If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Very possible. But who's to say they dont love Cooper, Williams or Gregory? If they trade back they most likely lose out on all of em.

Raiders seem to have a history of falling in love with 1 player and selecting him at all costs.

2. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't trade a 4th rounder for RG3.

Big Blocker and Br4d like this.
  3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

No way.

4. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

I would much rather trade the pick if he's still there. The kid has got all the tools and can do everything, EXCEPT throw consistently from the pocket. That's kind of a big deal...

If you could talk Cleveland into giving up their two first rounders this year, then now we're talking...

5. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The way the Jets get a deal for Mariota is if only a few teams value him highly and they're looking at each other trying to figure out where the jump point is going to be to trade up for him.

If the Browns and the Eagles both want him then the Jets are sitting pretty on the 6 pick because it is going to take a huge overload deal before that spot for either team to move up. For the Jets it might just be a couple of 1sts and a QB and another pick somewhere.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No. RGIII's shelf life is extremely short at this point because he can't stay healthy.

8. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

And it should be us trading up to get our man

joe likes this.
  9. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

One that involves a young true franchise QB.

That's it.

I'm not trading him for Nick Foles and all the WRs and OTs and CBs and RBs and in the world.

If he doesn't pan out, then so be it. We just continue to be the Jets for another 10 years.

If he does pan out, we're consistently competitive, a playoff team every year and a SB contender for the next 12 years.

I'm not sure how you've taken my "comical" comments that he's GOING to be the next Rodgers or Luck.

Have never said anything of the sort. I've said his CEILING is Rodgers. Not saying he'll ever reach his ceiling or anything close. I have no idea.

But you have no idea whether he will or not.

I'm not willing to risk it on Nick Foles and an extra CB or WR or OT or whatever (who also COULD bust).

QB is more important than any other position. After 45 years as a Jet fan I feel we finally HAVE to find our franchise QB.

If you don't like my opinion, that's fine. Put me on ignore.

_

alleycat9, joe and Brook! like this.
  10. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

The reality is that the Jets would trade up to get Mariota before trading back and passing on him.

After the first two picks, the three teams before the Jets are not a threat to get him. After the Jets, there isn't a threat to get Mariotta until pick #10. A team like Cleveland would have an easier time trading with someone in front of the Jets or behind the Jets because that team isn't looking for a QB.

legler82 likes this.
  11. JStokes

This.

_

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

To be precise here, I totally agree the second statement is nonsensical. The odds of getting a solid Qb in the lower rounds are so small it's not worth talking about, and certainly not worth depending on. When I see someone say something along those lines, I think the poster is either stupid, does not know the game, or some combination thereof.

The first, though, requires a bit of nuance. By that I mean that the collective bargaining agreement is going to force the Jets to be relatively active in FA this off season, certainly compared to last off season. Of course if by playmakers you mean skilled position players on O, those don't have to be, HAVE TO be, the players they go after in FA. But they probably will be to some extent, even if the Jets strike out in efforts to improve the Qb position.

Having said that it remains nonsensical if the implication is that the Jets should not try to upgrade Qb this off season. But frankly I think most of the people who think that are really Smith fans who, at this point by definition, don't know hardly anything about football.

Just wanted to clarify that.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  13. JStokes

100%, it's kind of obvious.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

There isn't a person on the site that backs Geno the way some of us did w/ Sanchez.

legler82, The 1985er and Murrell2878 like this.
  15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Unless Winston falls to #6 the smart move is to trade down.

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

They ain't alone.

[​IMG]

17. Big Blocker

I totally get this argument. But Ftr I am not sold on it, since I don't see Foles as more of a risk than Mariota. Perhaps you can argue Mariota has a higher ceiling, but he might also have a lower floor. Foles is sitll a young guy, so it's not like he's a hold the fort guy. Can Foles with the right team win an SB? I think so, others might differ.

Add in the other holes on thisteam and the weakness across the roster, and I think it becomes a case of using the leverage that Kelly's desire to get Mariota would give the Jets to obtain a package of picks too attractive to pass on.

Having said that, I remain skeptical that Mariota falls to 6.

18. Big Blocker

Yeah well I think it because I think it's true. Heh. 100% true.

It amazes me to see people who essentially hope for a strategy that means the Jets will have Smith as the opening day starter, and even remain so for the whole season. And I am not talking about fans of other teams in the division, all of whom would love to see Smith in that role. I am talking about putative Jet fans.

19. JStokes

Understand, I'm not diminishing Foles the player. He'd be a massive upgrade over Geno.

The question is being ask as a hypothetical--what would I do if I were McCag.

I wouldn't trade that pick (assuming it was Mariota) for Foles and extra picks. That's me.

If the REAL McCags does it then I'd root like hell for Foles to play like he did the year before last.

Funny thing is, if Foles had played this year like last year but gotten hurt, no one would be talking about Kelly trading Foles regardless of his affinity with Mariota. He's only potentially available in a trade because folks may be seeing holes in his game.

He's a very solid QB.

I'd rather take the gamble on Mariota and the picks we have at the top of every round and our FA cash to fill in need areas.

_

20. Big Blocker

I think Kelly sees Mariota as a better fit for the kind of O he wants. That's the other thing, Kelly might be right abou that, and meanwhile the Jets will likely take a different approach with the O, one Foles might be better suited to.