I would not be mad (Revis Offseason Thread)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by J_P_5, Feb 13, 2014.

1. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

agr
    Agree 100%..............

2. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

Is he tradable? He has a non guaranteed contract. Who would want to trade and pick up a 16 million dollar contract. I assume the bucs have to seriously consider releasing him, even if to resign. Revis was a great jet, had an excellent bounce back year after major surgery but at the end of the day no corner isworth 16 mill a year. Not practical in the nfl today to pay a defensive player that much., its not even becoming practical to pay a qb that much money. Joe falcons contract forced the ravens to dump everyone they could. Going fwd it's more and more going to be quantity over quality. Revis is great, imo I'd rather have 4 good players than 1 great one.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is another very realistic viewpoint. I tend to think there will always be a team out there willing to rent Darrelle Revis for a season if the cost is low enough in draft pick compensation but I might be wrong. $16M is WAY out of line with the contribution that a CB makes.

I think this year is an interesting year in terms of the Rent-Revis proposition. The Bucs have a built-in compensation factor if they can move Revis before the 3rd day of the league year. That move would upgrade their 4th round pick to a 3rd round pick. The question is who is likely to want to add something to the pot to take Revis off the Bucs hands? If any significant value is offered the Bics will have to look at it because once the 3rd day rolls around the built-in bump evaporates.

4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Revis was a fool to sign that contract, if his level of play drops, he gets cut. If a new GM doesn't want him he gets cut. He won't last more than one more season, sorry.

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

A man to man corner in a cover 2 zone system. It will never work.

He is a complete moron. He should have not been such a bitch about money and signed a reasonable extension with us. Why he had to go out and demand an ungodly amount is beyond me. He could have retired in green and white playing under Rex, a guy that made him a dominant corner in this league.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think it is that cut and dried. I originally expected the contract to turn into 2 years and $32M for Revis before the Bucs cut and run and he had to do something else. Having the FO and CS wiped out last year changed the equation considerably. That's the only reason anybody is suggesting Revis might be moved this year. With the exception of the owners all his stakeholders got removed from the conversation.

Thinking about it some more I think the Bucs are going to be in a similar position with Revis this year as the Jets were last year. They're going to be trying to move him for value with very few bidders in the process. The reason there won't be a lot of bidders is that very few teams will be willing to pay Revis $16M and so the price that the Bucs offer him at will be almost a non-factor for most teams. If you're not going to pay a CB $16M then it doesn't matter if he's being offered for a 2nd, 4th or 6th round pick, he's not in your budget range and so you're not interested.

I expect a few teams will be interested in exploring the proposition, however I think the Bucs will ultimately wind up with only one or two serious suitors for Revis. $16M is a lot to fit under the cap and that's how the hit looks under the current contract. If Revis tries to restructure the contract to facilitate a trade I expect he will be unhappy with the restructures teams are willing to do at this point.

So the Bucs are going to have the choice of trading him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick or keeping him for another year at the current salary. I'm leaning towards he's going to play for the Bucs this season. The owners were stakeholders in the deal that brought him over and I think they will not want to cut and run after one year unless the Bucs get a better offer for Revis than they are likely to get under the circumstances.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

how many years would he have had to sign to get $32 million in guaranteed money from another team? five? six? and with that would the additional annual salary really been significant? of course not.

with this deal he gets $32 million in two years. and if he is cut, who cares, he can sign that 6 years, $30 million guaranteed contract the next time. and now he has $60 million guaranteed over 8 years -- an amount he could not possibly have gotten any other way.

Revis likely never intended this to be a long term deal. all he has to do is play on this deal for two years and he is ahead of the game. and if by some long shot the Bucs keep him for three -- holy shit, that's $48 million for three years, gone after that with the ability to sign one more deal and make another $25-30 million over it.

this was a hell of a deal for Revis the money grabber.

8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Hell of a deal if he can hold up short term, wont be hell of a deal if he tears his ACL again and cant walk the rest of his life. Ill give him this though, hes making a lot more than any of us will make in any 2 year span in our lives.

9. JetBlue

even long term this is a good deal because he is making long term money in a short amount of time. if he stays at the top of his game he will make even more. the ACL really isn't a concern.

10. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Well the contract was still a risk, dont ya think he could have gotten say 14 million a year for 5 years with 8 million guarentted each year?

He would have made 28 million in 2 years with 24 million more still Guaranteed + the 6 million for every year he played ((8 million Guarenteed + 6 million guaranteed)x 5 years).

Ehh who knows, even if he got cut tomorrow he would still find a contract of at least 12 million a year or so.

11. JetBlue

IMO I don't think anyone would have ponied up $14 million for Revis, or will ever do so going forward, and especially coming off the injury. $10 million is likely his top.

The Bucs thought they were close to being a good team and had dire needs in the secondary, so although they weren't bidding against anyone they were in a position of really wanting him and Revis knew it. additionally they were desperate to make a big signing and generate excitement, and this deal allowed them to do so while also giving them an out at any time. it was the absolute right team at the right time for Revis, and he got a deal and an amount no other team likely would have given him.

12. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

True, it will be intersting to see if the general manager of the Bucs makes the same move Idzik did a year ago in order to help expedite the rebuilding process.

13. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

TB won't get the value we did for Revis. Maybe a late second, not a first.

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

All I can hope for is that Revis does not get traded before the dead line. We want that 3rd round pick. On the other hand for Tampa, if truly insisting in moving Revis out, they might rush things alone and compromise with the likes of San Francisco. Personally, I hope things stall for Revis.

15. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

I think there is a good chance that Revis ends up back on the Jets, if only because his position and skill set are more valuable to Rex's system than arguably any other in the NFL. It's just even in our case, that value is less than 16 million, and if any team wants to sink their salary cap with a contract that big, more power to them. Idzik knows the formula--never pay a player more than they're worth.

16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I homestly doubt Revis gets traded,Who wants to pick up that contract.Maybe the Bucs are trying to pressure him to restructure his contract

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Not very. No way I'd give the Bucs a draft pick to get Revis back. To begin with, I don't want him back, but even if I did, the Jets would look like a bunch of fools for doing that. The circus label would be back. I'd rather have Gilbert, Dennard or Verrett than Revis.

18. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

No that would make the bucs the circus. As the Jets were able to get Sheldon Richardson

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think there's absolutely NO chance Revis comes back. I don't think you do, either, you just want him back. It makes no sense. Woody hates Revis. He would never ok a deal to bring Revis back. Revis is a greedy bastid, and probably doesn't like Woody any more than Woody likes him. Idzik is trying to build a team for the future while removing the circus label. Bringing Revis back would just bring the circus back to town.

20. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Br4dw4y says they cant restructure it, so its either he gets cut or they have to pay him.