If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

:D

_

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Who said anything about taking him to sell tickets? I agree that would be stupid. He has the potential to be VERY good. Who knows when the Jets will be in a position to get a VERY good QB prospect without having to give up the ranch to move up? Unless they think he will bust or be yet another jag at the QB position, they HAVE to take him if he's there. They probably pretty much believe or know that Geno isn't the answer, and that they will never build a consistent winner if they don't get a quality QB. You simply can't pass up opportunities to get a quality QB. Aside from playing in an offensive system that has not been used much in the NFL, the kid has all the intangibles, the football IQ, the athleticism, and talent you could want or expect in a QB prospect. Is he Luck or Peyton? No, but he doesn't have to be. If he can just be somewhere between Alex Smith and Steve Young, that will be plenty good enough for the Jets to have a real chance to get to and win a SB.

3. NCJetsfan

I think you need to give up on the bolded portion of your first paragraph. That's a Rex fantasy and is not going to happen in today's NFL, or at least the odds of it happening are astronomical.

Sure things at the QB position only come around occasionally. When they do, if you weren't bad enough to be drafting #1 or #2, you're SOL unless you're willing to give up the ranch to move up, and even then the other team often chooses to stay put and take the QB because they know a great QB can carry a team. What the hell are the Jets supposed to do in the meantime? That's the thing that you guys advocating not taking Mariota or who gripe about the frequent regime changes aren't taking into consideration. If the Jets don't get a quality QB, they will never build a consistent winner, and if Mac and Bowles haven't found a QB within 2-3 years, they probably will be gone, and we'll be starting over yet again. There is no QB who will be in the 2016 or 2017 draft who will have had the collegiate career that either Mariota or Winston have had. They may have had a one year flash in the pan season that shoots them up the draft boards, but they won't have had the consistent success that those two have. Those two QBs are the Jets' best chances of finding a quality QB any time soon. Ignoring or disputing that is just nonsense and not dealing with reality.

#323 NCJetsfan, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    hwismer likes this.
  4. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

If they aren't going to sit him for at least a full season, I wouldn't even draft him.

5. JStokes

+1

+2

+3

+1000

_

6. NCJetsfan

I basically agree, but what if he comes to TC and immediately demonstrates that he can stand in the pocket with poise, go through his progressions, and run the offense with ease? I don't think that would happen, but what if it did? Would you still insist on his sitting for a year?

7. jcass10

Of course not. If he came to camp and he was Peyton Manning lite, than I'd be ok with him playing. He has exhibited none of those things yet (not to say he cant).

8. JStokes

Fixed it for you :D

_

9. jcass10

Same thing, but you definitely have the more specific view.

10. JStokes

Yeah, no you did add that caveat.. That was for the folks ASSUMING he can't do it because he has never been asked to do it.

I suspect since the championship game he's been working 6 days a week on taking snaps from center and working on 3-5-7 step drops. It won't be until live action till we see whether he can stand in the pocket without taking off too soon.

But I think he'll have a handle on the fundamentals. I'd imagine it's something he's probably worked on over the past 2 offseasons as well. These guys are very well coached up.

_

11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

All well and good, but the jury's still out on that one. RGIII was the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, leading a 5-11 team to a 10-6 record and into playoffs. Haloti Ngata nailed RGIII on the knee and from there the Redskins played it all wrong by having RGIII as the starter in their playoff game vs. the 1-year removed from a SB win Seahawks when it was obvious Griffith wasn't even cleared by Dr. James Andrews and was obviously in no condition to play. Darrell "Meat on the Hoof" Royal couldn't have played it more irresponsibly (and callously) himself.

While the Redskins from there haven't done squat (thanks to their mishandling their star-in-the-making rookie QB), the Rams even with all their 'D' draft picks and Jeff Fisher as coach haven't done squat either going from 7-9 to 6-10. Why? Like the Jets and a number of others, instability at the QB position. "Can't miss" at QB comes along how many times? Brees, Brady, Rogers.....none of 'em can't miss. Whatever, with nothing more than a middling QB, there's no real chance of winning anything beyond the Snoopy Bowl and maybe an occassional 9-7 season. I'm not saying that they should force their hand and take a QB for the sake of a QB when the draft shows no legit prospect but that's not the case here. Outside of Mariota and Winston I wouldn't want anyone else, but while the Jets are high up at #6 with a chance to pull the trigger and land one of them, shoot the works imho and go for the special body-of-work prospect.

12. jcass10

If he hasn't been, he's automatically off my board lol. I agree though, he is absolutely working on his footwork and learning how to step into the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield.

It's nice that by all accounts he is an extremely hard worker and he seems to have a solid football IQ. It makes me believe that in time he could start in this league. If he isn't able to become an NFL QB, it wont be a mental thing. That is an extremely encouraging to me.

13. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

What do you mean it's not going to happen in today's NFL? That's exactly what Seattle has in Russell Wilson to a large degree.

Br4d likes this.
  14. JStokes

Very well said. I'm not a huge fan of RG3 but he could still be a very good QB in this league.

The Rams will be nothing until THEY get a franchise QB who can stay on the field.

Those extra picks are not making them perennial contenders.

_

15. Demosthenes9

I think it's a mixed bag. Having a "Franchise QB" on a team that sucks gets you no where. The Rams are better positioned in the long run if they can find a good QB.

16. JStokes

Wrong way to build a team. If you have a shot at a franchise QB you don't trade out to gather more picks to put talent around a QB you HOPE you can luck into in the future.

It's really hard to build a perennial contender if your plan includes "if they can find a good QB".

_

hwismer likes this.
  17. Demosthenes9

Depends on definitions. If my team sucked and Elway, Marino or Andrew Luck was available, sure, grab him immediately and try to build around him. Mariota ? Not even close in my estimation. Let's say for sake of argument that RG3 turned out to be a great QB. Where would that put Washington ? The rest of the team basically sucks. They would have to plug a lot of holes which is difficult to do when you don't have high draft picks (due to trading up for RG3) and there's a salary cap. The Rams on the other hand have built a solid team. They can now trade up to draft a QB they believe in. Or make a trade with another team. Or sign a good FA QB if one becomes available.

James Hasty likes this.
  18. JStokes

Well, you were wrong about Tebow and you're wrong now.

You build around a franchise QB when you get lucky enough to grab one. You don't pass one up in the hopes of building the solid team around a future hope. But sure, it's always easy to sign a good FA QB because they always become available. And teams are always willing to trade good QBs. Or when you have that solid yet QB-deficient team that goes 8-8 or 7-9 and you're drafting 16, trading into the 1 or 2 spot is really cheap.

Good plan.

I notice you went the root of the Luck, Elway Marino red herring. Well done.

_

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

This kid must be something!

[​IMG]

20. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Trade with cleveland for 12 and 19 and get a WR like DGB or White, and take Marcus Peters