If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Geno was actually the draft pick from 2 years ago, so if you're going to try to act like you're better than us or that you know more than us, please present correct facts. How does the fact that we want the Jets to draft Mariota mean we "ignore all reasoning and better judgement"? The fact that a lot of the experts you keep alluding to have us taking Mariota at 6 would kind of prove that we are doing the exact opposite, no?

I will also go on record saying that I will not organize a lynch mob for Maccagnan if we do not select Mariota. Glad we got that out of the way.

2. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rcus-mariota-below-andrew-luck-ahead-of-rgiii . Rg3 was considered one of the best prospects in the nation at the time... and I'm sure there are more GM and executives in the league who are high on Marcus Mariota as well. Let's talk football now... what is that you dislike about Mariota's game? Is it his mechanics, footwork, arm strength, or accuracy?

3. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

No, my original point in all of this was simply that ... if A) Mariota is not a can't miss prospect, and B) Chip Kelly, or some other team, is willing to give up a blockbuster package of picks to move up for him as if he WAS an elite prospect, then C) it follows logically that you make that trade! Because as you yourself admitted, Mariota is in that group of lower prospects (you included Wilson, 3rd rd, Brady, 6th rd., Brees, 2nd rd, etc), and those are the rare exceptions, then there's a much better chance that Mariota is a flop in the pros than that he becomes a star. So why use a premium pick on the type of QB you can get most years in the lower 1st, or 2nd round, especially when there are teams out there willing to trade a bundle to reach for him?

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I've seen every game he played the last 2 years and every televised game he played his freshman year.

You've never seen him play hence you need to lean on bloggers and draft guides to tell you what to think.

I don't need to to google scouting reports. I make my own assessment.

You sound like a child.

Now go home and get your fucking shine box, I mean your Lindy's Draft Guide.

_

5. JStokes

No, it's the blog scouting reports.

The Truth is The Lie.

_

6. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

He isn't a can't miss prospect, those guys that come along very often, but that doesn't mean we should pass on him. If a team wants Mariota they're going to trade ahead of the Jets and I highly doubt that ANY team will trade two or three first round picks to pick Mariota.

7. Truth4U2

...2 years ago, excuse me .... and now I know that you, for one, will not be a part of that lynch mob....lol

8. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Why is everything always dealing in extremes? One guy says that Mariota is going to be out of the league in 2 years. One guy says that there arent going to be any QB's worth selecting in the next 2 years, lol.

Both notions are ridiculous. Mariota has the upside and intangible qualities to be a star. Cardale Jones/Connor Cook/Jared Goff could all easily be first round talents next year.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  9. Truth4U2

Not even the Eagles? Apparently Chip Kelly is desperate to get him....of course that could be just the product of rumors and speculation, but for the sake of argument, let's say that's true (he was his coach at Oregon after all so it's at least plausible), you don't think he'd trade something like a 2nd and 4th this year, and a 1st and 3rd next year for him? Would that make you pull the trigger if you're maccagnan? (or would it have to be 2 or 3 first round picks as you mentioned for it to be worthwhile for you?)

10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Never said this. I said he was more of a project than a finished project, projects can have 1st round grades you know. Clearly they do because everybody and their mother has Mariota in the top 5-10.

He is an elite prospect, everyone has him graded very highly(5-10). Don't confuse elite and can't miss. Elite's don't have to be can't miss, but can't miss have to be elites, follow?

You also failed to reply to what was intended to be the main point of that post, which is fine. I expected that.

11. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

If he fell to us and we skipped it would be like Marino all over again

12. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Lets go Bowles of Mac... Make it happen

FlaJet, KY Jets Fan and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. Truth4U2

Look, we're tripping over semantics here. Basically, I consider Mariota to be more in the Chad Pennington class of prospect, the kind that should go in the bottom half of the first round in a typical draft, like where we drafted Chad. Now I'm no expert on the transition from college to the pros, so I will refer to what the experts have to say, and from what I have gathered so far most seem to view Mariota as more of a mid-lower 1st rd prospect than a true top 5 type talent, they seem to think he's being overrated because, as has been well-documented, this is a weak QB draft.

If some fans on here think they know more than the experts, then that's fine, they are entitled to their opinion. But I will decide what I think the Jets should do with their draft pick based on the accumulated info I can gather from various sources as the process unfolds. I've seen Mariota play some in college, most recently the BCS playoffs where he was less than impressive, but I know that the college and pro games are very different and I know that I am not qualified personally to project what I saw from him in college to the Pro game, so I will defer to those who devote their livelihoods to doing just that.

But again, we are all free to use any criteria we want in forming our opinions.

14. JStokes

There is no way right now Cook or Goff are the prospects that Mariota and Winston were last year at this time. Not even close.

They could easily be first rounders next year but they could just as easily not be.

Cardale Jones is a complete unknown. Massive talent but who knows whether he'll even play next year. Or come out.

_

15. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I disagree that there are no QB's on Mariota's level in the next 2 years. Agree to disagree on that one lol.

16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on both Mariota the prospect and the best way to evaluate prospects. To each his own.

Truth4U2 likes this.
  17. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I agree, as of now it is not even close. But will see in a year or so how much they've improved.

18. JStokes

Look if we don't get a QB this year I'm rooting for both of those guys to improve but right now I'm not pining for either of them.

Not like I've been pining for Teddy, Carr or Mariota since 2013.

_

19. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

It kind of depends who else is available and if we pick up a QB in free agency or not, so it's hard to say. I'm not in love with the idea of picking Mariota but I wouldn't punch my TV in anger at the possibility. My thought is that Mac is a new GM and that he's more of a scouting guy than a contract/trading guy so he's going to probably stick at 6 and pick his highest ranked player on the board.

20. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

I nominate: Truth4u2 - rich kotite least knowledgable award winner 2015.

legler82, joe and KY Jets Fan like this.