If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

It wasn't a red herring. I was agreeing with you completely IN CERTAIN CASES. If Elway, Manning or Luck come up, you absolutely grab them then try to build around them. I don't put a guy like Mariota in that category. I wouldn't trade up to get him, nor would I spend a high draft pick on him unless my team was fairly strong to begin with. Given all the holes/needs the Jets have, if Mariota was available at #6, I'd trade down and take other players.

The 1985er and James Hasty like this.
  2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Considering how fervently you defended Tebow as an NFL QB, you are last person I'd listen to when evaluating QB prospects.

Elway, Luck and Manning come around once a decade at best. Waiting to draft a QB high until you find one of those guys is moronic regardless of how many "holes" you have, especially when you have the cap space we have.

And considering you aren't a Jet fan, I really don't care what you'd do if we're on the clock at 6 and Mariota is there.

_

JoeyStylez likes this.
  3. JoeyStylez

JoeyStylez Banned

Except that Russell can make plays from the pocket with his arm when he has to. Those two consecutive throws in OT in the NFC Championship game were major league throws, put right on the money. Those were perfect pinpoint passes and they put the Seahawks into the SB. The O doesn't resolve around him b/c it doesn't have to, but when he is called on to make plays, he makes them. 3 years in the league he's thrown for 72 TD's, 26 INTs completing over 65% of his passes. Those are elite numbers.

almbleamal likes this.
  4. JoeyStylez

JoeyStylez Banned

JaMarcus busted for several reasons, including him not being as good a prospect as the Raiders thought, the revolving door at HC, and the Raiders simply being a joke of a franchise. Doesn't matter if QB has a high bust rate, you keep picking until you find one. For 20 years the Colts kept striking out with QB picks...Schlicter, Elway, George...until they finally got it right with Peyton.

RGIII had a great rookie season, then never fully healed and is also the victim of playing for a crappy franchise. Get him healthy, build around his strenghs and watch him get back to what he was.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. JoeyStylez

JoeyStylez Banned

If Winston falls to the Jets (that is my dream scenario), he should be expected to start Week 1.

If Mariotta falls to the Jets, they should take him but sit him for a year so he can learn and grow at a slower pace (unless he's lighting it up in TC).

6. Demosthenes9

And I'll continue to defend Tebow as an NFL QB, especially while the likes of Drew Stanton and Blaine Gabbert are still on NFL rosters.

Yes, Elway, Luck and Manning only come around once in a blue moon. That's why you go ahead and grab them even if your team sucks. If you think that a QB prospect MIGHT develop into being an average or even good QB in a couple of years, you don't waste a high first round pick on them.

Say the Jets took Mariota at #6. What is the best result you could honestly hope for in the next 4 years ? He's not Luck, or Elway, or Manning. Sure, you might lose fewer games due to QB stupidity, but it's doubtful that you'd make the playoffs or go very deep in them given the state of the rest of the roster.

7. JStokes

The fact that Stanton and Gabbert are STILL on NFL rosters and will be for a while and Tebow is doing color commentary for the SEC and the 700 Club should illustrate to you how misguided your defense of Tebow is.

He is not and never was an NFL QB. And while Stanton and Gabbert may not be good at all, they are still NFL QBs.

The rest of your non sense is gibberish based on red herrings.

_

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I like the way you are thinking.

9. Demosthenes9

The rest of what I said isn't nonsense at all. Hell, look at the poll. Trading down is the majority opinion.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Marcus seems to be doing all he can to ensure he's ready for the NFL.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/02/5_takeaways_from_marcus_mariotas_nfl_combine_press.html

A lot to like for sure. They say the interview process has been just as good if not better then Wilson.

11. JStokes

A poll result doesn't make anything you said not nonesense. You're whole analysis is illogical and based on red herrings and faulty ones at that.

Don't have time for your nonesense, going to see the Rangers get there ass kicked.

_

12. Demosthenes9

Your pronouncement doesn't mean shit. You have yet to even begin to invalidate anything that I have said.

13. JStokes

Tebow is not an NFL QB.

All that follows is invalid.

I'll invalidate the rest of your drivel tomorrow.

_

14. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I am sorry but even if he is a bust (and I don't think he will be) I think he is worth the risk. Even if he isn't a star hell be a decent quarterback. One thing people forget about Mariota and that is that he is as tough as a coffin nail.. Oregon lost its entire line in the beginning of the season. He got creamed against Washington State, Arizona and Utah (three very good defenses) and played fine. Go back and watch those games. I realize he scrambles sometimes but I can't believe people think he can't take a hit! Is our offensive line that bad?

15. Demosthenes9

All that follows isn't invalid at all. Step on up and demonstrate that I am wrong sunshine.

16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

To those in the "it is worth the risk even if he is a bust" camp I would call our recent experience to your attention.

There is a big, huge difference between taking a player like Vernon Gholsten who busts as a pass rusher and taking a franchise QB in the first ten overall picks of the draft who busts like Sanchez.

Gholsten spent most of his time as a backup and failed to generate any sacks. In short we got very little value for the pick. However, Gholsten sitting on the bench while adding no value did not cause us to lose games.

Clearly anyone aside from Junc will admit that taking Mark Sanchez at #6 overall did not turn out to be a good value for us. The fact that he is still playing in the league and had some starts for the Eagles this year would suggest that we could have done worse. I would say with confidence that Mark Sanchez is a much better professional football player than Gholsten ever was.

Unlike Gholsten, Mark Sanchez was the face of our franchise. Even when he played badly and turned the ball over we couldn't bench him because it would mean not only shattering his confidence but giving up on the playoffs for that year. We even made the same commitment to Geno Smith (taken in round two) giving him chance after chance only to see him throw yet another pick six.

Taking these quarterbacks not only meant throwing away a draft pick that could have filled another hole but also meant passing up Alex Smith, Teddy Bridgewater, and maybe even Peyton Manning because we had our guy and were not willing to throw away that investment and make a big commitment of cap space and or draft picks on another QB.

I understand that the upside of taking a risk could be a franchise QB but I am not sure the Mariota crowd truly appreciates just how bad the downside risk is. After waiting 45 years for a Superbowl win, throwing away five more years on that bet seems very costly to me.

17. ccraveiro21

ccraveiro21 Member

I personally like mariota and was actually mad at the thought he might be out of reach earlier on in the process. Now there is a possibility he will be there at our pick. IMO i would be ok with taking him, however, if cleveland is offering us both of its first rounders and maybe even a day 2 pick also i think we absolutely have to take it. having possibly 4 picks in the first two rounds or 5 in the first 3 is incredibly enticing as far as rebuilding our team. Imagine after the free agency in which we are literally forced to make a big splash in, we have 4 picks in the first two rounds... that is a MAJOR transformation to our roster, not to mention the fact that Shaq evans, mcdougle, milliner, and even dozier(basically redshirted) will all be in a position to contribute, or atleast compete. Although we are missing out on mariota, we are giving geno one final year to show us what he has, which many people are pessimistic about, but he is not a 100% bust just yet. I dont know about you all, but i still am lightyears more comfortable with the ball in his hands than i ever was with sanchez. Gailey bringing the spread is also a great opportunity for him to grow and revert back to his roots in college where he frankly dominated. Lastly, we know there is atleast 3 highly touted QBs in next years class, Cook, Hackenberg, and 12 gauge. We would be better served creating a much better supporting cast for one of those players(if geno fails) then thrusting mariota into the shit show we have now. Not to mention the fact that we will be forced to have a big free agency period next year as well, unless we really blow the top off this year. That is a huge transformation in just a couple of years, and now we actually have a GM with personnel experience to hopefully produce on the added picks. Like I said, I would not be mad if we picked mariota, I would be excited, but weighing the options out leads me to think we should look for a trade, particularly with the browns if given the opportunity. Should be noted the browns have been open that they are making plans to get a starter, and given this years FA class its basically guaranteed its through the draft. Mariota is being trained by their soon to be QB coach

18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

You know what.. Neither Winston nor Mariota will be there when we pick. So please stop fighting and killing each other. They are going 1 and 2. Peace and stay warm.

#358 Brook!, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    almbleamal likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The majority of lemmings run over the edge of a cliff to their doom. Are you a lemming? Just because a munch of misguided guys on fan board think it's the right thing to do, doesn't make it right.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Man, you really need to take a logic course. You logic/reasoning is so full of holes. At least with Mariota, there's a chance that in the foreseeable future the Jets will have a shot at a Lombardi Trophy. Without him, we have NO shot (unless we get Winston). It doesn't matter how good the rest of the team is. When your QB sucks, you're going nowhere. Conversely, as we have seen with the Colts with first Manning and now Luck, if you have a very good QB, he can carry a lousy team a long way.

MikeSLTJ23 likes this.