If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I've read you posts in the past and you are better than this. The whole posters care more about the prospect or player narrative should be beneath you. I guess it happens every once in a while like the Tebots but it is not as rampant as you would like to make it seem. Every year you have guys that posters will pound the table for. I've yet to see a poster cease being a fan of the team because we didn't acquire the player they wanted. What's more strange is complaining about posters vehemently arguing for a prospect in a thread about said prospect.

Say what you want about Junc's sometimes irrational love of Sanchez, he's still a HUGE Jets fan probably the biggest one I've come across on these boards.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. I guarantee that no matter who we take, someone will absolute HATE the pick and be bitching and moaning. I just hope that it isn't me! ;):D

3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

After complaining about Sheldon Richardson and watching that pan out, I'll never immediately question a pick again

b.reyes16 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I'm almost positive that some of his detractors will do that (but hope I'm wrong), but imo that just shows what immature, uncivil jerks those people are. Gloating is for losers. We all need to keep the testosterone ramped down. I may be surprised, but I can't see any of the Mariota supporters gloating and saying they were right. If so, then they're as bad as those who would gloat if we drafted Mariota and he didn't develop. We all ought to be able to have civilized, intelligent discussion of our favorite team without egos and personalities getting involved.

In time no one remembers or cares (except maybe some exceedingly small and petty individuals) who wanted which player drafted, which HC or GM hired, etc., unless the individuals themselves keep harping on it and reminding everyone.

IMO, the way you respond is the way all Jets fans should respond. Kudos to you.

5. NCJetsfan

Kudos to you for learning your lesson. We all need to learn from our past mistakes. This board would be a better place if we did and the world would be in a lot better shape.

6. legler82

If you can't bitch and moan on a message board where else can you?

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

lmao, we will see about that ...

Thanks Bob Ross :D

[​IMG]

8. NCJetsfan

LOL!!!!

9. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Speaking for me--I was a huge Sanchez fan and defender but by the middle of 2011 I was losing faith and by 2012 I had lost all faith. I think he should have been the starter for 2013 but things didn't work out and I'm now happy for him in Philly. But I can't defend what he became by 2012.

I understand folks disliking the player by 2012 but some of the over-the-top revisionist history against the guy and the vitriol was just WAY too much. He was a Jet, he was a big part of an incredibly entertaining period--short-lived to be fair--and I'm a Jet fan so I'll always appreciate what he did.

As for MM, if he follows the same path as Mark or never gets us anywhere near where I think he can take us--I'll admit it just like I admitted it with Sanchez.

But I'll always have my backup gripe to throw off the "told you so" jackals--"Why didn't we draft [Teddy] [Carr] [whomever turns out better :D] in 2014 :mad::mad::mad:

_

10. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Then why question others' reasoning? There are level headed people that think Mariota I'd going to be a great QB. Your post suggests otherwise.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

See, I don't think it was irrational. As a jets fan, I always wanted him to succeed. I hated the draft pick at the time because I didn't like him as a prospect (though I swear I wasn't the headshaker at the draft). I warmed up to the pick when I found out we gave up so little to move that far up. I was thrilled we made it to 2 consecutive AFC title games, and I've always said that he was a huge part of that in the playoffs. I always thought his regular seasons were abysmal, and I really don't see how that can be argued. He came through with good performances in the playoffs, but there's still no doubt to me that he was always one of the major weak links. The team regressed and they asked him to do more. He just couldn't. So yes he did well in the playoffs, but outside of that, I think the vitriol could be understood, though people took it too far of course, probably myself included.

12. JStokes

I don't want to perpetuate this but his 2009 was ok for a rookie with so little experience, his 2010 was IMHO pretty good and in 2011 when they asked him to do more they took away his tools and didn't surround him with much. Wasn't fair to ask him to do more with less.

Too much vitriol IMHO. I've been down on Geno and he was worse than Sanchez in his first 2 years but I haven't lambasted him the way some folks killed Mark.

_

13. JStokes

Not only are some of us levelheaded, we're also incredibly frustrated at not having a QB that can go out and actually WIN games for us rather than being awful or a simply a game manager as some posters here apparently aspire to.

At some point I want to be a team capable of being 12-4 and 13-3 and 14-2 and actually contending for a SB year in and year out.

Is that too much to dream for?

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. legler82

It costs us virtually nothing to trade up for him. During his time here he never attacked fans, committed crime or was a locker room cancer. His one horrendous season was on a horrendous team. In the end he was an average at best regular season QB who played well for us in 2 AFCCG runs. So the no the vitriol will never be understood by me as I still can figure out the reason for it.

15. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

That seems kind of revisionist. In his first year, Sanchez was in the bottom of QB ratings. You can attribute that to being a rookie. In his second year, he was still in the bottom of QB ratings, as was his 3rd and 4th year. During his time with the Jets, Sanchez was never an "average at best" regular season QB. He was well below average by just about any statistical measure. HIs saving grace was that he played fairly well and made a couple of big plays in a few playoff games.

16. legler82

Well you got me. Since he was "below average" instead of "average at best", he deserves to be burned at the stake then buried while still alive. The nerve of him!

17. JStokes

Do not feed the Tebot.

He has no frame of reference for NFL quarterbacks.

_

18. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

If Mariota is there at #6, would anyone trade the pick to St. Louis for Foles, the #10 pick and the Eagles 2016 2nd round pick they recently acquired?

19. JStokes

No.

_

20. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

if mariota is on the board at 6 and we are still picking, it will be the most stressful experience of my life concerning the jets

it's because i still literally have no idea how i'd react. the power of this move would be franchise altering, whether it be for good or bad