If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am leery of making too much of psychological assessments of players, and i am not sure what even-keeled means here. Was Joe Namath even keeled? He certainly seemed to do alright in the New York market.

Having said my skepticism, it is why I think Mariota is probably a better fit for the Jets than Winston. Winston could benefit from being in his home state, with family and (hopefully his better and more mature) friends around than trying to fit into New York.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

anybody ever looked at how these QBs, Mariota/Winston/Hundley play/could play in the elements? Is the Hawaiian boy going to be able to handle Meadowlands winds in November? How about late season games in Antarctica, excuse me I mean Buffalo.. for the Florida-born Winston? Or Foxboro for Arizona-born/LA kid Hundley?

3. BrooklynJet97

BrooklynJet97 Active Member

If Mariota is there, I guess I would take him.

But...Im watching his sit down interview with Mariucci and hes so aloof and seems so disinterested. Thats what I dont like about him. We see Mariota, Petty, Manion and Hundley and I instantly move to Petty. Mariota is sitting there, continuing this mystery persona that he and the media have seemed to establish for himself. Im all for just leaving it all out on the field, but are players, especially veterans, going to really be drawn to him?

Can Mariota lead a team? I know he can. But can he lead a bunch of men back from, lets say, being down by a couple of touchdowns? Does he have that leadership quality seen in Jameis and Petty, the two guys who have great personalities and leadership qualities?

Hes got every single physical tool at his disposal, hes tall, fast, has a cannon for an arm and can make any throw, but what about his leadership? Hes just so robotic to me that its just a turn off.

But despite all of that, he can do everything physically, so I would take a shot if he fell to #6. We need a franchise QB and if hes there, take him. If not, a would take a shot at developing Petty for a year. I just love the confidence he gives off, thats a big thing to me,

4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I don't know how cold it was but it rained in Oregon a ton

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Good point. Having played in the Northwest for the past 3 years, you'd think he would be OK in the rain, at the very least.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Flacco, Montana, Eli are/were pretty introverted too.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

who is the last qb that played in frigid weather in college to make it big in the nfl? are there even any colleges that play in that anymore? maybe brady but college is over before it gets cold anyway..so what's the point?

legler82 likes this.
  8. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

It may be their biggest need, but it is possible that they don't see either QB as a franchise QB that they want to hitch their wagon to.

9. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I dont know that I'm super concerned about the rain, but playing in windy weather is definitely a valid concern. Not a crippling concern, but a concern nonetheless.

I havent seen a ton of arm strength from Mariota. That isnt to say he has a weak arm, however. He seems to use his above average touch to float the balls to open receivers, rather than zip them into tight windows. This doesnt mean he cant throw in extra windy weather, its just not something I've seen. While it isnt his biggest concern, I think it could be considered a concern.

One of my biggest complaints about Mariota has been the lack of zip he puts on his ball. If he isnt able to zip the ball, I dont know how well that would work in NY. Hopefully if we draft him I'm 100% wrong.

10. BrowningNagle

One thing he has going for him is his ability to throw on the run. In rough weather it puts pressure on defenses if the QB can get outside the pocket and/or throw on the run because defense by nature is reactionary and reacting is tough in poor conditions.

Rodgers just kills defenses by throwing on the run in sloppy weather at Lambeau. Russell Wilson is deadly in that Seattle rain as well by throwing on the run. Even Roethlisberger moves around a lot nicely and breaks defenses down in bad conditions.

11. jcass10

Agreed. He is fantastic throwing on the run.

12. lockgang

lockgang Member

John Middlekauff @JohnMiddlekauff
    Mariota scored 33

Charles Robinson @CharlesRobinson
    Jameis Winston scored 27 on his Wonderlic, 1 point less than Peyton Manning, Drew Brees & Russell Wilson (all w/ 28). http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...c-test-011120476.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

Stealing, immature behavior, rape allegations doesn't mean that someone isn't smart. It just means they make bad decisions. Can't believe people are surprised by Winston's wonderlic.

#1332 lockgang, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  13. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Fitzpatrick got a 48 so I really don't put too much stock into it. As long as the test doesn't reveal you're a complete moron you're good in my book.

14. BrowningNagle

Jon Gruden to Mariota (paraphrasing)

"Marcus...I am running a football team. State your case for why I should draft you and invest my teams future in Marcus Mariota"

Mariota:
    " [shrugs]... hmm... ummm... I mean.. draft me if you want to..if you like me [shrugs]"

Gruden
    "I like what I see but I also see a good prospect in Jameis Winston, why should I pick you over him?"

Mariota
    "hmmm... I mean, Winston is a good player.... I'd say draft him if you like him more... but hmmm i don't know.. if you like me more, draft me [shrugs]"

xxedge72x likes this.
  15. jcass10

I really think those Gruden specials have potential, but they just suck lol.

There was one special where he had Mariota running through a play on the white board. He asked Mariota where his progressions were and why he did what he did when Oregon ran the play. I thought that was informative and interesting to watch. Gives you a bit of insight into Mariota and his football IQ and mindset.

But most of them suck. Gruden being ridiculously complimentary while Mariota/Winston are running plays with no defense playing.

I'd rather they just stick to the classroom. That way we can say who they were supposed to throw it to and then what they actually did.

16. MikeSLTJ23

Did it really go something like that? Doesn't bother me one bit. You don't have to be an alpha male to be a successful NFL QB. Andrew Luck is regarded as like the nicest QB on the field. It gets in defenders' heads when he congratulates them on a good hit.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Maybe because I am a Jet fan, but I always see Brady being a real asshole on the field. But guess what it is not necessary to be an asshole to be a successful Qb in the NFL.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. MikeSLTJ23

And I always see Peyton doing Papa John's commercials, but I don't think you need to be a fast food mogul to be a successful NFL QB either.

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

yeah, me neither. he knows he will be a top 10 pick and he can let his game speak for itself on the field..why the hell should he care what gruden thinks or why should he try and sell himself to gruden who hasn't a team or a penny to pay him..i'm sure he had different comments for the 10-15 teams that have worked him out.

20. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Can anyone see Eli pre-draft being any different in a sit down with Gruden?

Some guys have outward bravado.

Some guys just like to show it on the field.

Doesn't bother me either that Mariota isn't tooting his own horn.

_