If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jetsillinifan

jetsillinifan Well-Known Member

i choose the option in a heartbeat, so should you

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

October 10th, 2013. Guy has Mariota as the 6th best prospect available.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/15/2014-nfl-draft-big-board/

You were saying??

Also, Winston couldn't have been a 1st round pick last year because he was ineligible for the draft, that's why no one had him in any mock drafts.

3. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

This is just wrong.

I've heard many experts call Winston the best prospect since Andrew Luck. Mariota may not be as hyped as RG3 but I think he would have certainly been considered (if he came out last year) to be better than virtually all the first rounders (except maybe Bridgewater).

4. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

To be fair, this guy also ranks Tajh Boyd 12th overall. o_O

5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Massively naive post, well done Truth.

First of all, I've been following Mariota since his rookie season and he was literally on everyone's radar going into his sophomore year. Not just professional scouts, regular college football fans. Obviously one of which you are not. Yeah, that's two years ago.

Second, Winston hadn't even played two years ago, he was entering his true freshman year, but nice observation. Shows that you're very up on college prospects.

Third, the two biggest prospect next year are not in the class of Mariota or Winston and weren't in their class heading into either's years last year.

Fourth, no one knows who is going to be in the draft class two years from now--but there is no one like Mariota when he was heading into his soph year--so planning on "grabbing our franchise QB' when you have no idea who will be there or whether you'll be in a position to take him is a stupid plan.

Fifth--when you say "supposedly Bortles and Geno were considered better prospects than Mariota or Winston" you just sound stupid.

Sixth, you "keep reading" that this is a weak class, but that's AFTER the top two who are considered very good prospects. But you keep reading magazines rather than watching and making your own decisions. If you need links to something to convince you of what to think, do your own internet research. I watch actual games.

Seventh, considering your dearth of knowledge on QB prospects I can't imagine who you'd say we'd draft with that amazing haul of draft picks we'd be getting. Actually, you'd have no idea.

But good plan, don't forget to buy your Lindy's Draft Guide and check with CBS Sportsline so you know what to think.

_

Big Blocker and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I felt this needed it's own quote. Where did you hear this? The barbershop?
    To refute that statement, I present..."One AFC Personnel Executive believes Oregon QB Marcus Mariota and FSU QB Jameis Winston are better than Blake Bortles." Link posted below. However, while reading the link I realize they made no mention of Bortles, but of Ryan Tannehill? Maybe it's just a typo one way or the other. However, the headline states Bortles, so I have to assume that's who they meant.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/37862/exec-mariotawinston-are-better-than-bortles

7. JStokes

He sounds like a naive child regurgitating stuff he's read in the internetz because he's never seen any of these guys play.

"Yeahhhh let's get draft picks! What a haul!!"

_

8. JStokes

"Supposedly" is the operative term.

He wasn't saying it, it was something he thinks he's read.

_

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

That's true, but overall I felt his interpretation was pretty solid. A lot of people went right around where he had them.
    At any rate, Truth needed a link saying people knew about Mariota last year, and had him ranked highly. I provided that for him.

10. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Well, I don't have time to dig up all the articles I've read, but when I googled Marcus Mariota just now the first one I came across has 2 experts who don't think he's all that great a prospect, so...
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-disagrees-with-mike-mayock-on-marcus-mariota

"...Mayock said he views Mariota as a project for NFL clubs with one exception: the Philadelphia Eagles, where his former coach, Chip Kelly, is operating an offense that functions much like the one Mariota has grown accustomed to at Oregon."

"NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah regards Mariota as the No. 11 overall prospect available in the 2015 draft. But with quarterback being a position of great need for a number NFL clubs drafting early in the first round, Mariota is more likely to be chosen in the top 10."

In other words, Mariota is a project who teams will reach for because of the need at QB....hmmm doesn't exactly sound like a can't miss Andrew Luck-type prospect that won't come along again for another 2 or 3 years....besides, just the fact that we're even discussing the possibility of him slipping out of the top 5 proves he's not an elite prospect. In fact, the truly elite QB prospects (Elway, P.Manning, Luck, etc) always go #1 overall .... So yeah, case closed.

#90 Truth4U2, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  11. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

How is Foles solid ? He looks like a fluke to me, and plenty of Eagles fans i know.

12. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Take him and tell Geno to grab a clipboard.

13. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Yes, and the media also said that Bridgewater , last season, was a "project" due to his supposedly weak arm and skinny frame and Derek Carr was considered a work in progress due to ONE poor performance against USC ... Tony Dungy and Jim Mora have spoken highly of Mariota but that doesn't mean crap because they aren't employed in the NFL at the moment and won't have any involvement in his development as a Quarterback . Do you seriously allow the media to affect your evaluations and thoughts on other prospects? Watch these prospects and FORMULATE your own thoughts and opinions

#93 BigSnacks54, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  14. JStokes

As I suspected you let Google do your thinking for you.

Like I said. Good plan. A bit naive.

But good plan.

_

15. JStokes

He can't formulate his own opinion because he's never seen any of these guys play.

Waste of time discussing it with him. Naive.

_

16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If you had actually read any of my posts before you would know that I agree that he's a more of a project than a finished product, which is why I want him to sit for a year if we do draft him.

You want quotes?

"Dungy was on "The Dan Patrick Show" on Monday morning and gushed about Mariota, saying "he is going to be a great pro" and calling him "Aaron Rodgers in the waiting.""
    "NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks wrote last week that Mariota "has all of the tools to be a dynamic offensive weapon" in the NFL."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...arcus-mariota-is-aaron-rodgers-in-the-waiting

To borrow from the link you so generously posted.

"Appearing on The Rich Eisen Show on Tuesday Mora said: "I don't agree with that. And I would venture to say I've seen more of Marcus Mariota than Mike Mayock. And I respect Mike. If there is one voice out there that I'd listen to, it would be Mike because he does the work, he doesn't poach off of other people's information. He looks at the film, he's active in calling coaches. But I don't think that he's a project. I think the guy is special, that's just based upon playing him and evaluating and studying him for two years now.""
    "In my opinion he's the best quarterback and the best player," Mora said. "That's my opinion based upon what I've seen, which is a lot of film of him. Anytime you start to go in depth in evaluating these players, you're going to find holes. There is nobody that doesn't have a weakness, a deficiency. But Marcus Mariota has such great character, he's big, he's fast, he's strong, he can throw it. To me, he's a sure thing."

I think any rational person would listen to Tony Dungy and Jim Mora over Mike Mayock and Daniel Jeremiah. That's just my opinion though. Also, the fact that you only want to draft can't miss prospects speaks volumes. Just FYI, you would've passed on Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, Brees, Roethislberger, & Flacco. I'm sure there are more, but you get the idea. You'd rather have Cam Newton, Alex Smith, Carson Palmer over Rodgers?? I mean, those guys were drafted 1st overall, so clearly they're can't miss prospects right??

legler82 and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. Truth4U2

"I don't believe there's an Andrew Luck-caliber quarterback currently playing college football, and we won't see a talent like the Indianapolis Colts quarterback for a long time. That being said, Oregon QB Marcus Mariota is one of the more intriguing quarterbacks we've seen in a number of years.
    Mariota has a dual-threat skill set similar to Johnny Manziel, the Heisman Trophy winner from Texas A&M who now plays for the Cleveland Browns. The 2014 NFL Draft first-round pick very nearly went to Oregon, and then-Oregon coach and current Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly said losing out on Manziel, "broke my heart." Instead, Kelly was able to get a commitment from Mariota in the same recruiting class.

Sometimes it's tough to find comparisons for players who run the wide-open Oregon offense, but I reached out to five NFL personnel executives to see which current NFL quarterback does Mariota remind them of as a player.

Executive 1: Colin Kaepernick
    "The easy answer is Kaepernick. Both have rare speed and were unpolished passers. Both were great kids coming out of college."

Executive 2: Robert Griffin III
    "This is a tough one. At the same point in their careers, I'd say RGIII. They have similar arm strengths, and an ability to run, escape and extend plays."

Executive 3: Colin Kaepernick
    "He reminds me of Kaepernick, but Colin is bigger and strong than Mariota. I think Mariota might be a little bit faster."

Executive 4: Colin Kaepernick
    "He reminds me of Kaepernick, but with better instincts and a little less arm."

Executive 5: Sam Bradford
    "He's a more athletic version of Sam Bradford."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...o-does-marcus-mariota-of-oregon-remind-you-of

So, let's see, Chip Kelly, Mariota's biggest fan boy, was also lusting after Johnny Manziel......and NFL personell execs compare Mariota to Kaepernick, RGIII, and Sam Bradford. But some fans here are so desperate for a new toy at QB because they've already given up on their boy toy from last year, Geno Smith, that they are willing to ignore all reasoning and better judgement and organize a lynch mob for Maccagnan if he doesn't draft their new crush Marcus Mariota .... LOL!

18. Truth4U2

...and what exactly do you base all your great "thinking" on, the dreams floating around in your head of Mariota leading the Jets to a SB championship? How many Oregon games have you actually watched? And what credentials do you have for evaluating what you see in college games anyway? Were you ever an NFL scout? LOL .... you act like you're some "smarter than thou" guru sitting in your ivory tower, and you can just ignore all of the actual research that other fans do. ....really, what do you base your magnificent opinions on lol?

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

What does this have to do with anything? Kelly recruited Manziel to come to Oregon, that's what college coaches do, they recruit good players.

20. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

to add to that, most reporters were kissing Mariota's feet before he lost to Ohio. It wasn't until then when EVERY one said he'd drop to us, or maybe further