Ian Rapoport : David Garrard No Longer a Jet?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DMarsh6, May 15, 2013.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

The guy scored 32 times, with a shit OC in 2011.

He only needs a decent coach.

2. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Smith or Sanchez?

Smith excelled with 2 NFL caliber WRs in a screen happy run after the catch offense. Played up tempo gimmick style like Oregon and when faced with smash mouth football with aggressive defenses he was below average.

3. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Those big moments were two years ago. Since then, he's folded down the stretch including some TERRIBLE games last year. He's done. Finito. He will not do well. He will be booed out of the stadium. Terrible. I am honestly shocked that you are defending him.

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

But he played worse in 2012 than he did in 2011, so the so called "shit coach" should get more credit.

He scored "32 times" but turned the ball over 24 times. He needs to work on his decision making, and stop turning the ball over so much. Oddly enough the turnovers wouldn't be that big of an issue if he was able to put up points. He needs more than a good coach.

5. The 1985er

I'm talking about Sanchez. You talk about the offense he ran in college like it's a bad thing, if the Jets plan to run the WCO then having a QB that has experience throwing those screen passes would benefit Geno. We have two small shifty receivers in Holmes and Kerley similar to what he had in Stedman and Austin at WV. So the personel is there. I believe he will succeed here.

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

You are kind of missing the point,
    2012, was an an organizational pooch screw.

2011, controlled experiment,

One coach Red Zone.
    One coach 80 yards.
    2nd
    25th, (with help from the Raz offense)

And.,, the defense co,lapsed in 4 games on an 8-8 season, but isnt the great defense the reason Sanchez was successful.

Did he allow Matt Moore a 12 minute drive with 6 third down conversions?

Did Sancjez miss contain to culminate a 98 yard deive by tebow.

Thats 10 wins. And ..we wouldnt be having this convesation.

7. The 1985er

Those loses were team losses.

In the Denver game if Sanchez doesn't throw that pick 6. That late Tebow drive would be meaningless. I was disappointed that the defense gave up that score but still.

Sanchez threw ints to dlinemen in that game against the Dolphins. Plus the defense held them and gave the offense plenty of opportunities to score.

8. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

With Re: to David Garrard,
    Thinking that Mark Sanchez will now be the Jets best starting option is insane. For so many reasons Mark's time here in NY is done. The fan revolt and boos that will rain down on this team when he throws that first interception at home in the red zone, will start 2013 decline. So if fans are interested in a very high draft pick in 2014 and a miserable 2013 season, Mark is your man. Teams now know just how to beat Mark and make him the QB you have seen for the last two years.

9. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Why are people against Geno getting the nod week 1? Ryan Tannehill heading into last year at this time was considered not fully ready(Its arguable that Smith was more polished given the amount of games he had vs Tannehill in college) and many expected Matt Moore(Who right now is the better QB than Sanchez sadly) to win that job or ironically, David Garrard before he got hurt.

Tannehill went onto have a nice rookie campaign.

10. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

In re: to Gerrard,
    I cannot speak for starting McElroy and like any other player, he will have to earn it by beating out the competition.
    Yet, many who chose to dismiss him out of hand are doing a disservice to this franchise. Just a few points, no he does not have the strongest arm, yet, he does have a few assets as well. First and foremost GMac is a very smart QB, second is, MM system plays right into GMac's strengths quick reads and quick throws underneath. I would also remind you that some very good QB's who many didn't think much of, have excelled in this system. A name comes to mind, Montana, who our new OC just so happen to have a chance to work
    with. Now I am not saying GMac is in the same class as Montana, but this kid did lead his team to a National college championship. So to just dismiss him at this point is not to smart. Yet, as I said at the beginning like every other player on the team he has earn the job.

11. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

Re David Gerrard,
    Just want to add to my last two posts about this issue.

Having express my views on Mark and GMac, I really believe that we should try to allow Geno to sit as long as possible and not throw him to the wolves.

So can our new GM wheel and deal on the fly and get a replacement for our veteran QB? We really need a viable option to replace Garrard and not some retread who really cannot lead this team. Guys like Batch, while making a good QB coach, will not make a good starter now. We need a QB who can push our younger kids Smith & McElroy and lead this team should be beat them out to start.
    The best case would be a Vet who has played in MM system and knows the playbook already. A QB who gives the Jets an honest shot at winning games thru out the 2013 season. If we have to give up a third or four round pick to acquire that vet, it will suck, but "stuff" happens and it needs to be corrected To get anything less than a solid guy who fits out needs would be a waste of a roster space. The last thing we need is another Brunell wasting space on the roster and not helping the team. Get it done Idzik and prove us your the GM we all hope you would be!!!!!

12. Geno

Geno Member

Greg Mcelroy will beat out Sanchez. Why do people think it's a done deal between Geno and Mark? Has Mark proven he is better than a legitimate backup QB? No

13. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Hate it for Garrard, wish it was Sanchez.

14. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Yep...

Can't believe VY is still available and Brady Quinn has a job.

15. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Might as well give it a whirl... but it will be baptism by fire. Sanchez looked so bad the last year that I'm sure the Jets are considering it. Rex has a thing for Sanchez though, so I doubt they'd bench him.

16. BleedingGangGreen

Would've (possibly) created for a decent backup but it's simply mind boggling how any Jet fan would call for a 35 year old quarterback in Garrard to start despite the fact that he's not only 35 years old has also completely missed two previous seasons due to injury...

A 35 year old who's missed the previous two NFL seasons? As a starting quarterback for our Jets? No thank you.

It's Geno Smith time and rightfully so. This isn't a Mark Sanchez situation of 2009. Sanchez was as raw/undeveloped as they come as a rookie back in 09. Sanchez only had one year of college starting experience during his time with USC while heading into his rookie season as a Jet. This isn't the case with Geno. Geno's a rookie but he's a rookie with 4 years of experience along with 3 years of college experience as a full time starter. He's a lot more developed coming out when compared to Sanchez.

With a top notch defense we can make the playoffs with a rookie in Geno under center. A strong running game with young backs, a top notch defense being led by coach Ryan along with a rookie QB in which can manage the game. We'll compete.

#196 BleedingGangGreen, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
  17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Unreal. This team can't get a break. There's no way to spin this as a positive unless you're just living in denial. We could've really used Garrard's veteran leadership and presence on the field to give Geno time to learn and develop.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

McElroy is not a starting QB, in this league. Time to put that fantasy to rest. No way does he best Sanchez or Geno, he didn't come close last year.

Hopefully Geno and Sanchez really compete. Like a heated mono y mono battle. I anticipate a very competitive TC. Which will make both better, it's possible Geno gets the nod. Should be interesting.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Just hitting a player out of the backfield doesn't qualify as a screen pass.

I think I have seen Mark Sanchez execute three or four screen passes well in his entire career. He has always struggled at timing them well, selling the play, and executing the pass correctly.

Screens have always been a glaring weakness of his.

20. Geno

Geno Member

This is a disaster. So your telling me if the rookie cant get up to speed we are forced to start Sanchez again without a veteran QB to compete with him?