If Jets Win the Toss Should They Defer?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jan 14, 2010.

?

Should the Jets defer if they win the toss?

1. Yes

68 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. No

48 vote(s)
    41.4%
  1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

yes they should

2. Colintes

Colintes New Member

where's the I like beer option. Who care's about the toss. They kick off we drive and score, we kick off we stuff em make rivers look like a fool and we score first.... As i said, i like beer.

3. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

in this game saying who cares about the toss is = to say who cares about momentum i like beer

great post

4. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I have to agree with this. If you were to take the percentage of times that our D stops the opposing O on their first drive as opposed to the percentage of times that we drive for a score on our opening drive - I don't know the exact numbers - but I'm willing to bet our D would have a big edge there.

If the offense were to come out and sputter right off the bat we could put ourselves in a very vulnerable position - especially considering the shaky punting situation....

5. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I've always been a fan of deferring. We have a damn good defense, and I think it could be a higher scoring game than people think. Their weapons are tall, and I think they might break a big play or two on us, but I think that we'll be able to move the ball on them as well, both on the ground and then in the play action game.

Give me the ball to start the 3rd quarter and make a 2nd half statement, which is more important than a 1st half statement. Both are huge though.

6. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the weather. If it's raining and windy, Take the wind, Kick-off, get the short field and force SD to play catch up all game long.

7. TD_Sandy_Eggo

TD_Sandy_Eggo New Member

If you want to give us the ball, we'll take it.

8. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i wasn't aware you would have a choice

9. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Love your Avatar-

10. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If we are looking at it that way we have no chance of winning

11. Colintes

Colintes New Member

A 3 and out can give us more momentum then winning a damn toss. I always prefer to start with it in the 2nd half anyway. regardless, i don't think the toss is going to have much affect on the final result. I like beer.

12. richnle

richnle New Member

Defer and blitz!

13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I don't see how "we have to score" translates to losing?

14. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

No, this is the time you do not defer. You get the ball and you run it down their throats and set the tone. Even if you stall at mid field you flop field position.

15. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

defer, defer, defer.

this is a running team. as a running team, we are built to bleed the clock. assuming we can get the lead sometime in the second half, the key to victory is to take a ton of time off the clock and limit the number of possessions.

now say we have a 10-7 lead at half-time. the first possession in the second half is absolutely key. a successful drive here and you bury them. 8 minutes, 7 points, 10 point lead with the best defense in the league. even if they answer back with a score, you're already in the 4th quarter by the time they get the ball back to try to tie or catch up. and that plays right into our strengths.

even if we're trailing 13-10 at the half, we're in a good position. an 8-minute drive and 7 points to start puts this in a great situation. even if they score a fg, we're still up and it's the 4th quarter by the time they get the ball back. we put the onus on the defense and that's not a bad thing for this team.

lastly, if we're trailing by a lot at the half, say 17-0, we at least have a fighting chance. a TD to start and a defensive stop puts us in position to do something late.

in each scenario, we're much better off getting the ball to start the second half. it does put more pressure on the defense in the first half, but that, too is better. they'll be rusty from 3 weeks of no game action. we can get an easy 3-and-out to start the game. that's ideal since we'll have decent field position to start.

16. SydneyDon

SydneyDon 2008/2009 TGG The Green Card "International Poster

I'm confused.

Most want to defer. I can see the reasoning but why does everyone then seem to get excited when the half ends if the Jets get the ball to start the second half?
    I see it in the game thread all the time.

17. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Why do we get excited when we're going to get the ball with a chance to score?:breakdance: I think that's pretty obvious.

At that point the game has already had an ebb and flow to it, and the Jets getting the ball is certainly a plus, especially considering we run the ball better in the 2nd half.

18. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

You want your best unit on the field to begin the game. Shutting them down early gets them thinking...which leads to overthinking. Obviously, if we could receive the ball at the beginning of both halves, I'd take that option. Regarding the current setup, however, you have to choose one or the other. The best course of action is to put your best unit on the field first, and your offense on the field to start the second half. The offense always has a higher chance of scoring, so that is why people get excited over knowing we get the ball.

19. SydneyDon

OK, I see that. To me, and I'm really coming from a different sporting perspective, you'd want to try and score points from the opening whistle. I'm trying to understand your ways but logic is getting in the way. More points wins.

Is there a stat, taken over a large sample (like every game in the last 40 years) that shows the winning % of teams that get the ball first?

20. SydneyDon

I understand the excitement at getting the ball to start the second half. What I don't really get is the willingness to give the ball up at the start of the game. It looks like a defensive move, shows a lack of faith in your offense. Worst case scenario is you punt it away and then you are really at the same position as if you deferred (assuming you have decent field position)
    Best case is 7 points, time off the clock and then a chance to unleash the defense.