If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

If it's just sometimes, you are guilty of being underwhelming to even you. I spend my days overwhelming perfect strangers just for practice

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Glad you liked most of my post. Half the players you mentioned good FA pickups by our Gm. Mangold and Wilkerson drafted. The ratio of poor drafts to good ones is what I am talking about especially in light of what Idzik did last year. You are right Mac hasn't drafted a player yet. I am just getting nervous.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO accuracy is THE most important stat for a college QB. If he can't hit wide open receivers in college with consistency, how in the heck is he going to suddenly be able to do that in the NFL? I don't want a college QB who has never hit well above the 60% mark. Accuracy & football IQ are the two most important attributes for me, closely followed by arm strength.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Agreed.

5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

And that goes even for guys throwing screens. Everyone in college football throws screens and that ups their comp %--all of them. But Carr was regularly and easily hitting guys 15-18 yards downfield and that's why you saw the 68% and 69% completion rates his last 2 years.

I have not yet seen Cook do that.

_

6. 74

74 Well-Known Member

That sounds illegal

7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Marcus necessarily wants to play for us. I saw him on Gruden's camp talking about how he loved the small community of Oregon, how he hates the spotlight and in multiple interviews he's said that he'd rather never have to talk to the media. Plus, we're as far as can be from Hawaii and his family. He's obviously a humble kid and he would never pull an Eli and refuse to play, but I think this would be a hard transition for him. I have a feeling he'd much rather go to Tennessee or especially San Diego.

I hope Mac grilled him about it to find out whether or not he'd be overwhelmed by the situation.

8. JStokes

Maybe. Maybe not. It's all a smokescreen. Assuming he doesn't want to be in NY because he's from Hawaii or played in Oregon is silly.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/je...riota-says-hed-love-to-play-for-new-york-jets

Mariota says he'd 'love' to play for the Jets

Marcus Mariota was in New Jersey on Friday night. No, he wasn't house-hunting. He flew to Atlantic City, where he attended the Maxwell Football Club awards banquet and told reporters he wouldn't mind calling New Jersey his home.

"I'd love to play for the Jets," the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback said. "Meeting with the offense coordinator and quarterbacks coach was awesome. It was an opportunity for me to introduce myself and it seems like a great organization."

Mariota was referring to Chan Gailey and Kevin Patullo, respectively, both of whom attended his pro day Thursday in Eugene, Oregon. In fact, Patullo spent several minutes with Mariota before the workout, chatting on the field. General manager Mike Maccagnan also was there to watch what was generally described as an uneven workout.

No matter. He's still expected to be a high pick in next month's draft, most likely anywhere from second to fifth. The Jets own the sixth pick.

Don't read too much into Mariota saying he'd "love" to play for the Jets. For all draft prospects, it's a fill-in-the-blank answer. Sure, I'd love to play for (insert team name).

Mariota, who picked up the Maxwell Award as college player of the year, also has been linked to the Philadelphia Eagles. Chip Kelly, who coached Mariota at Oregon, tried to douse the speculation a few days ago by claiming he won't mortgage his future by trading up from No. 20 to pick Mariota.

His former player isn't totally buying that.

"I wouldn't doubt it," Mariota said, "but Coach Kelly and the Eagles are going to do what's best for that team, and we'll see what happens."

Mariota is scheduled to meet Monday with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who own the first pick. They're thought to be leaning toward Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston, the other Heisman-winning quarterback in the draft.

_

9. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

It would be news if he said he DIDN'T want to play for a Jets. Saying that you wouldn't want to play for a team is like committing draft-suicide. This is why prospects decline to answer if they want to specifically go to a certain team. If you specifically ask them about a team, they will say they would "love" to go there. Of course you would. You just want to get drafted to the earliest team possible because you get a higher paycheck.

So Mariota saying he would "love" to go to a team that has showed interest in him means nothing to me. I don't blame him either, whether he actually wants to come here or not.

10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I agree that accuracy is an essential attribute in college but football IQ and toughness are more essential IMO.

Football IQ and toughness you can't teach. If you look at a few Pros in college like Aaron Rodgers and Phillip Rivers specificly they weren't unbelievable accurate passers until they got to the NFL and Norv Turner transformed Rivers and Green Bay CS completely transformed Rodgers throwing motion to improve accuracy.

11. JStokes

I was just suggesting an unknowing fan suggesting he doesn't want to play for the Jets is unfounded.

He may.

He may not.

No one knows.

_

12. Big Cat

I'm just extrapolating from all the times I've heard him say how he hates the spotlight, not sure he'd dig Broadway. You're right though, the only people who really know are him and his family.

Not like he'd ever admit it. He could have a 15 year career here and we'd never find out if he doesn't like New York.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Cook can hit wide open receivers in college, in fact - he has excellent ball placement skills. Watch any of his tape on draftbreakdown and it's evident. There are inconsistencies in his accuracy, but that will be improved when he works on his footwork. This 60% completion rate is just a cop-out ,that has been used time and time again - watch the tape and look at Cook's tendencies - throwing the football away, takes more deep shots down the field.

Russell Wilson didn't complete 60% until his SR yr - in which we have yet to see from Cook.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...igan-state-championship-rose-bowl-spring-game

Kids gonna be good - he made that awful throw in the bowl game against Baylor, but he was able to face adversity and win by going down the field the next drive and winning it.

This more than likely isn't a discussion we should be having on this thread - but if we don't get Mariota (which I believe we prob won't) then we can table the discussion when college football begins.

14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

"...he processes things almost too quickly for his own good sometimes...So his eyes and brain are on maybe the 3rd or 4th [read] in a progression and his feet are still on number 1."

-Mark Helfrich, Oregon Head Coach, on what's a Mariota negative. I'll take a QB who processes information too quickly over the alternative any day of the week. Based on that quote, Mariota sounds like the anti-Geno.

NCJetsfan, lockgang and Big Cat like this.
  15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Man Gruden loves Mariota.

16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

In the show I just watched today he was on with Kiper and said he thought Dante Fowler was the best player in the whole draft.

17. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

According to Mark Dominik on ESPN the Bucs Oc likes Mariota over Jameis.

18. JStokes

Cimini just said on ESPN Radio (Michael Kay show) that the Jets aren't interested in Mariota and if he is there at 6 they'd pass him up and they certainly aren't trading up for him.

FWIW.

He's a douche though so what does he know.

_

xxedge72x likes this.
  19. Big Cat

I stopped listening to anything these guys say. The reality is no one knows anything and everyone is drawing at straws trying to get clicks. Teams have an inner circle of about 4 people and only those guys know the draft plan. The scouts and "inside sources" that the media has access to aren't even informed.

20. JStokes

I would so love for him to be wrong.

But if we pass on Mariota, well, I can't even.

_