If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand wanting to get one of each when the class is so deep and strong. In general, that's a wise thing to do in drafts. I also understand not wanting to take an OT because it isn't a "sexy" or exciting pick, but the reality is that it's more important than the other three combined. With only so many picks, we probably can't get everything we want. Sometimes we have to go with what we need more than what we want. It's not like there won't be any good WRs, OLBs, or RBs next year. Of those three positions, a topnotch OLB is the most important and hardest to come by.

RB is the easiest position to fill, the easiest for a rookie to start, and to play at a high level. They usually don't need a season or two to develop. Thus, if the Jets are forced with a choice between a RB and an LT, OLB or WR, I think they should pass on the RB and opt for the player at the other position.

If we can't get Mariota, then imo the Jets' top priority should be addressing the OLB and LT positions. Anything else is gravy.

RuJFan likes this.
  2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If Mariota is off the board I think we need to look at OLB because there are a few top 10 studs in this class and as you said it's a tough position to fill.

My draft philosophy is take the BPA at your positions of need. I think LT isn't a huge gaping hole need.. Brick will restructure next year and is still playing good football. Tbh I think Guard is more of a need... Having said that I get what ur saying because his play has declined and if a 1st round graded OT falls to us in the 2nd I'm ok with it because we could kick him inside ala Greg Robinson with the rams last year.

3. NCJetsfan

I disagree with the bold. Brick's play is deteriorating pretty rapidly and he was never that good to begin with. He's due over $17 million next season. I can't see him taking a big pay cut, and they certainly don't want to spread his cap hit over several more years and have dead money clogging the cap. Even if so, I wouldn't want him protecting Mariota's blind side.

OG perhaps is a more immediate need, but with all the bodies they have at OG they'd darned well better be able to find two solid OGs out of that group or Idzik was a worse talent evaluator than we thought and/or the new OL position coach isn't worth a spit. Carpenter better nail down one of the spots, and I think it should be between Brewer, Aboushi and Dozier for the other.

I think it would be great if the Jets got their stud pass rusher in the first and got the LT they wanted in the 2nd. Then if they're focused more on need, they'd have to decide which was more important to them getting a field-stretching WR like Tyler Lockett in the 3rd and having to settle for a RB like Cameron Artis-Payne in the 4th, or going for a RB like T.J. Yeldon or Jeremy Langford in the 3rd and perhaps Jamison Crowder in the 4th. If they go OLB in the 1st and LT in the 2nd they're probably not going to be able to get both the type of WR or RB they want. Jamison Crowder would definitely help in the return game and could push or back up Kerley.

It will be interesting, because they could go with a DE, NT, FS, OG or even a QB like Hundley or Petty. If they go strictly by BAP and don't think about need that much, we might not wind up with any of the offensive play makers we want.

4. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

6. Rockinz

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Regarding Mariota, I have been skeptical he will fall to 6, but I have been assuming that Tampa will pick Winston with the first pick. That would mean of coures they would conclude his off the field issues do not overcome the perception that he is more ready than Mariota to play in the NFL now.

But is Tampa really likely to ignore the off the field concerns? Perhaps not. Is the Florida connection really enough to be a significant factor? Perhaps that might cut both ways, in fact.

Let's just say I will not be all that surprised, despite having assumed Tampa takes Winston, if they instead go with Mariota.

8. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Same here. I wouldn't be surprised at all. The question then becomes do we trade up to 2nd overall to grab Winston instead? Assuming the Titans are even interested at all.

9. Big Blocker

Imo the problem with the Jets pick Winston scenario is there are many more ways to get in trouble in New York compared to Tampa. If they think he's a problem, the Jets should be even more concerned. At some point he drops low enough someone has to take him, i suppose. In anwer to your question, though, I don't know.

10. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

It's a bit too risky IMO, much like picking Gregory early. Maybe you regret not making that move but maybe that guy is out of the league in three years and you wasted an opportunity to improve your team substantially.

11. lockgang

lockgang Member

IMO, they're 100% going with Winston. Just going off the things Lovie and Licht have said and their body language from Winston's pro day vs Mariota's pro day, it's clear who they're picking. Lovie/Licht go out of their way to defend Winston. Winston's character stuff is overblown. He's a very good prospect. Tampa's offense is gonna be good with Winston/Evans/Gates.

12. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

They could also be angling for someone to trade up. You can't take anything as gospel right now.

13. lockgang

lockgang Member

They're biggest need is QB. Who else would they be targeting instead?

14. Rockinz

I doubt they go NT..

Mac comes from a scouting background so I trust his judgement and thus far he has filled holes all over this team. IMO he will continue to fill holes by selecting the BPA at positions of need.

15. Big Blocker

Perhaps Mariota.

16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/04/2015_nfl_draft_scouts_take_on_the_top_quarterbacks.html

2015 NFL Draft: Scouts talk bluntly about...the top quarterbacks

Garrett Grayson, Colorado State
    Measurables: 6-2, 213, 4.60
    Stats: Threw for over 7,600 yards the past two years.
    Scouts Say: "No, I don't want him. Some team might, but it won't be us.'' ..."We weren't impressed. There's too much that needs to be done.'' ..."Good arm, pretty accurate, too. He just needs to work on mechanics and things like that. He'll be OK.'' ..."If he went to Alabama or Oregon, you would have heard a lot more about him. I think he's going to be pretty good.''

Brett Hundley, UCLA
    Measurables: 6-3, 226, 4.63
    Stats: Career 75 TDs, 25 interceptions
    Scouts Say: "I don't want to kill him, but he's just not that good.'' ..."There are tools there, but he needs time, a lot of time. He's not ready to play.'' ..."There are just too many flaws in his game.'' ..."We're not high on him at all.''

Bryce Petty, Baylor
    Measurables:
    6-3, 230, 4.87
    Stats: 62 TDs and 10 interceptions the past two years.
    Scouts Say: "He's not the guy you looking for, at least we aren't.'' ..."It looks like he just locks in one receiver every play. I'm not sure how good he is reading a defense.'' ..."He gets rid of the ball quickly, which is good. But there's not much else I like.'' ..."He had some really good players around him, which made him look a little better than he is.''

Marcus Mariota, Oregon
    Measurables: 6-4, 222, 4.52
    Stats: 42 TDs and four interceptions last season.
    Scouts Say: "In a word, great. He's the best I've seen since (Andrew) Luck. He's everything you want.'' ..."He has it all. If we had the first pick, he'd be ours. But we don't.'' ..."The only knock we have on him, is he's a thrower, not a passer. But he'll work on that. He'll be real good.'' ..."What I like best about him is he's a hard worker. He'll put in the time. That's more important than people realize.''

Jameis Winston, Florida State
    Measurables:6-4, 231, 4.90
    Stats: After throwing 40 TDs and 10 interceptions in 2013, he threw 25 TDs and 18 interceptions last year.
    Scouts Say: "The turnovers bother me as much as the off the field stuff.'' ..."If you can get by the off the field stuff, and we can't, he's really good.'' ..."If he doesn't mature, he's not going to be playing in this league. He has the talent to play, but he needs to grow up in a hurry.'' ..."It's not like we would be in line to take him, anyway, but we don't go near guys like him. There's just too much there.''

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...anking-teams-draft-interest-in-marcus-mariota

Draft stock watch: Ranking teams' interest in Marcus Mariota
    • By Chase Goodbread
    With private workouts and visits to various NFL club facilities filling the March and April calendars ofJameis Winston and Marcus Mariota, the 2015 NFL Draft's top two quarterbacks couldn't be busier trying to sell their merits as top-end first-round draft picks. Here is a look at some of the teams believed to have the highest interest in each, and how they've shown it:

RANK

[​IMG]
    JETS

Why the Jets are a good fit: There is every possibility that Mariota could fall to this point in the draft, and every possibility that new coach Todd Bowles will set the franchise in a new direction by taking him. Mariota is an even-keeled kid seemingly impervious to pressure -- a good mindset for a tough market like New York.

Why the Jets could pass: If it's going to be a year or two before Mariota is ready to take over a pro-style offense, Bowles might prefer someone who can impact the team more immediately with a high first-round pick.

When Mariota visited: A large contingent of Jets decision-makers went to Eugene, Ore., for a private workout of Mariota the last weekend in March.

18. NCJetsfan

I doubt they go NT as well, but with only TJ Barnes backing up Snacks, they may decide to add another.

In addition, there's a difference between taking the BAP and taking the BAP at a position of need. Mac is on record as saying he will draft BAP, but if they have several players graded about the same, then need will be factored in. So an NT, or any position for that matter is in play. Based on his words, it will be interesting to see what he does, but it doesn't sound like he's going to necessarily be filling holes in the draft. I agree with his philosphy. Need must be considered, but there's a HUGE difference between taking the BAP and taking the BAP at a position of need. The latter is a recipe for reaching and for a talent-poor roster. While I think taking Leonard Williams would pretty much be a wasted pick (if Mo isn't traded), there is a compelling reason to take him if he drops to #6.

19. Rockinz

If we took Williams at 6 Bowles would have to run a 4-3 D.

I'd rather try and trade back and get a kings ransom for him.

20. NCJetsfan

I disagree. They wouldn't have the most important element of a 4-3 DL - the speedy pass rusher. Barnes would probably be the odd man out and they'd rotate Snacks and Williams at NT.

We're in agreement on your last point, however. I would definitely rather trade back than take Williams. Something tells me that Mac won't be asking us, however. ;):eek: