I would not be mad (Revis Offseason Thread)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by J_P_5, Feb 13, 2014.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The Bucs would be a circus too, but for the Jets to refuse to pay Revis, then trade to get him back, would make them even more a circus. You're wrong.

2. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a shot to get him back. Nobody will trade for a 16 mil per year corner. But if he gets cut he's never getting 16 mil again. He'd deserve 10-12.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

why would he restructure? if they cut him there won't be any shortage of suitors willing to pay him likely what the Bucs want him to restructure to. it isn't as if they are going to force him to restructure or cut him just over a million or two.

the Bucs have zero leverage to attempt that type of tactic, and Revis has been pretty consistent in his position that his interest is himself, not helping his team.

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I agree it wouldn't make the Jets look like a circus, just imbeciles for paying him the $16 million that they could have simply given him in the first place. just because they got Richardson out of the total deal wouldn't change the fact that if they were willing to pay him that amount, they should have just done so when they had him under contract and saved themselves the trouble.

teams don't trade players who are coming upon free agency simply to get a pick and then hope to get them back in a year. if the Jets wanted him and were willing to pay him he would never have been traded.

if they want Revis so much and think he is worth $16 million, why would they trade him to begin with? any fantasy that the Jets would trade for him is a fantasy based around the concept that they are complete idiots.

5. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

I don't think that it's likely, Idizik does a good job at not overpaying players and there's a good chance another team will do something stupid like the Bucs did to get him. But any reasonable observer knows that Revis is all about the money and will go to the highest bidder, and few if any teams value press-coverage man to man corners as much as we do.

I would absolutely want him back if the price was right.

6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

The bucs will be playing more man coverage than cover 2.

7. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

So would I, but the price won't be right.

8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

That's not what I was just listening to on the radio. They said that Lovie Smith will be playing a lot of zone which is why they are taking calls about trading Revis

9. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

No way Revis comes back. But for the right price, I would be glad to have him back.

10. The Waterboy

11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Touche good sir.

Idk what they're gonna run. I can't imagine they would be hearing offers for him if they were running man to man more. Obviously the price is probably making them queezy, but he's one of the best man to man corners ever.

12. The Waterboy

Lovie Smith is the one who made the comment that they will be running more man coverage. It may be a smokescreen but I see no reason for the facade if it is.
    As far as the offers, any GM that would not listen to offers should be fired on the spot. You never know when someone may drop a ridiculous offer on your lap. That being said I doubt anyone drops a ridiculous offer in addition to taking on a contract that is 60% higher than the 2nd highest paid CB's

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Revis definitely doesn't fit Lovie Smith's usual requirements at CB.

I think if the Bucs are offered a 2nd round pick before the deadline on the Jets trade they're going to take it.

Cover 2 doesn't require great man to man CB's. It isn't hurt by them but you don't need them.

14. The Waterboy

Roy Cummings had a conversation with Lovie and here is a quote, “We’re primarily going to be a man team. Whether we win or lose is going to be based on how we play man coverage.”

This would be a very strange smoke screen if they plan on staying mostly with the Tampa 2

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It could be posturing if the Bucs were really approached by other teams at the Combine. It would be making Revis seem like a very valuable chip to the Bucs to drive up the asking price for him.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Lovie has big plans for Revis in his 'cover 2' defense. Revis will 'cover 2' receivers. Why didn't Rex think of that? hahaha

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

No they wouldn't and we have the cap room this year. They would look like geniuses. They would have essentially loaned Revis out for a year (a year where he was coming back from injury) and got a free 1st round draft pick that paid off big time and only lost a 4th round pick getting back a future HOF, one of the best corners to play the game. That's a net gain. Even though I doubt any of that happens and don't think Revis is getting cut or traded, I'd LOVE to see Revis & Milliner working together. I can't think of a better mentor.

#117 Barcs, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  18. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Sanchez and Cro for Revis.

19. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

The NFL cuts players all the time and they call it "business" but Revis looking out for himself and he's "greedy" interesting perspective. I mean teams look out for themselves and no one cares. We're about to cut Holmes and possibly Sanchez and it's to the benefit of the team and no one will bat an eye about it. But Revis wants more money and doing things in his favor he's wrong? Fuck outta here.

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Throw in a couple of kicking tees so TB at least gets something of value.