If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Where can we cast our vote?

_

2. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Mariota: JMO

[​IMG]

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

So you have no independent opinion on your own about anything you've discussed here and you'll base ALL of your opinions on the opinions of others. Basically you'll cut and paste your opinion based on blogs and draft guides and articles. And argue them as your own.

Yet you found it appropriate to make dickhead comments about folks here who actually watch college football and--while not professional scouts derp--have their own independantly developed opinions.

Well done.

_

4. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

If you take Sanchez at 5 you definitely take MM at 6

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Not if you learn from your past mistakes.

Br4d likes this.
  6. James Hasty

Wait, let me check my crystal ball too.

1. The biggest thing for the success of any pro quarterback is the ability to read defenses, look off defenders, make the correct decision, and get rid of the ball quickly. Until a player reaches the pros there is no telling how they will adjust to the faster speed of the game and the tighter windows of opportunity to complete a pass. Aside from a few quarterbacks (like Winston) that actually play in a pro style offense, most college QBs may as well be playing a different sport all together.

Much like Geno Smith, RGIII, etc. Marcus Mariota looks the part. He is mobile, has a strong arm, and looks good throwing the football. Coming from a spread offense there is really no telling how good Mariota is in the first place.

2. To say that next year's draft class may be weak at QB is fair but guys can and will improve. To say that the QBs two years out are crap is just a wild guess. Even if they aren't all that good they may be still better than Mariota who remains a question mark.

Br4d and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  7. James Hasty

Are you saying that Mariota also smokes pot?

Umphpool likes this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It'd be a lot cooler if he did man.

Alright, alright, alright.

Umphpool, TwoHeadedMonster and FJF like this.
  9. jetsillinifan

jetsillinifan Well-Known Member

first of all, why would they trade with us? if we're not gonna pick him, they might as well wait and trade up to right before the browns. right now we should be more worried about the browns because they have two first rounders, and a team like washington might like that. they can probably fill their oline need and get a good pass rusher out of it, they wont be missing out on much if they use their pick 5th. if the eagles wanted to snatch mariota, its going to be washington's pick. the other 4 teams will get the players they need so they wont be trading. this is why we should've lost to miami... we may lose out on winston, mariota, and cooper....

10. hookteeth

hookteeth Member

trade pick to cleveland and get both their first round picks, second round pick, and next year's first round.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Life is short. Losing to the Fins is one of the few things that makes me wish it was shorter.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The only reason for wanting to lose to the fins is if your wife is being held hostage and will be killed if the jets win.
    even then, you're still hoping for a close game

TwoHeadedMonster and FlaJet like this.
  13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I will never root for the Jets to lose. if we miss out on a player in the draft b/c of it- oh well. Great players can be found anywhere in the draft.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  14. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

If this team is lucky enough to get MM and we trade him.... ahhh, that is the Jets in a nutshell.

legler82 likes this.
  15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Others can feel free to disagree, but Smith fandom has gotten to such a point of ridiculousness that those who still adhere to it are enamored of strategies that will hurt the team. I am not saying it is their intention to place Smith's interests over the team. but that in my opinion is the net effect. Hence they are not in such net effect real Jet fans.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't know what you are reading BB. I don't see too many people on Geno Smith's side at all. This board is overwhelmingly NOT in favor of the guy's long term future with the team. There might be a couple nuts but really they aren't very vocal anyway.

The Tebow fandom was "ridiculousness"

The Sanchez nuts bordered on "ridiculousness"

There's Geno Smith fans? outside of his mom's house in Florida?

legler82 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Tebow had his set of fans that were not Jet fans.

Real Jet fans that want to win understood what Mark did for us.

No one is backing Geno. There are folks that don't want to give up on him but no one has talked about him the way myself and others talked about Mark and for good reason. Geno hasn't had the success Mark had or shown the ability Mark showed.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I agree you don't see people saying "I want Smith and don't make any moves to improve Qb this off season!" But those who in effect argue against any moves I think do so because they think it would be fine to leave Smith in place as the starter.

Let's put it this way - if the new FO does not get some real upgrade at Qb on the team, this off season will be a failure, and it would be a very bad sign about the competence of the new regime. I don't think everyone here sees it exactly that way, and of those who don't, the question is why don't they?

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If they do take Mariota I hope they sit him for a year and groom the kid. Let him take time to develop his game in the pocket before you throw him out there with this shit OL and mediocre/poor weapons.

But I don't think he will be there at #6 though anyway to make that decision.

Its not because I think he's a great prospect that can't/won't drop, I have questions about his ability personally and more and more QBs are dropping, but how in the hell does he get past Tennessee is my question? You are telling me people believe they would really pass up on a QB because of Zach Mettenberger???? The state of Tennessee isn't known for geniuses but they truly can't be that stupid down there. can they?

Especially because high draft pick QBs buy coaches time, like a built in excuse if they struggle. Whisenhunt would be basically all but assuring, assuming he makes it that far, that he enters 2016 as a lame duck coach if he passes up Mariota because he believes in Mettenberger. 2-14 in 2014, and another <5 win season with Zach Mettenberger as your own true asset after 2015 and you basically are digging your own grave. No way they let Mariota passed them

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

There are no " real upgrades" guranteed to be available this offseason. Judging the competence of the f.o. based on who they get at qb without being realistic about what is available is being very short sighted i.m.o.