I would not be mad (Revis Offseason Thread)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by J_P_5, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yeah, I guess I read your reply wrong. I thought you said comfortable they could work out a deal and not comfortable with the current deal, nobody would be comfortable with that. It's probably moot anyway because there won't be a new deal made in the next 7 hours or so.

2. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I would pass on Verner if he wants 10 mil. It is just too much money for a guy who covers one player.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I agree on this one but we'll see what the Jets think. I'm kind of hoping we're talking $8M a year and the ability to exit after a couple of years if he doesn't turn into one of the best in the league.

Paying average players like they were good and good players like they were stars has really hurt the Jets in the past.

4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Shefter is reporting the Patriots are intrested in Revis,ooo that would suck so bad

5. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I could see Revis going there out of spite... The prick.

6. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

They only have about $14 million in cap space. Would seem odd.

7. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

It was never all about him. The guy plays financial hardball in the offseason. How is that "me-first"? During the season he NEVER made any waves whatsoever. He never commented on Mgt,. Coaches or decisions. He never negotiated in the media. He never openly praised other teams. In short, he was a consummate professional (despite playing for a coach who is a complete attention-hound and acts like a freshman who just got signed to the WWE). Idk what more you're looking for in a leader. His price was too high for the Jets so they traded him. It was a fair deal. I just don't see a "villain" in the situation.

The 1985er and truthbtold like this.
  8. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Skip and Stephan A both think he is worth a 3rd rounder and that a team would be smart to trade for him... thoughts ?? I lol'd

9. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

True, but Revis' contract allows his salary to be conveyed to bonus money. That can the be pro-rated over 5 years significantly reducing his cap number. So it is not simple but it's doable.

And who's to say he won't agree to restructure as a part of a trade? I would just be surprised if a GM with cash or picks does not make a run for a top 5 defensive player in his prime.

10. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

He's worth it! Remember, his money is NOT guaranteed, so he has every incentive to take a haircut for guaranteed long term loot.

Btw- Who's better at the position right now?

11. Br4d

Darrelle Revis compensation was the #1 topic around the Jets in at least 3 off-seasons. Sorry, when a guy plays for you for for 6 years and his contract comes up 3 times he's a lousy leader and a bad person to have in the clubhouse.

The NFL is a very short career for most guys. It's a scary place to work because you never know when your last snap is going to happen and it is often followed by being carried off in the field in pain. Having the blessed guy, the best guy on the team, constantly harping about his compensation and what he deserves when he's already making 20 times what you'll ever make is just a crappy thing to have to watch and listen to over and over again. It wears on your ability to suspend disbelief and play with your heart instead of worrying about your wallet.

chris5533 likes this.
  12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The pats are intrested in Verner to so we better make a move if we plan on taking Verner

13. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Revis isn't going to the Pats they're cheap and Revis wouldn't do that to us despite the hate he gets here.Id pay Revis whatever he wants, we all know he is the most versatile corner in the league and would single handedly make our defense ELITE again. That would be epic if it actually happened, a 1st and a 4th for a one year rental. Id give him a 5 year 65 million deal, this is a passing league guys. If you're giving Verner 10 mil a year you might as well give Revis 13 mil a year.

14. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

When was Revis harping about his compensation? When was his public lobbying for more money? I missed it.

Guys in the NFL know you got to get paid for all the reasons you just stated. So offseason hardball is nothing new. Revis, unlike lots of players, never went to the press to rip Mgt or make his case. And no one on the team had one bad thing to say about the guy after he left. How bad could he have been?

Ralebird likes this.
  15. Br4d

He held out twice and complained about his compensation and threatened to hold out in 2012.

His reps constantly floated the notion that he was under-compensated, virtually every year except for the year after his holdout in 2010. I don't what you were watching from 2007 to 2012 but Mevis became a meme for a reason.

16. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

Revis will sign wherever the most money is. Bottom line. He has a me first business attitude about the nfl and doesn't hide it. It does not make him a bad person it just makes assimilating him into a team first environment difficult. The way nfl owners are changing and seemed to be working together to not let the player market get out of control again, revis will most likely move fwd going from team to team on 1 or 2 year deals.

As a fan I hate the revis approach. In respect to his mindset he hates managment and takes the stance one bad year, one serious injury, and they will throw me away. So he's all about pay me now. His uncle sean Gilbert had this imbedded in his mind from day one. Like it was pointed out above your on 3 contracts in 6 years, broke two of them and held out. It's most orginazation biggest nightmare. Best player making top dollar and always wants more. No win situation.

17. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Oh man! I hope Revis goes to New England! He'd all but make sure they don't win Super Bowls!

18. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Are you crazy?

Ralebird likes this.
  19. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

I'm not crazy, Revis is a cancer, he kills teams! Teams that he plays for don't win Super Bowls, and isn't that what we are after?

20. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

That's not accurate at all.