If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Oof come on, you can shit on next year's QB class and I'll agree with you, but you can't predict a QB class 2 to 3 years out.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Not entirely true. 2-3 years ago some of us saw Teddy and Carr and Mariota as possibly being in the 2014 draft. Mariota stayed till this year, but Winston came on the scene last year.

I don't think there is anyone the next 2 years out that look like Teddy or Carr or Mariota. MAYBE Cardale Jones but he might not even start this year.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I think you can to some extent. Were there any freshmen or sophomore QBs who lit it up this year? If not, then you'll wind up with either underclassmen or senior QBs who only have 1-2 excellent years at best, and none will have put up 3 years of great play like Mariota did. If Connor Cook explodes next year, he'll have had one year of great play and 1-2 of solid to maybe pretty good play. If he were playing in a spread system, no one would even consider him before the 4th round with his numbers.

Besides, what's just as important, and perhaps even more important is that even without a quality QB, I truly expect for Bowles to have the Jets playing tough, smart, disciplined football and for their record to improve each season, and for Mac to continue to build the talent and speed on the team. I could see us finishing at least 8-8 this year if not 10-6. In the years following, I could see us winning an additional 1-2 games every year if the QB play is even average. If we can't even get average QB play, then we'll have a new HC and possibly new GM anyway in 3-4 years.

IMO you make the move now when there is definitely a great QB prospect there and we're a lot closer (#6 vs. #15 or #20) to being where we need to be to get him. If it would take 3 1st round picks this year to trade up, in future years it could take 4-6 1st round picks to move up.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We can have the best defense in the league but without a franchise QB we will be mediocre at best and Rex proved that with Sanchez. Yeah we got to the conference title game, so what? Look at the two QBs that sent us home, both fixtures on their teams (well Manning was until he got hurt).

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. JStokes

Exactly. I know I've argued with 101 about Cook, and I'll not trash him but going into his senior year I don't look at Cook as anywhere the prospect of Teddy or Carr or Mariota from 2 or 3 years ago.

He's just not. I watched him quite a bit last year because of 101 and I was whelmed by him. Not over. Not under. Just whelmed.

We may all need to jump on his bandwagon this upcoming year--but he didn't not jump out at me like those 3.

_

7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Sometimes when I'm alone at night I whelm to myself

legler82 likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

All the misinformation right now are that the Jets are whimping out on Mariotta.

The only thing that counts is what happens 8 Pm next Thursday.

We have all figured out how this pathetic team drafts like idiots. Positional players other than QB don't win games. Does Mac want to go down that road? I doubt it.

Their is no way Bowles and Mac roll with Geno so Mac will continue with his aggressive moves IMO.

9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for Schotty's playcalling with 3 straight up the middle handoffs on the goal line , we win that Pittsburgh game.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Nah, he's definitely better then Carr as a pro prospect. He throws the football better. Anyway, like I said before about Cook (100 times) - the potential of Cook is not as high as Mariota or Teddy, but he has plenty of skill-sets that translate to the next level, and has a good football IQ. He has an established floor, higher then Mariota. I want a QB that the Jets can win with for the next 10+ yrs just like everyone else. Cook, I believe will just do that.

I hope we get Cooper this year and Cook the next. Oh BTW - there's no bandwagon, if Cook works on his footwork (direct correlation to his over-throws - he tends to throw across the body) and shows more consistency in that regard - just remember who hyped him up first. He's already got a great arm, and all of his throws are effortless.

Joe Flacco / Carson Palmer type of QB

11. JStokes

Stopped reading right there.

Pfail.

_

12. 101GangGreen101

See the thing is, you are not for certain Mariota will be a franchise QB, so you are still taking a gamble. He's not going to be great out of the gate. My goal as a Jets fan is to hope the Jets field the best TEAM, the best team doesn't always contain the best QB - but one that will make plays when it matters the most and doesn't fuck it up on a constant basis.

That type of trade - you better hope Mariota becomes one of the best in the league.

13. 101GangGreen101

That's fine you can stop reading there. Truth tends to hurt, but Cook has more arm strength.

14. JStokes

Wow.

Carr had the most arm strength of any QB last year and he throws fastballs compared to Cook.

But arm strength--even though it isn't the most important criteria--isn't the main issue for Cook. Carr was so much more accurate that Cook in college.

The next time Cook completes more than 59% of his passes, it will be the first.

And that's not even taking into consideration Carr's superior athleticism.

_

15. NCJetsfan

I'm confident that he will, especially with Chan Gailey as his OC.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

Yup, Carr has great arm strength - Mettenberger you could argue is in that class as well. Cook I think has a stronger arm. The guy can make some impressive throws as well. Carr has the faster release, but Cook can throw a nice fast ball himself too. The pre and post delivery of Cook throwing the football is pretty good. The feet need work.

Arm strength isn't the only reason, I like Cook as a prospect - like I said he has several skill-sets that translate pretty well to the next level. A work in progress, but I see what the guy has to offer. That's all that matters in my book.

Majority of Carr's throws were screens and quick passes in college, he has great arm strength, but if I had one flaw so far for Carr in the NFL it's his deep ball accuracy. Even as a complete prospect coming out of college, Carr still has a ways to go. I really like Carr too.

Cook may very well complete 60% of his passes next yr, to me not a huge deal - as QBs in the past have completed less then 60, then ended up doing so their senior yr.

BTW - Cook, sneaky athletic. I've seen him scramble, make throws on the run and do QB sneaks various times. He's no Bledsoe in the pocket.

17. 101GangGreen101

If the Jets truly feel that way, they should explore a trade.

18. JStokes

I get you love Cook but the combo of arm talent, accuracy and athleticism puts Carr above him. And I find him almost clumsy.

But if we don't get MM this year I'll be all over the Cook bandwagon next year. Will watch every game rooting for the kid. His biggest plus for me it looks like he's got some football IQ.

_

19. lockgang

lockgang Member

April 30th ‏@sportsgeek3
    @AllbrightNFL oh wow, is it true the Browns and jets are the top 2 teams in on Mariota?

Benjamin Allbright
    ‏@AllbrightNFL
    @sportsgeek3 No. Jets yes, Browns no.

Sounds like we're very interested. Still don't see it happening.

20. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

I didn't disagree with any of your comments except this one. They definitely aren't a top tier drafting team over the past 15 years but a team that drafts "like idiots" doesn't find talent like Revis, Wilkerson, Richardson, Mangold, and a nice pile of other good but not top tier players on accident. Also need to note that the current regime hasn't drafted anyone yet. That was a comment that made no sense in a post that mostly did