Ian O'Connor: "Weak Woody bamboozled by Rex"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jan 9, 2013.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

have you noticed how the teams with consistency at the coaching position are (save arguably for Houston) also all teams that have top tier quarterbacks - whereas all the teams with high turnover rates have not had top tier QBs - why its almost as though a coaches tenure is linked directly to the success of the team and the success of the team is largely driven by whether or not you have a top QB!!

top QB = success = everyone assumes you must be a top coach

get the Jets (somehow!!!) a decent QB and all this nonsense goes away.

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Dude.. Arians got outcoached in that game hands down, the Colts had more talent and we blew them out of the water that game.

Colts also benefited from a very easy schedule this year, which makes a lot of sense considering they only won two games last year.

Arians has had success with all three teams he has been an OC for, that doesn't mean his offensive expertise is comparable to Rex's defensive expertise, it would most likely be a major downgrade if we brought in someone like Arians over Rex.

Im not exactly sure you are pushing for Arians but since you suggested that he is the hot canidate that could replace Rex...

The only way for that to be a success is if Arians came in and instantly established a Top 5-10 offense for this team since we would lose that top 10 defense year in and year out, and I don't think he would be able to do that.

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I just responded to another post where I was saying that we should bring in Arians as a high paid OC and give him complete control of the offense. Keep Rex on for another year as the HC because I agree about his defensive prowess.

4. IIMeanDeanII

That is probably true in today's NFL but that hasn't always been the case.

Jeff Fisher
    Bill Cowher
    Brian Billick
    Jon Gruden
    Marty Schottenheimer
    Mike Ditka
    John Madden

I can't recall any of them having a QB like some of these elite QB's in today's NFL. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

5. IIMeanDeanII

I appologize then, I did not take the time to go back to the initial post. My bad.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I still say the balls move is to go after Saban with a huge deal with complete control for as long as he wants it.

You just know he will eventually replace BB if we don't do it.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

BB without TB = zero.

8. Barcs

Barcs Banned

So to sum up the article.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

<insert random speculation>

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

9. IIMeanDeanII

I think Saban is one hell of a coach, no question, but I think he is only a great coach in a college capacity. I wouldn't be able to shake his stint with the Dolphins, it was a horrible run, and I know that organization was/is ran poorly but I think he even knows he needs to stay in college. That is his bread and butter.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Nonesense. He is miles brighter then Rex Ryan and for that matter most of the NFL HC and GM's. He is superbly prepared to be a great GM and HC in the NFL.

You probably wouldn't be able to shake BB stint with Cleveland. Rex isn't in Saban's league on any level.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Nick Saban is 61 years old, BB will be coaching at least another 5 years. You think Saban at 66 is going to go to NE?

I do agree Saban if his heart is in it would be a top NFL coach, I think he's the best coaoch in the sport-college or pro.

12. twown

twown Well-Known Member

"Ryan is working in the same division as Tom Brady, in the same conference as Peyton Manning, and he still has no idea how to develop a quarterback or a game plan that consistently puts points on the board?"

O'Connor has been working with the same words and letters as Shakespeare all his life, and he still has no idea how to write a great play? Shameful.

13. IIMeanDeanII

What are you talking about?

How did you draw this conclussion? What makes Saban so much brighter than, Rex? Why is he brighter or better than most of the NFL HC's and GM's?

Please enlighten me.

BB stint with the Browns wasn't all bad though, he took on a very poor team and managed to lead them to the playoffs and beat the Patriots in the playoffs. Probably would've achieved more if the team didn't relocate.

Saban never made an imprint in any capacity in the NFL, except for completely bailing on the Dolphins to head back to college. That's it, he is a college coach and I doubt he would come back to the NFL ever again.

#153 IIMeanDeanII, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  14. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Right. And any time somebody gives an example of teams that have won SBs that didn't follow the Giants/Steelers plan, all of a sudden you care about context and say those cases aren't the same. Nobody is going to be able to find a coach who lost back to back championship games followed by 8-8, 6-10, and then was fired and use that as an example to prove you wrong, presumably because it hasn't happened as far as I know. Obviously that alone makes the argument idiotic.

Of course Cowher and Coughlin weren't exact matches to what Rex Ryan has done either, but you don't care about context as it pertains to them.

Like I said, your argument is tautological, thus it has no merit.

#154 BeastBeach, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  15. nyjunc

they are pretty similar and where did someone else bring up other examples that I ignored? and who cares? there are many ways to win in this league, teams that have continiuity tend to sustain success longer than those that don't. That's my point, you and all the other average fans want new coaches the first sign of toruble. If Philbin leads Miami to 6 wins next year you'll want him gone rather than giving him a chance to develop along w/ the team. I don't give up on people until I have reasons to, Rex has done an excelletn job here overall and ther is absolutely no reason to fire him but I understand why a div rival fan would want him gone.

16. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Oh now its who cares? Who cares if teams have blown it up and then won a SB instead of sticking with the wrong guy. Who cares? Who cares??? I thought you cared about winning a SB which is the entire point.

You said sticking with a guy like Cowher was worth it even though it took 14 years for him to win 1. So why isn't it ok to do what the Saints did, bring in Sean Payton and win one within 4?

Will it just mean that much more to you if Rex Ryan and Sanchez are the ones who give you the trophy? I'm left to think that is the only possible explanation here.

17. nyjunc

what teams have blown it up then won a SB?

let's look at the last 10 champs:

2011 NYG: easily could have fired Coughlin after 2010 '08- 10 missed 2 postseasons and won zero postseason games
    2010 GB: coach was in his 5th season in GB
    2009 NO: missed playoffs '07 & '08- did they fire coach?
    2008: coach was handed a potential dynasty after Cowher retired
    2007: easily could have fired coughlin after 2006- 3 years w/ zero playoff wins
    2006: Dungy in 5th year w/ Indy after failing to win SB w/ TB
    2005: Cowher had been there since 1992, missed playoffs 3 straight years, mostly known for losing home playoff games to that point
    2004: BB's career changed when Brady stepped on the field
    2003: see 2004
    2002: this is the ONLY example and Dungy had been in TB 6 years w/ a team many thought was a SB caliber team w/o making a SB

where are all these examples of teams blowing it up then winning?

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The Jets blew it up themselves, actually Tannenshit did...20 million over the cap for 39 players meaning that doesn't include a single free agent..yeah, they can get under by cutting 4 or 5 more and then they will have exactly what to go out and hire 18-19 scrubs? Forget anything good happening for this team for years to come.

19. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Because he kept starting the guy on his arm.

20. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

Obviously, Woody has a man-crush on Rex.

[​IMG]