If we do pick a QB at 6, who do you go with?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Poeman, Jan 23, 2017.

?

Forcing the QB issue at #6, who do you select if all available?

1. Trubinsky

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Kizer

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Watson

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
  4. Mahomes

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I guess that depends on how you define "elite". In my book, an elite QB is one who may not hit their peak right out of the box, but does show all the ingredients/intangibles are there, and Big Ben and Eli both did that, as did John Elway, and many others.

No, the quest certainly doesn't live or die with this draft, but it should be exercised every draft until we hit. I think Watson gives us a pretty good chance at finding that FQB this year, however I don't think he'll be there at #6. At that point, I say draft Fournette to help ease the load on whoever the QB is because he'll be gone after #6 and before they pick again. I like your idea of using Sheldon to try and get another high (late 1st; early 2nd round) pick, but I don't think anyone will bite. After Fournette, I would then be looking for either an elite pass rusher or OL, whichever was the BPA and who I could get. Then with the 3rd pick I would take whoever I didn't take with the 2nd pick.

If they don't get an elite QB in the draft, I say they should go with Petty/Hack and a cheap vet who won't block their progress, but could be insurance. And no, that would NOT be Johnny Goofball!

nicg4360 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

So it doesn't bother you that several NFL teams see Watson as a 3rd round pick?

Also, you don't think Adams could help the team about as much as Hooker?

3. NCJetsfan

How/why on earth do you like Kizer. It takes a lot more than just good size and mobility to play QB. He doesn't seem to have any other attribute you want your QB to have. I think he's awful, and wouldn't waste a roster spot on him even as a UDFA.

boozer32 likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't know all too much about Adams, as I've seen a lot more OSU games than LSU games. I know that Hooker is all over the field and incredibly instinctual.

Adams is too supposedly, but guys who are pegged as in the box safeties are not worth the #6 overall pick. They're a lot easier to find than the rover free safety that makes plays. It's a lot easy to mask the deficiencies of a crappy strong safety. It's a lot harder to hide your crappy free safeties play because they're the last line of defense. If he can make plays on top of it then he's well worth the top selection.

It's tough for a free safety to play centerfield and ensure that he's not giving up plays while still having the ability to jump routes and make plays. Often times that leads to giving up big plays, but not with Hooker. He keeps everything in front of him and reads quarterbacks eyes very well. It's unteachable and unmeasurable. Ed Reed was invaluable to the Ravens defense and I see a lot of that in Hooker (minus Reed's uncanny ability to turn a pick into basically a free running punt return).

Hooker's the only defensive back I'm using a top ten selection on, but that also comes with the fact that my personal philosophy is to not use that high of a pick on corners due to the low impact that have early on in their careers.

That's why I wanted Devin McCourty so badly over Revis a couple of years ago in free agency even though he wasn't going to leave. There's a reason Belichick gave him all that money.

As far as Watson is concerned... No, it doesn't bother me at all especially because that's all hearsay anyways. I don't trust reports like that really especially because their anonymous reports. I remember barely knowing anything about Calvin Pryor until we drafted him and finding out that a bunch of teams had him as a first round grade.

This draft seems all over the place in terms of where players are being rated, and a lot moreso than I can ever really remember. I've seen the corner Quincy Wilson be rated as a top 10 pick and also a third round selection. Same thing with Solomon Thomas the edge rusher out of Stanford and Pat Mahomes.

In an ideal world we get Hooker in the first and Watson in the second. We'all see how pro days and all that stuff goes down though.

5. NCJetsfan

Thanks for your response. I agree with your general comments about the FS position vs the SS position, and that Hooker is the better prospect. Still, I suggest you look at video of Adams. I've seen him play several times and he's a dynamic player and worthy of his high ranking. He may be listed as a SS, but I've seen some suggest that he could easily play FS. He has very good speed, is a fiery leader that supposedly makes the players around him better, and is very good in coverage. I think he's worthy of the conversation at #6 if Hooker, Barnett, Garrett are all gone.

Following are links to a couple of highlight videos to give you some idea of what his play is like.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Ratings are just that ... Ratings. No one had Prescott rated higher than a 3-4 round pick. It all depends on intangibles and on field performance and of course the odd DUI.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

In terms of your bold, I said that so you are agreeing with me. Big Ben was not elite at that time, he was a good QB that managed the game and didn't turn the ball over.

This season, I want to see Hack and Petty continue to develop and see a vet come in to hold the clipboard. I am sick of having 4 QBs on the roster. If Hack doesn't develop this season, it will be time to move on. 2018 is when the Jets could go for a QB. Fournette is not the best player available at 6 and it doesn't really fill a need. I think the Jets could find a gem in the later rounds that can work with Powell. I'll take one of the safeties, or best edge rusher. Heck, I would easily take Reuben Foster over Fournette. I use the BPA + a percentage of need.

If Watson falls to the Jets at 6, you have to consider it absolutely. This draft has some very talented players.

MoWilkBeast and nicg4360 like this.
  8. nicg4360

As much as we saw petty and him struggling he played behind a patchwork line with limited time with starters. I would love to grab Watson but with that said would he be able to play in his first year? I think ny would not be able to wait for that pick to sit on the bench like their last 2 QB picks. If he could hell why not.

9. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Stop trying to over analyze everything

Watson is a great player and great prospect...just watch the games

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

We must be friends.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

We are not taking a QB at 6 this year. Having the 2 QB picks already on the roster AND looking ahead to next years class leads me to believe the jets will ignore the position in the early rounds. Who knows about the middle rounds?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. nicg4360

Jets need impact players early...No chance we use the 6 on a pick that may not see the field next year. Earliest a QB gets picked would be at 2 IF a QB slides like Watson. If the top 3-4 qbs are gone by then no QB will be looked at until the 4th or after

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I agree. They've spoken with Davis Webb, formerly of Texas Tech and now at Cal, and appear to have some interest in him. According to CBS Draft Scout, he's the 7th ranked QB and slated to be drafted in rounds 4-5.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Perfect! Just what we need...another PROJECT!:mad:

15. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I would say that between Miles and Pryor we are decent at that in the box safety vs an Ed Reed ball hawk to play Centerfield

16. NCJetsfan

I wasn't saying that we needed a SS more than a FS or that I thought Adams was better than Hooker, but instead was saying that if Hooker was already gone, then I think Adams could help the Jets D about as much as Hooker. Pryor and Miles can't carry Adams jock. Adams could even conceivably play FS. He has the speed and coverage ability. In addition, Adams is said to be a fiery leader who makes those around him better. Neither Pryor nor Miles have ever had that said about them, nor will they ever have it said about them. If the rumors are true that the Jets may be shopping Pryor, then he may not even be with the team next season.

17. nicg4360

It all seems very unlikely that Watson would not be the pick if there but ya gotta wonder especially with the CB class being so strong in the 2nd round. I think woody would very much be in macs ear to take him if he is there. May not be the right pick but woody gets what he wants well being the owner and all.

18. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Watson is the only QB I'd touch with the 6th pick. Still i'm not quite sold on him but he's the only QB in this draft that has proven to show up in big games (national championships).

nicg4360 likes this.
  19. nicg4360

Thats his biggest selling point....He was clutch when need be and does what it takes to win having only lost 2 games in his career. Can only imagine he could help pull this team together.

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

My two cents:

Well Ive preached repeatedly to draft a QB each year till someone can be your Franchise QB

This Year?? Pass...(excuse the pun)....maybe grab a Webb or Mahones in some way later round

lotsa fools gold out there ,,,cannot believe how the vast majority here have bought the hype on Watson (burp...sorry just regurgitated a Taj Boyd)

I say wait for Darnold from USC to declare ..hes the Brick Oven Bread Boy who is prototype and the real deal (no Taco man Sancho either)

At #6?.....Be smart get the OL in place or trade down

But for God loving sake don't take a defensive player AGAIN......

blackssmagic likes this.