If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Well, we know that Fitz won't be taking any snaps before TC, so it would be Geno, Mariota and Simms in mini camps and OTAs. Geno may struggle to even learn the offense, much less improve on his reading of defenses, particularly with Bowles' creativity with blitzes. Mariota may struggle with taking snaps under center, his drops and probably reading Ds initially, but I think that Mariota would blow Geno out of the water with his knowledge of the offense and reading Ds by the time TC starts. Since both are more mobile QBs and both came from spread offenses, I think that's the way Gailey would go with his offense. IMO Fitz would not be such a great fit in that offense. Based on Mariota's and Geno's practice prior to TC, Gailey would then have to decide how to shape the offense, whether towards Mariota and Geno or towards Fitz, who is more immobile. If he goes with an offense more built around what Fitz does best, then Geno almost certainly would struggle, and Mariota could very well struggle as well. I think with Mariota it would just depend on how much trouble he had making the adjustment to the faster speed in the NFL, taking snaps from under center and huddling the team. At any rate, I think it would most likely be a two-horse race at that point between Fitz and Mariota, but hopefully Geno would surprise me.

I'd hate to be in Gailey's shoes right now. He's probably having to devise two offenses with some elements common to both. I know that I wouldn't be very excited or optimistic about having Geno and Fitz as my two options at QB. If Schaub is signed, that makes things even more complex for him, as I don't think he would work well in a more spread-type offense at all, but could be wrong about that.

2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Schaub is a raven

3. NCJetsfan

Good!

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

You don't need to create 2 different offenses just different packages within the same O.

5. NCJetsfan

That's basically what I meant, not two radically different offenses. Just a poor choice of words on my part.

6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I don't even think we would need 2 packages.. Mariota will learn and fits perfectly in Chans system.

7. legler82

By packages we mean sets of plays w/in the offense that will accentuate Mariota's strengths early on as a rookie. Not unlike what Chip Kelly did with Sanchez and Foles. With Sanchez they ran a lot more plays with him on the move (i.e., bootlegs, roll outs, zone reads…etc) since he was the more athletic of the 2.

#1287 legler82, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  8. Rockinz

I see. That makes sense.

9. legler82

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...xplains-why-he-ranks-mariota-ahead-of-winston

Mayock explains why he ranks Mariota ahead of Winston
    • By Bryan Fischer
    • College Football 24/7 writer
    • Published: April 8, 2015 at 06:24 p.m.
    • Updated: April 8, 2015 at 07:07 p.m

NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock made waves Wednesday when he released his updated positional rankings for the 2015 NFL Draft, listing Oregon's Marcus Mariota as his No. 1 quarterback ahead of Florida State's Jameis Winston.

The players are the consensus top two quarterbacks in the draft, but most have Winston ranked ahead of Mariota. Mayock had Winston rated No. 1, ahead of Mariota, before revealing his rankings on Wednesday. We've heard in recent weeks that the gap between the two might not be as wide as once thought, and Mayock went a step further by flipping the two on his board after taking in both of their pro days and watching even more tape on them.

"I've been fighting with this thing all along. There have been two issues for me with Winston. Number one is on the field. He threw 18 interceptions this year. On a team that arguably had the best talent in the country, he continued to put his team at a disadvantage almost weekly," Mayock said on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft" Wednesday. " ... Off the field, regardless of what did or didn't happen in that alleged rape, he continued a pattern of poor decisions throughout his career. The bottom line for me is, can you trust him off the field?

"As far as Mariota is concerned, the more tape that I've watched, the more I've appreciated what he's been asked to do in their version of the spread offense. He reads combination routes, takes tremendous care of the football, and he wins games. He's not a natural thrower, but in the correct scheme, I think he can be productive. I've been fighting this for a long time, and I think that's what I've come down on."

Winston has long been the presumptive No. 1 overall pick of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and Mayock said all signs continue to point to the Florida State star still being the Bucs' selection.

"There's nobody in their right mind who cares what I think. This is all about (Bucs general manager) Jason Licht and (head coach) Lovie Smith. I think there's every indication that (Winston) will go No. 1," Mayock said. "The bigger question is what happens with Tennessee at No. 2. Will they try to trade that pick and move down or will they pick (Mariota) or Leonard Williams? That's really where the suspense will start."

The real suspense might not start until the draft begins on April 30, but there will be plenty of intriguing twists and turns before we get to that point.

10. Rockinz

This offseason has been nuts and I think it will continue in the Draft.

Someone is trading to #2 or the Titans are set on Mariota.

Who knows the Bucs might shock the world and take Mariota #1

11. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

I think the Jets are sitting pretty at 6. Moving up for Mariota maybe too steep a cost. There are options at 6 that will really help the team. One of the OLB will really help and we should seriously think about trading back to pick up a guy like Scherff who could really help this offense. We have a defense if we could upgrade the offensive line we maybe in business.

12. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't want Scherff under any circumstances in the first round. If he fell to the 2nd round, ok, but my personal opinion is that the first round is too high to take an OG. I don't think he will be successful as an OT in the NFL. I think he projects to OG and will be a good one, but if the Jets are going to trade back in the first, then imo the target has to be an LT to replace Brick next year.

13. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

Depending how far we trade back and if we do I would like a player that can play guard this year and take over for brick in the future. La'ell collins maybe a fit.

14. NCJetsfan

Yep, I agree. Get Brick's replacement and let him get some experience at OG this year, then take over for Brick next year. I like Collins too.

15. Rockinz

I think they will worry about Brick and his replacement next year.. This class isn't very deep at OT and I wouldn't waste a pick this year on one unless it's a 7th rounder...

This year it's all about either a WR a RB or an OLB.. All 3 positions are deep and I hope we grab one of each in the first 4 rounds.

I would LOVE this

1st Mariota QB
    2nd Harold/Strong/Gurley
    3rd Yeldon/Dorsett/Kikaha
    4th Golden/Davis RB /Conley

16. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I think Dorsett in round 2 and Yeldon in round 3 and I'm with you.

_

17. NCJetsfan

You may be right, but if so, I will begin worrying about Mac's smarts as a GM. IMO one thing you absolutely do NOT do is start a rookie LT except in the rarest of situations. The Jets aren't going to be able to get their next LT in FA, and if Mac does any kind of job in the draft and Bowles with the team, they probably aren't going to be within sniffing distance of getting a topflight (top 10 pick) LT prospect. Brick is due over $17 million next year and his play is deteriorating rapidly. If the Jets are fortunate enough to get Mariota in the draft, I sure as hell don't want Brick protecting his blind side.

What does this class not being very deep at OT have to do with anything? They don't need three or four LTs, just one. There are several good OT prospects in this draft. They could be in prime position to get one of them in the 2nd round, or even in the first if they trade down a little. The Jets definitely need a speed RB to catch passes out of the backfield, but there's no way I'd take a RB over a LT. RB is the easiest position for a rookie to come in, start from day one and play well. IMO the LT position is the 2nd most important position on any team unless there is a southpaw QB, and then the RT becomes the 2nd most important position. It's more important than getting a pass rusher of one's own or a WR.

So drafting an LT is wasting a pick? I'm sorry, but that's just plain stupid.

18. Rockinz

It's wasting a pick because it's not a good OT class nor a deep one and IMO we won't be taking a OT with #6.

If Mac gambles on a raw guy in the 7th to learn under Brick I'm ok with that. One of those swing for the fences low risk high reward picks.

Although if in the 2nd, if a guy like Peat/DJ/Flowers falls then I'm ok with that too.

#1298 Rockinz, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  19. NCJetsfan

You contradict yourself. First you say it's a waste to use a pick on an OT unless it's in the 7th round, and then you say you'd be ok with it if they take one in the 2nd round. Just because it isn't a good OT "class" or a deep one doesn't mean squat. That's just ridiculous. That doesn't mean that there's not one or two very good prospects. I don't know how they have Collins, Clements, Peat, Flowers, Fisher, DJ or Ogbuhe rated. If they like one of them however and think he could be Brick's successor, they should take him regardless if there is another OT in the draft that's worth a damn at all. It only takes one, so how deep or good the "class" is is meaningless.

20. Rockinz

I just don't want to draft a OT when the OLB, RB and WR class is so strong and deep.

Unless a 1st round graded player is on the board by falling or using a late pick on a project player.