I was Wrong Again......

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

I don't agree. If you see your QB available, no point in waiting around for him. I'm still waiting for all the phoney "we were just about to pick Dak Prescott but the Cowboys jumped in first" threads.

Plus, what is the cost of picking him too high? It's not like there was valuable draft capital involved here

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're wrong.

3. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I did not think we would have a good year. I did not want to re sign Fitz. The Buffalo game last year told me that Fitz was still Fitz. He has been more than a disaster. Laughably, one of the news stories asks "What if the move to Geno backfires?" Backfires from what----to what? Our season is over, contention-wise. The fact that the D has been so mediocre this year is a bit of a shock, especially when our head coach prides himself on being a defensive guru. The fact that the defensive talent is not optimizing itself is disturbing. Is it because of the defensive scheme? Is it the play calling? Even with a rotten scheme and a rotten play call, the talent should kind of seep through, and it is nowhere to be found. When a player just does not play his best you have to determine if it is effort or if it is something else. Either of these outcomes would be disturbing.

RonPi, kevda5n9ne and MoWilkBeast like this.
  4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

In your opinion besides the 1968 season when was the last time the NUJs had a good season?:mad:

5. championjets69

Nah U forgot Joe Walton & Rich Kotex:mad:

6. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

To be completely honest, I did NOT think this would be a good season. Always thought even with Fitz resigned this team was NO better than 5-11 or 6-10. I thought with Geno it would actually be far worse, 4-12 or worse. So for those that want the Jets to lose out and get the top pick? You may very well get that in the end.

But I also wanted and wished the Jets would resign Ryan Fitzpatrick. Now, looking back on that decision that is obviously a bad choice. But like I said, I do not believe the Jets are any better off with Geno Smith. In fact, they'll be worse.

My gripe has always been the neglect of the OL. The Jets needed a starting OL from the draft and everyone knew that. Mac drafting Darron Lee and Hack with their first two picks does NOT make any sense. He completely ignored a great area of need to go with a guy that is NOT a prototypical fit for a 3-4 base defense. In 3-4 hybrid defense, which is what Bowles hangs his hat on, Darron Lee is a situational type player at best. The Jets IMO very much needed an EVERY down player. Given their very strenuous schedule, the only way I felt they had a chance at winning any of those games against playoff teams was to pick up and every down player that would pop right from the get go. The Jets do not have that with Darron Lee. As I said, he is a situational player at best in a 3-4.

And what exacerbates the bad pick is the stupidity coming from Todd Bowles CLAIMING that Lee would play inside, outside, and cover TE's. My feeling is Todd Bowles was insulting Jets fans intelligence with such asinine claims. There's NO way Darron Lee will ever play outside on a regular basis. There's also NO way he will ever be effective covering TE's. The claim from all of the gullible Jets fans looking on was that Darron Lee was going to put this defense over the top. The fact is, he is anything but that and what we are seeing from the defense is evidence of that.

The only way the Lee pick turns out to be a good pick for us this season is if they go exclusively to a 4-3 defense, which Lee is a great fit for given how small and fast he is. Or they opt to move him to FS. The latter is not happening this season, so going strictly 4-3 makes too much sense to ignore. However, that also limits how versatile this defense can be.

But I also do not want to see someone like Mac be fired for making the mistake of drafting Darron Lee and hiring Todd Bowles. Those are obvious mistakes, but Mac has also done a some very good things for this team. He drafted Leonard Williams. He drafted Charone Peake and picked up UDFA's like Robbie Anderson and Jalin Marshall. He managed to acquire Brandon Marshall for a mere 5th round draft choice. He resigned Bilal Powell. He acquired Matt Forte in FA. He acquired Steve McClendon who IMO could become a locker room leader very quickly.

Going forward I think starting Geno Smith is pure stupidity and it shows Jets fan just how incompetent toilet Bowles is. He is NOT the future of this team. He's been given more than enough chances and he always sucks. It didn't take him 7 passes to revert back to the idiot Geno has always been. He doesn't get it between the ears and that will never change.

7. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

The pats have Gronkowski and Bennett playing TE, and we have Kellen Davis. That's how far away in talent we are. The fact that Kellen is in the NFL just shows you how piss poor our coaching staff is at evaluating talent. Kellen Davis couldn't get a job bagging groceries.

kevda5n9ne and jdon like this.
  8. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

he does nothing, but somehow manages to commit penalties.

TNJet and kevda5n9ne like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It's like Groundhog Day every year with this franchise. Same depressing shit over and over again.

xxedge72x and kevda5n9ne like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

So 4-12 is "far worse" than 5-11 or 6-10. OK, got it. I'll have to remember that.

IMO you're wrong about Lee and his size for the 3-4. Not all 3-4s are the same. Bowles and Rex both use variations of the 3-4 and 4-3. Rex likes bigger, slower OLBs. Bowles likes them lighter and faster. Maybe you haven't noticed, but the NFL is a passing league now and lots of teams are going with lighter, faster LBs so they can help in coverage over the middle.

Going 4-3 make absolute zero sense. That's what Bowles has been doing, and it hasn't worked. That's why our DL gets almost no pressure on opposing QBs. We don't have a 4-3 DE on the roster. We don't have the LBs for that, either.

12. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Good note, though I'm hoping the selection of Geno is only because they needed to make a change and Petty needs a few more weeks of practice to get ready.

13. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

That's what surprised me too. I've been saying all year that this is not a win now season, that we need to see what the
    young guys can do, but I expected the D to be at least ok. But last years cream puff schedule made us overrate the D
    too.

Ron

14. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

That's one of 22 positions...

15. championjets69

Why was this a non winning season as U posted? You do realize that the last time the NYJs won anything that matter was 01/12/69 when someone named JWN was our QB:mad:

16. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I think we were a little guilty of believing the press clippings about our D. When you stand back and look at it, it is really nothing to get excited about. With Revis on the downward spiral, we have no star there. Harris is old and slow and has never been a great player. Lee/ Who knows? He is pretty active right now and in on a lot of tackles, but he has shown nothing when it comes to using that speed to get at a QB. Or cover a top TE. Then there is our All Pro line. Sheldon is All Stupid and I am so tired of his mouth. MO is All Lazy. I think Leonard has played hard. There really is not that much there. What was that pre season hype all about?

17. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Maybe. I'm sure there was an insane homeless person who had Hack on his board as the top qb prospect.

TNJet likes this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

1998, 2009 and 2010 were as close as I have seen the Jets to a Super Bowl. Starting to wonder when the next time will be...........

19. NCJetsfan

Don't be a wiseass. I didn't say he was the top QB prospect, but he was certainly rated higher than a 4th round prospect by at least 3-4 teams that we know of.