Idzik taken to school by the Rams

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rajensen088, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Kind of impressed raj is still on his A game notwithstanding the 5 year layoff.

2. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Frigging love how not a single player has taken the field yet people have been quote on quote "Taken to school".

God I love the pessimists/skeptics. Its one thing to have concerns or worry about something, its another to just attack a move because of past "history"(Even though our GM has had nothing to do with any of this bad history lately)

3. foreboding

foreboding Member

The Jets may have wanted Austin, but I think you all will be glad you did not waste the pic on him.

4. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

The only reason I don't think this was a smokescreen is because the jets didn't release it. It came from the player. Rex told Coples last year if he was on the board the jets would take him. Unfortunately Austin couldn't keep his mouth shut like Coples did. Whether we were interested at 9 is unknown, but if I were to look at the draft we did I would say plan A was Austin at 9 and Cooper at thirteen, qb in the second, considering how we went balls out on guards later in the draft.

That's just a guess but I'm fine with the incredible value we got with our picks. Millner was slotted to go in the top six the entire draft process, and we obviously coveted Richardson, who will open up so much for our defense.
    Geno at 39 is great value a second round pick for a top 9 player.

Whether we got exactly who we wanted or not is not important your very rarely going to have top player at biggest need fall to you. We played the board great and got great value throughout the whole draft.

5. Mr. Green Pants

I agree, he could be a very special first round kick returner. :)

6. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I won't say the Rams schooled the Jets....Apples and oranges.
    The Rams have their QB and needed weapons for him.
    The Rams had an plethora of picks they could use to move up and still have a 2nd first round pick. The Jets had 8 picks, no set QB, and a LOT of roster holes, they couldn't afford to give up picks by moving up thinking that the Rams might move ahead of them. It wasn't an option.

But I will say this, if Rex did tell the player if he's on the board they'll take him then Rex is an idiot...never tip your hand cause odds are that player will likely tell at least his friends and word will spread....aka if you reallly want a player and your not drafting first, keep your damned mouth shut.

7. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

The Bills:

(1) Got an extra 2nd round pick (in the top 15)
    (2) An extra 7th round pick (we didnt have one)
    (3) Took a player they would have taken anyway, the best QB in the draft, their franchise guy; and
    (4) Helped screw a division rival in the process

But yeah, Buffalo was really taken to school on that trade :)

8. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

I don't disagree with you, but last year before the draft Coples was all over NFL radio telling the world that Rex said they would take him with the pick if he was there. Then the next day he went BACK on and said that he was glad Rex was a man of his word :)

9. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

How do we know that the Jets wanted Austin? Maybe the Jets made that up and floated that info. in order to fake out other teams to make them make bad trades and not pick the players that the Jets actually wanted. If so, it worked. We'll never know b/c it seems that Idzik has instilled discipline upon this organization and leaks are a thing of the past.

Evidence supporting this: they didn't draft ANY wide receivers. It seems they want to build a strong O-line first.

10. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Let me tell you something...first off..I totally agree with this.

If the Jets had drafted that kid...many would have blasted it including the media. Only a team with a rep for the passing game could get away with drafting a 174 lb 5'8" receiver.

I mean..are some of you guys serious? You think this is a guy you that can carry your team?

I dont care if he puts up 20 yards a catch with 3 kick returns...drafting a guy in the NLF of that size for a top ten pick and Idzick would be buried this time next year. Buried.

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

it is pretty f'ing stupid to say the Bills got schooled in this trade. they got an extra pick and the player they wanted anyways. whether anyone thinks they could have gotten that player later is an critique of the player choice and irrelevant to the trade itself.

12. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

you can not fix the mess tannybum left in only one year.

it will take two or three years . the long-term plan will end up serving the fans better over the long haul than a quick fix. haven't you had enough of short term bloated contracts with overpaid players and salary cap messes? :sad:

13. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

you mean like trading for rob johnson, or giving bellicheat a first round pick for bledsoe?

14. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

You think Les Snead sat around all offseason thinking "man I can't wait to see who the Jets want so I can stick it to them!".

C'mon, have some common sense. Even if they wanted to see how far up to move to get Austin, you really think it took him saying Rex had a plan for him to have the light go on in the Rams war room?

Even if they snaked the jets on their pick, they had to give up picks to do so, so they lose.

And as I mentioned on another board, I see Austin being another Dexter McCluster type player. Everyone loves to say how they are " great in space". Guess what? In the NFL there is no fucking space unless you are fielding a kick or getting a pass behind the line of scrimmage. Dlinemen can run you down as you wait for a hole, and LBs/ S are going to close on you in a flash. And at 200+ pounds of speed and violence taking you down, you better become very good at getting separation through good route running and have good hands or you become one dimensional and useless. As an X receiver he will get swallowed up by a safety over the top.

Bottom line, the rams wasted picks to take a flyer on a boom or bust player too early, and the jets did not get schooled in the process. In fact, the rams may have run a long way to jump ona grenade for them.

15. endydee

endydee Active Member

Actually mr nyjet, I think skeleton_frames, was being sarcastic.

16. louissockalexis

louissockalexis New Member

If the Jets plan was to take Austin at 9 and Geno at 13, then things worked out very well for them because they wound up with two outstanding defensive prospects and were still able to grab Geno later on.

The Rams made a good trade but Buffalo still reached for Manuel. I actually like Manuel, and he's got the arm to play in Buffalo, but he wasn't worth a mid-first round pick.

All that said, the Jets really should be more secretive during the draft process.

17. Jet Pac

Jet Pac New Member

I don't get how he was "taken to school" by the Rams.

It was clear the Rams were interested in moving ahead of the Jets to grab him. If the Jets really wanted Austin, they could have moved up to get him.

18. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

you are right... idzik screwed us... no way he will be able to get a playmaking WR with the 40-50 million in cap room and top 15 pick in the draft next season

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Maybe the Rams were looking their own Santana Moss..

20. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Bills had a terrible draft they essentially threw away their 1st and 2nd round pick by taking EJ Manuel 16th overall. He's decidedly average at everything except looking the part of a QB.

You guys could have had Manuel in the 2nd or maybe the third the way this draft played out.

The Jets planned on taking Austin with their 13th pick not the 9th,the 9th was always for Milliner, so no you did not screw the Jets at all as the Jets weren't taking him 9th anyway.