we saw the results of that. It's obvious from the last 2 seasons that Mac & Bowles will not make that gamble. I'm not in the school of thinking that you draft a QB at #6 and wait 4 years for results. Wilson and Prescott are the anti-thesis of that concept.

It's ok to think what the Jets SHOULD do, take a risk and draft a QB the first day... but I'm into more of what they MAY do - find something in the later rounds. Looking at what is available in this draft, the scouting reports don't provide many positives.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Taking Sanchez was a mistake (much less trading up to take him), and starting him immediately was a bigger mistake. At that point in time, underclassmen QBs had an awful track record of failure in the NFL. I don't think a single one had ever developed into a quality starting QB. If so, there was only 1 or 2. I remember reading an article about it at the time. Sanchez had one year of starting experience and was not ready to play. The Jets further compounded the issue by not surrounding him with weapons and then going all in his rookie season, and Rex making the stupid SB prediction.

12. ColoradoContrails

Actually, he was surrounded by talent his first two years and they nearly got to the SB. That said, it was still a dumb move, but dumber still to let all that talent disappear. If they had kept the level of talent around him up, they could've kept winning, and maybe even gotten to the SB with him, but then he got shellshocked, and injured, and that was all she wrote.

PulseJet likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

That's why the SHOULD take Watson or Mahomes with the 1st pick, after that, there really isn't anyone worth taking as a QB.

14. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Neither of those 2 QB's are worth taking with the #6 - especially Watson - I'm willing to bet he isn't the 1st QB taken either based on very recent scouting reports - his stock is dropping; with 30 INT's the past two years, do the Jets need another project like Geno Smith? Mac would be out of his mind to take that chance - and being that they had a rough 2016, cannot afford to take that big a risk.

Freddy Mondo and Red Menace like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

Watson is waaaaay ahead of Geno! And I'm pretty sure he won't be the 1st QB taken - or at least I hope so, because the Bears and Niners will probably take QBs and I hope they pass on Watson.

I agree that Macc probably won't risk picking him even if he's there. For one thing, he doesn't play "D" :rolleyes: But really he can't afford NOT to take the risk, unless he's sure he has the QB riddle solved (which I doubt). There no "sure things" at QB ever. And despite your fear of his pick ratio, "somehow" he figured out how to win a N.C. and get within a couple of points of winning two. I'm sure he's going to be a FQB, but I'm pretty sure it won't be with the Jets.:(

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I recall at the beginning of last year Dak Prescott was rated as a sure first round pick. I'm not sure what about him caused him to fall to the fourth round. No matter how good you are, there will always be detractors. One thing is for sure, he is having the last laugh.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, you're right, my bad. He did have some good talent around him early on. It was later that it went to crap. I don't think he would have ever developed, but whatever chances he had were ruined by Rex and how they handled Sanchez.

westiedog1 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. FJF

didn't dak get a dui during the run up to the draft?

19. westiedog1

Wasn't aware of it, but you may be right.

20. westiedog1

There are QB's in this league that have succeeded when they have good teams around them and were less than stellar when the talent wasn't there. I'm thinking of Alex Smith, Philip Rivers even Eli Manning. I think we can all agree that Sanchez wasn't going to be elite, but I think he could have been on the level of the aforementioned if given the opportunity and supporting cast.

ColoradoContrails likes this.