If we do pick a QB at 6, who do you go with?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Poeman, Jan 23, 2017.

?

Forcing the QB issue at #6, who do you select if all available?

1. Trubinsky

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Kizer

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Watson

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
  4. Mahomes

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

the only thing that makes me hesitate with watson is how much talent he had around him. he is a leader,winner and athletically gifted, good attitude and coach able but if you look at the qbs in the league today, the better ones weren't the ones from stacked teams of nfl talent waiting to be drafted. that said i would take him

boozer32 likes this.
  2. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

To pick a QB at 6 is very risky if the consensus is they are almost all not worthy of it. No one really wants to but a QB should not be picked and the Jets should trade down to accumulate an extra second or third to take an extra DB or OL. Play Hack or Petty.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Sorry, but the Jets need to keep drafting QBs until they find a FQB, and Watson is a good bet to be that guy. If the Jets pass, and he leads some other team to the SB, the fans may actually hook Woody to the back of a plane and fly him over the Meadowlands.

boozer32 likes this.
  4. nicg4360

If that's the case the 6th pick would have to be QB then as after the first 3-4 qbs there is a quite a big drop off. Nothing close to a franchise QB would be at our 2nd pick. If mac has your train of thought (not saying it's the wrong one) it will be a QB at 6.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

I agree...it's either Watson at #6 - and I actually think he'll be gone by then - or nobody. If Macc does take a QB later, then I think he'll eventually drop Hack or Petty, probably Hack, because I can't see him bringing Petty, a project (Hack, and another project (Whoever he picks this year) into camp. Although, I wouldn't have predicted him drafting Hack in the 2nd round either, so I can't claim to be on his wavelength.

6. nicg4360

As to Watsons availability at 6 it depends on FA and possible trades. Does Cleveland trade for Garappolo. Does one of the QB needy teams ahead of us grab Glennon or go with Cutler maybe Romo.

7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure with Bowles at the helm we are headed for a top 5 pick next year. They could have the greatest draft in NFL history but Bowles is still clueless and no amount of drafting will fix that. I'm good with Watson or Williams at #6. Fix whatever holes you have on defense in free agency and get some talent on offense.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. boozer32

I think Mahomes would be a solid choice if the Jets trade down a few spots. He could a bigger version of Russell Wilson. Kinda like that gunslinger mentality. The guy can throw the ball from any angle.

9. boozer32

That's what we need a thumper in the secondary. Screw that Hooker. Get it? Plus LSU has a reputation in pro safeties. The Landry brothers, Honey Badger, Eric Reid.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

Unless Macc takes Watson, I don't see him taking a QB at all - he already has his "project" with Hack, and Mahomes would be another project.

boozer32 and FJF like this.
  11. boozer32

I wouldn't even classify Hack as a prospect. The guy is a bust and the GM should always be looking for franchise QB. Hack will never be that guy so you look for one every year until you find one. If he looks like a turd in training camp and preseason its too late to make that call. Draft another QB this year and sign a vet. Let the 3 little guys compete worst one get cut. No more of this carrying 4 QB again.

nicg4360 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

I agree with you, but I don't think Macc will do that. But what you're suggesting is also what I've said. I mean if the Pats found Brady in the 6th round, anything is possible. But given that Macc picked Hack in the 2nd round - ahead of Prescott and a number of better prospects - I think he's got too much invested in him to bail on him. His decision to do this really makes me wonder about his ability as a GM. A QB taken in the 2nd round should show SOME ability and progress, right? But so far he's shown nothing that an undrafted FA could've shown. Hackenberg is a luxury this team can't afford, and should be cut to make room for someone who actually might contribute some day.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If u held a gun to my head and I had to take a QB at #6.. it's gotta be Trubisky and tbh it's not even close. This kid reminds a lot of Steve Young/Marcus Mariota. Very strong arm, accurate deep ball and is an excellent athlete. I think he's going to be a good one.

Kizer has some nice qualities and in a system that is run the ball first he could thrive.

Watson is a wild card because his ceiling is high but his floor is low. He could be Russ Wilson but can also be a Blain Gabbert. Time will tell there.

14. ColoradoContrails

While all draft picks - especially skill positions - are risky, I think Watson is much less of a risk than either Trubisky or Kizer. Trubisky has only played one year, and it's not like he was the Second Coming. He does have the requisite size and physical tools, but what about the intangibles? And Kizer is hyped almost completely because of his physical tools, but his performances have been less than overwhelming. I think Watson is the only true Top 10 pick at QB, but I bet Trubisky and Kizer get picked in that group too, and I hope they get picked before the Jets are on the clock because that will likely mean Watson is there for them. That said, in my heart, I don't think Macc will take Watson, or any QB at #6.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, Hack should not be cut. That's just silly imo. It's way too early to give up on any player taken in last year's draft and label him a bust, and to give up on any QB, but especially a QB with the tools and intangibles he has, and who was a 2nd round pick.

He's not a luxury either. He would only be a luxury if the team was considered to be a contender for the SB. Since they only thing they will be a contender for in 2017 is the #1 pick, he is just fine. The Jets have time to try to develop him. He's still only 21. If he develops, it will wind up being a great pick. Even if he doesn't, it was worth rolling the dice on.

#75 NCJetsfan, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    JetDan likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

Well if you believe that the Jets will carry 4 QBs again this year, then I guess they can afford to carry him. But if they're only going to carry 3, then what you're saying is, "Carry Petty, Hack, and some Hold-The-Fort QB, and not draft any QBs and try to upgrade the position this year", right? If that's what you're saying, I disagree with that approach. If they only carry 3, then they need to decide if Hack is better than anyone they could draft, including Watson. I don't think he is, because if he were we would've seen him activated long before the last meaningless game, or at least would've been hearing about the positive things he's shown in practice. But we've heard/seen nothing to tell us that he was worth ANY pick, let alone the 2nd pick. Obviously Macc and Bowles and the rest have seen him up close and know what he can do, and I don't, but if there is a chance to upgrade the position in this draft, and they pass on it because of Hack, I'll really question their competence.

17. NCJetsfan

You've said it yourself in several posts and threads...Mac is not gonna give up on Hack this soon, and taking Watson in the first would be giving up on Hack. He'd be laughed out of the league if he did. It took conviction and guts to take Hack where he did last year in the draft. He can't second-guess himself now. He has to give Hack at least another year. They still have no real idea just how good he can be, and won't until he fixes his fundamentals. I didn't agree with the decision to wait until the season was over to begin working on his fundamentals, but can understand why they did. As things turned out, they needed him to function as the scout team QB, which would have been very hard to do if he was in the midst of totally changing his mechanics/fundamentals.

With his fundamentals screwed up, there's no way he was going to be activated and play. Mac said from the beginning that Hack would never play this year. It would have been counterproductive and would have served no useful purpose. The Jets aren't going to carry 4 QBs again. I definitely believe that they're going to sign a younger vet like Glennon, who has some starting experience, can push Hack and Petty, but won't be guaranteed the starting job.

If you disagree with that approach, fine, but you yourself have said it would be dumb to go into the season with 3 project QBs, and Watson would be a project even if he won the starting job. They have to bring in an experienced QB, especially since they're gonna have a rookie OC and signal caller. So, order to have an experienced QB and not have 4 QBs on the roster again, Mac would have to give up on either Hack or Petty, and it's too early to give up on either. Idzik puts us in this position by not taking Carr or Bridgewater. Mac had little choice but to take "project" QBs since there were no great QB prospects sitting there in the draft for him to take. No one foresaw how Prescott would play, and if he had come to the Jets, he wouldn't have played like he did.

Already claiming that Hack is a bust is just being ridiculous and acting like other, impatient, knucklehead Jets fans who don't understand anything about how long it can take players to develop. You're smarter and better than that.

Step back for a minute. You said yourself you haven't seen Hack up close and they have, so how much sense does it make for you to question their competence when you have little or no facts, and they have a lot? Still, question their competence all you want, but you'd better be prepared to take criticism from other posters for doing it. Even the "experts" don't fully know if he will develop, and if so, just how good he can be, but they know a lot more than we do, and have a better idea if he may develop. The only sensible thing to do is be patient and wait. If he doesn't develop, we'll have plenty of time for criticizing Mac and the scouting dept. later when they're fired.

Jersey Joe 67 likes this.
  18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm on board with your way of thinking but my only disagreement being that if Mac thinks Watson or any other QB is a franchise QB then he MUST get him if he falls into our laps.
    That being said I'd sign on for adding Glennon or McCarron but i'd prefer Tyrod Taylor.
    Add Taylor and one of the top WR to the O, dump Marshall and we have a combo of QB & WR that can grow together.

Just my 2cents.

19. NCJetsfan

I agree that if Mac thinks Watson or one of the other QBs are a FQB, then he should take him, but will he? Will Mac's ego/pride allow him to take Watson (or another QB)? Because if he does, he's going to have to have thick skin, because he will take a ton of heat from Jets fans, the media, and probably league circles both for taking Hack in the first place, and for giving up on him so quickly. It will make taking Hack pretty much a definite mistake, whereas if he doesn't take a QB, Hack could still work out and Mac's decision to take him could be vindicated. Of course, Mac had no way of knowing last year that Watson (or another QB) would fall into his lap this year (if indeed he does), but perception can be everything.

If Mac were to take a QB in the 1st round, everyone will see it as giving up on Hack. To a large extent, that would be true, as developing a QB takes a lot of time, focus, and commitment to building the team around that player's skills and talents. The Jets could still try to save some face by developing Hack and then trade him in a season or two to another team, but I think the chances of Hack ever developing would be lessened considerably, and he may even prove to be a distraction. With Bowles and his CS likely gone after the 2017 season, the new HC might not want Hack at all, so that would complicate matters if Mac is still here, and if he drafts a QB in this draft and that QB winds up starting and does well, Mac certainly will still be here.

I think Mac would take another QB if he was a slam dunk, certain FQB like Luck, but neither Watson, nor any of the other of the QBs in this draft are. I don't think Mac would take another "project" QB, unless he felt that QB was head and shoulders better than Hack and a lot closer to being ready to start. If he did that, I think that Petty would probably be a goner (since he was a 4th round pick, is already 25, and is coming off a major injury), and Mac would still look to bring in a young vet to push and challenge that QB and Hack. I can't see him going into the season with Petty, Hack and a rookie at QB, especially with a novice OC. The other scenario would be that Mac would just give up on Hack, admit he was a mistake, and go with the rookie QB, Petty, and a young FA QB. I'd be shocked if that happened, however.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Jersey Joe 67 likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

Yes, I said so myself that Macc won't carry 4 QBs. and so he will not go into the season with Petty, Hack, and an untested rookie, no matter who he is. Therefore, if he did draft Watson, he would have to cut the lesser of the other two, and right now that seems to be Hackenberg, meanwhile signing an "insurance" QB.

And I also said that because of his decision to draft Hackenberg with his 2nd pick, he likely wouldn't do anything that would cause him to pull the plug on him.

My post was really more about that I disagree with his approach. I think he made a terrible mistake with drafting Hack, and my hope is that he now realizes that and will have the guts to remedy it by cutting him. Is that what's going to happen? Not very likely, but still, as a fan, I can hope, because especially as a Jets fan, that's about all we have, ever, is hope. Hope that gets squashed time and time again. Really not much different than you, NC, in your hopes that they draft this player or that, or hire/fire this coach or that. And how much do YOU really know about the facts on the ground in Jet Land? Not really any more than I do. So please restrain yourself from lecturing me about that things I say about what I would like to see happen. It's my OPINION, no less, or more, expert than yours.

Based on what I've witnessed over the years, and these past couple of years in particular, the odds are that even is Watson is there at #6, Macc won't take him, and will likely take a defensive player, Hooker or Adams, because they're "safer" picks, and he can't afford any more guesses gone wrong. Or, he'll go with the BPA who might be a position we already have settled, but he knows the "smart" people always draft BPA no matter what. The best I can probably hope for is that he grabs Howard at TE and at least tries to improve the dismal offense. But frankly, I'm as pessimistic about this team as I've ever been.

So, go ahead and criticize me. If I was worried about that, I'd never post on forums like this. But I might suggest you "take a step back" and realize why we're all here engaging in debate: for most if us it's to enjoy hearing other POVs besides our own, and along the way, we sometimes even learn something if we're open minded enough.