Ian Rapoport : David Garrard No Longer a Jet?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DMarsh6, May 15, 2013.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

This really sucks.

I was getting ready to start a "Garrard just sucks... just sucks..." thread.

It would have caused arguments, fights & name-calling.
    It would separate the average fan from the enlightened.
    It would waste untold amounts of time and server space.

It was to be epic.

2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I don't understand what's the upside in cutting Sanchez. Jets already paying him, there needs to be 3 QBs. Let them compete. Whoever wins will start.
    MS starts -- hope he does well so there will be some trading value in him. If he plays like he did last year, there is a real QB waiting, not TT. Sanchez is out 2nd is in.

And for the record, I think Smith should sit out for some time. Not to learn from Sanchez, there is nothing to learn from him, especially with new O system. Geno needs to get adjusted to NFL level and its better to do by first watching. I expect Sanchez or Mac start and Smith get in after bye.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I don't know if you guys would agree on this, but to me starting Geno this year would prove to be a mistake and probably kill his chances to succeed. That might be the only thing he can learn from Sanchez.
    Given that, we can only hope and pray that Sanchez comes prepared to lead us to a good enough season to keep Geno on the bench and let him mature or we might get caugh between a rock and a hard spot and end up with two QB casualties. That would signify pissing away another season and starting from scratch in 2014.
    Like Sanchez or not, it might turn out to be our one and only shot for 2013.

4. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I don't know why people are hesitant to start Geno all of a sudden? He's started in college all four years, while doing a good to very good job in all four of them. He is NOTHING like Sanchez. Nothing.

We got him a good O-line. We got him some good running backs. That puts the pressure off of him. Let him start. Let him get 4 wins in the murder schedule to get him some confidence. Once that is done, he'll roll through the latter half and give us a playoff berth.

There is nothing to be afraid of to start him. Nothing. Starting Geno makes sense to EVERYONE involved in the organization except Sanchez. We can get Charlie Batch off the street and have depth at QB without worrying about Sanchez. Let's move on from the Sanchez Error once and for all.

5. BigJenks

BigJenks Active Member

Hopefully Sanchez pulls an Alex Smith and Geno pulls a Kaepernick and we can get some mid to late round pick for Sanchez.

6. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Geno Smith is a dink and dunk screen passer who is going to struggle against NFL defenses as a rookie -- he will be a disaster this season as a starter and it will be bad for everyone involved from the GM down. The Jets don't have the screen pass options on the outside that WV had. He doesn't get the ball downfield very accurately and teams will crowd the line of scrimmage making everything more difficult for him. Sanchez is going to outplay Smith in the pre-season and will win the job outright.

If he struggles during the season you will see Smith, but Sanchez is going to be the best option come September.

7. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

Start McElroy.
    Let's once and for all see what we have in him.
    At least he realizes taking sacks (which hopefully gets sorted with the new OL) is better than throwing into triple coverage.

Worst case scenario, start Nacho and get further proof he won't be an essential part of this team.

And when the time is right, MM will know when, enter the new era with #7 at the wheels.

8. ArmandJ

If Geno is our franchise quarterback, he'll make it work.

Sanchez couldn't outplay a fucking 3rd stringer 7th round pick. What makes you think he's going to outplay Geno?

You honestly think a quarterback who threw for one touchdown in his last 4 starts is going to beat out Geno? You're insane.

#128 ArmandJ, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I feel bad for Garrard, but also find it funny all of the typical Jets fans, who thought he should start. As nyjunc said, this is good for Sanchez. He will almost 100% win the job now, as he should. I don't think Garrard was real competition, but he was a roster spot that Sanchez could have lost. Again, I feel bad for David, but he really would not have done much to benefit the Jets franchise by being on the roster.

10. 518

518 Member

As much as I routed for Mark.... You are absolutely correct. Give Geno the reps and lets go. No more controversy. Just start him.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Geno throws a great deep ball with accuracy and has plenty of arm strength. The Jets also have a new offensive coordinator and the offense will be completely different than last year. He may struggle as a rookie against NFL defenses like many rookies do but it won't be because he isn't able to or is unwilling to hit the deep ball.

I'm surprised to hear you say he doesn't get the ball downfield accurately. Watch some Smith highlights or games on youtube and read some predraft scouting reports. Downfield passing is a strength of his.

12. ArmandJ

In his last 7 games, Sanchez has thrown for 3 touchdowns. This includes a garbage time touchdown against the Patriots.

Geno Smith should be able to beat that ass twice on Sundays to become quarterback. Bring in a vet not named Leftwich, Russell, or Young and let's go.

13. The Dark Knight

Using the end of 2012 to describe Sanchez, is foolish. Also, Sanchez did outplay McElroy even when Sanchez was terrible. The Chargers game proved how bad the O-line was and how Sanchez could deal with it, but McElroy could not.

14. ArmandJ

Why can't I use it? It's the most recent sample we have of him and it applies directly to why we are in this situation now?

Yeah, Sanchez outplayed McElroy SO much that he threw 3 interceptions, 99 yards, and led the team to ZERO points!!!!!! Somehow, McElroy came in and screwed things up by scoring a touchdown to win the game!!!

McElroy had his first start, I'll cut him the slack. He led the team to 17 points there. Better than what Sanchez did recently.

I'll stop here though, because I don't want to devolve this into another Sanchez thread.

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yes, sacks will get sorted out for a guy that cant decide where to with the ball,with 2 new guards, and a second year RT.

That observation, is barely smarter than starting Everett McIver, against Bruce Smith.

16. The Dark Knight

Yeah, good call. This is about Garrard retiring. However, that changes the QB race, so it is part of the conversation. I would agree with you if Sparano was still OC, but with a new offense, you can hope for a better Sanchez. (Can't get worse)

17. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

All I know is they should sign SOMEBODY to replace Garrard. Who's left in FA?

They don't have to be stellar, they just have to be hungry and able to hold their own in our offense till Geno's ready.

Sanchez can't be handed the job under any circumstances, and he shouldn't have only a talented rookie the team might be hesitant to put out too early and two career backups to compete with.

Give me somebody, anybody that can compete well and maybe teach a thing or two to our rookie.

Can Fitzpatrick come aboard? He's not great at all, but he's available, he is experienced, I'm sure he can at least TRY to get the job and be a stable stop gap if Sanchez screws the pooch. hows he for this offense?

god help me I almost wish you know who was still here as a camp body.

18. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Sanchez dealt with it by throwing INT's before he got sacked, McElroy dealt with it by eating the ball and living to fight another day.

19. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

Why does everyone dismiss McElroy as a viable option so quickly? I understand he has a Pennington type arm and his start last season was pretty bad, but it was his first start ever. He's supposed to be extremely intelligent. Doesn't he deserve at least ONE more chance? I mean, if he's that bad why was/is he even on the roster?

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

No, it isnt. Unless you just took up the sport.

The last realistic example, is opening day of 2012, before the injury bug swooped in.

The only decent full season example, is 2011.

They went 8-8, missed the playoffs, despite his marginal increase in completion pct. and putting up 32 scores, 26 through the air.

And since youre big on the example thing.,,try this one.

Jets offense. 25th overall.

Jets Red Zone offense, with a real cioach..2nd in the NFL.

Same QB same offense, two coaches, two results. And lets face it....its far tougher to operate in the red zone, because of compression alone.

Its pretty clear what the problem has been.