I would not be mad (Revis Offseason Thread)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by J_P_5, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I take it from the time of the evening, you were well into several cocktails by then. How does Revis signing with the Pats mean the Jets can start a mid round draft pick at #1 Cb?

Just drop that nonsense. It has nothing to do with Revis going to the Pats.

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I don't hope injury on any player ever, but how funny would it be if the first game of the season, he gets injured and is out for the year? Hahaha

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

which midround pick is that? Wilson and Milliner were both 1st round picks and I would guess at this instant in time they would be the starters.

4. Big Blocker

I do not agree with where you come out on this, but I certainly understand where you are coming from. The FO Homers here will put all the blame for this situation on Revis, and I hardly mean to absolve him of all responsibility. And certainly one can make the argument that TB did not get the better of the Revis trade last year.

But that's a low standard seeing as how the Bucs' former GM and FO cast had lost all the cred left over from the SB win and the Dungy and Gruden days. Big picture, getting the better of that FO is a pretty low standard for Jet FO competence.

Here's my take on Revis - as much as I hate the Pats, and I hate them as much as anyone here, as much as I hate that he is going there, and I hate that as much as anyone here, too, I can't totally blame him. The fact is the Jets never tried to keep him, never made an offer last year to do so, and that was Woody's decision. I am virtually certain Rex did not want to take that approach, but Idzik as the new GM did what Woody wanted.

Would the Jets have been able to keep Revis on acceptable terms? I think they might have, but concede they might not have, either. But they did not try. And once he left, and now became available, why would anyone here think the Pats would not have tried to get him?

So, when the FO Homers here want to pat the Jets "management" on the back, and add up the pros and cons of letting Revis go, they can now also take into account playing Revis twice a year in a Pats uniform, and see how well that goes down.

"Tom, this is just business. It isn't personal. And now you can leave."

5. Big Blocker

I was talking to Zach, who yesterday suggested the Jets could draft a starting CB with a mid round pick.

Heh.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

oh, then I agree.

7. Falco21

Watching First Take this morning is making me fuckin sick. Especially seeing Skip Bayless smile and clap in pure happiness. Fuckin prick

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Huh? Revis going to Pats has nothing to do with that approach. I don't know what you are talking about.

I suggested getting a stop-gap CB while developing another one through mid-round pick in a nutshell. I did not like spending 10+M on a CB in general; Revis signing with Pats is just that - Revis signs with Pats. The way a good team operates [like that of Steelers for instance] is that, when the said player is getting too expensive to keep, you cut ties with him. Jets did just that. I am 100% behind that move. And CB is not the kind of 'premier' position where you want to invest 10% of your entire salary cap either. When there are a lot of good CBs that make fraction of what Revis demands, that speaks volumes about just what the hell is going on there.

9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

where is a good "not sure if serious" pic when I need one

10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

he clearly wasn't worth what he thought he was due as only 1 team was interested in trading with us for him and precisely 0 teams were interested in taking him from the Bucs at the contract he signed with them - I for one am glad that we don't have $12m locked up with a CB - we have too many needs on the other side of the ball to have a 1 year rental with Revis - I would much rather use that money to get a new deal signed with Wilkerson and get him locked down long term.

11. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

Read this article about Revis.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/03/13/revis-island-is-back/

With our front 7, and Revis locking down the top offensive target like he used to, we had the opportunity to be a legendary Defense this coming year.

If we got him for the same rate NE did(1 year, $12 mil), he would have absolutely have been worth it.

12. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...return-jets-rex-wanted-back-article-1.1720586

1. The defense we run puts a lot of pressure on our corners
    2. Revis knows this system, and has thrived in it.
    3. Cornerback is our biggest need right now.
    4. Management knew that if we didn't make a play, Revis would end up in NE.

A 1 year $12 million dollar deal is nothing like the contracts Tanny handed out to Sanchez, Harris, Cro, and Holmes. There is very limited downside on this sort of a deal, and won't have compounded effects for future seasons.

The problem with billionaire owners is that they have ego's the size of the moon. There's no reason why this shouldn't have happened.

#532 rsmehta, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  13. Big Blocker

You quoted my post quoting your previous post. Now you don't know what I was talking about??? No wonder, since what I quoted in your previous post made no sense.

But this post of yours doesn't make much sense, either. "stop-gap CB while developing... mid-round pick" equals downgrade at Cb, and will require Milliner to be the #1 Cb on Opening Day.

I for one do not think much of that plan. Unless Cro is the "stop-gap CB", we will be watching a very shaky secondary this year.

14. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

You deserve whatever you get for watching that "show."

15. Falco21

Why is that? It's an entertaining show and Stephen A. Smith is someone I like hearing talk about sports.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

BB, I was on record with you about not trading Revis last offseason. I remember arguing right along with you During that whole saga against trading him.

But I gotta say, I disagree completely on the not blaming Revis part for this. At this point I am done with that SOB. I wouldn't have cared if he latched onto NE in a long term 16mil deal, but this guy jerked the Jets around for seasonS, over wanting a long term deal and big dollars.

If that's the guy he is, that's fine.. We all got families to feed. But to take that paltry 1 year deal from N.E. after mere hours on the market, AFTER yearS of fucking with our Jets over more money and more years? He can go fuck himself at this point for all I care that was bush-league. I would feel the same way if he signed that deal with any team btw, not just because its N.E.

17. Big Blocker

Again, I did not say I admire him for going to NE. Not at all. But as you know the Jets traded him to TB without even trying to sign him, did not make any attempt to get him this off season, either, and from all that I would think if I were him I would not feel I owed the Jets, and Woody in particular, anything.

TB was talking about cutting him. Was anyone else out there offering more than NE?

Bottom line, I remain a Jet fan and hate the move, but I can't get all worked up at Revis given the way Woody and the team handled his situation. Both sides were at fault, and along with the benefits of the Revis trade we now see a big detriment.

18. ScrewedAgain

ScrewedAgain Member

This front office and our owner in particular are really wearing on me. It's beyond the point of agitation and face palms.

Teams do not trade away their greatest talents for mid round draft picks. I KNEW this was a horrible idea right from the beginning and I absolutely HATED it. We know how fickle football fans are, especially casual ones, and I hear people call Sherman "the best cornerback in the league" and we Jet fans know these people are full of crap, just looking for headlines at the expense of a true great who had a year in Tampa rehabilitating an injury. These are the same fools who said Joe Flacco and Eli Manning were elite, and that Colin Kaepernick was better than Joe Montana, which is what ESPN hacks were selling two years ago.

Revis at cornerback is the damn truth. He is easily one of the best football players in the league, he's on a level that only comes along once a generation, and he was drafted a Jet.
    No matter what struggles we may have had as a team, or what record we finished with, or whether or not we came up short in our AFC Championship games, we could still hold up Revis as a source of team pride. He was my favorite NY Jet. It didn't matter who might come to town, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Randy Moss, Steve Smith, Terrell Owens, Andre Johnson, Ocho Cinco, we all had #24, and we were going to SHUT YOU DOWN.

Not anymore.

I felt betrayed when we first let him go and let the situation deteriorate to the point of a trade, which I lay at the feet at Woody and Woody alone.

Now that betrayal is complete.

Next year we're going to be forced as Jets fans to watch Revis Island storm the field in a blue New England jersey. Just soul crushing. Just absolutely soul crushing.

Meanwhile, this all happened while we're WAY under cap, on an off season where we had the money to make right and bring our pride draft pick home.

I'm so disgusted with our ownership right now I could say things I would probably regret and wouldn't want to say.

That last few years have been horrible and Revis in blue, standing on the sideline with his smug, arrogant, new evil Empire is just the icing on the freaking cake.

Thanks for the memories, Revis. Sorry our owner is a Jerry Jones tier piece of crap unworthy of our loyalty

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You think Steelers would put up with his crap for more than Jets ever did? Jets fans get a team like Jets for a reason.

20. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

When will people understand that Revis is a one year mercenary that demands the highest price for what he does. He is making bank, and now leaving Tampa for New England he has a chance to win as well. The Pats gave him 12 mil in the first year, is that correct? There will most likely be no second year or it will be largely restructured. The Jets would have had to top 12 mil a year, and you want to lock him up long term on top of that? We can't build a franchise like that! Wake up!