If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I believe all of the following relatively successful NFL QBs ran some version of the Spread in college at some point or another:

Drew Brees
    Russell Wilson
    Cam Newton
    Ryan Tannehill
    Colin Kaepernick
    Ben Roethlesburger
    Alex Smith
    Joe Flacco

2. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Yes, but those who are completely opposed to spread Quarterbacks, will say that Cam Newton is breaking down, they'll say that Kaepernick is terrible, and that Alex Smith is just a "game manager".

3. legler82

The bold is the key. Jets fans have varied definitions for "doesn't work out".

4. legler82

Yeah I forget that the QB success is measured via the Luck, Manning Rodgers index.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Not really..I'de settle for a Brady, Flacco, Ryan, Brees or probably a half dozen more that I'm not thinking of..we are just looking for a franchise QB and haven't had one since Ken O'Brien who was only the second after Namath..not too much to seek in 50 years.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Good point, and you also raise another good one -- we're all Jets fans first. Most posters here only care about MM's underwear because it could be Jets green, and we're allowed to be wrong. If MM doesn't work out, then even those who think he's worth drafting will want to move on. Simple.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can't speak for others, but I can say that I've seen very few on any Jets fan board who resemble nyjunc. I can also say what I will or won't do. If the Jets take Mariota and he doesn't develop into a quality QB, I'll be one of the first to admit that he was wrong and will be ready to move on. As another poster said, most of us are reasonable and fair, and first and foremost, we are Jets fans, not just Mariota fans, and we want what's best for the Jets.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Probably the most accurate post I have read on here ever.

9. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

One thing I've learned over the years, you can't please everyone. It doesn't matter who the Jets select, some will hate the pick.

I take a more realistic approach, I study the players and make my own draft board and if we pick one of those players and not reach for an overvalued player I'm happy.

10. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Sure sounds like you are making my argument for me without him even being drafted by the Jets

11. Charlie Kelly

That's fair, but I don't think you represent the majority of people that have been down nosing anyone that doesn't like Marcus as a prospect or even looks at him as a suspect player. If the Jets do draft him I'll be very positive about wanting him to succeed but there's some people here who I don't think will ever take no for an answer and they are all over this topic

12. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

If we draft him and he's a success, will you continue to pretend like he sucks?

13. Charlie Kelly

Look at the post just above yours for the answer

14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Draft speculation is an exercise in winter boredom. Once they get drafted they stop being the doom and gloom of the team's future and start being another guy with a number printed on a green jersey.

15. legler82

Poor Charlie.

16. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Some people would prefer that everyone know they were right as opposed to the Jets getting the best player.

If Mariota is terrible, most of his pre-draft detractors will be at the front of the line forcing the pro-Mariota crew to eat crow.
    If Mariota is awesome, most of his pre-draft supporters will be at the front of the line reminding posters how they were right.

I dont like Mariota as a prospect, I didnt like Geno as a prospect. Geno gets drafted by the Jets, and I automatically become his biggest fan. I dont bitch and moan about that wasnt the year to take a QB. Same thing happens if they draft Mariota. I'll be one of his biggest supporters, and any pre-draft dislike I had for him is gone.

17. Don

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I am just happy Jet fans can't embarrass us at the draft like they do every year in NY

19. Don

haha..I thought about that, this would be the year to draft a OL at 6 when nobody is there to boo.

20. legler82

What if you get a Steve Young scenario where he is terrible with the team that drafts him but becomes a HOFer with a different team develops and utilizes him properly? Who gets to gloat in that scenario?

#1240 legler82, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015