I want to kick Mangini in the Nuts

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bizprof, Aug 16, 2008.

1. steviep

steviep Active Member

if you have a chance to have your fg unit kick a tying fg -- you do it -- thats what the games are for.

unfortunately, they couldnt do it.

2. NewestJetFan

NewestJetFan New Member

Favre will put us in position to win but we can't win enough games to go to the playoffs without a clutch kicker, shit no wonder I never of heard of him. Has he been good enough in other years?

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Nuge is consistent, with these odd misses every now and then. He misses the FGs that make you really angry. He missed one against the Titans in week 1 in 06, then didn't miss until week 17. Thats really good. But when he misses a chip shot, its time to bring out the pitch forks.

4. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

I like that idea. I could care less now if Nugent was a second round pick. He has been inconsistent since we got him and I don't want to deal with his inconsistency this year

5. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Perhaps Mangini, you know the coach, thought it was more important to see how the team reacted to overtime. Maybe he wanted to get Ainge some reps. Maybe he thought, it is the preseason lets test these guys, take some risks, and see what they got. Maybe the HC knows a little more about what areas of the team need to be tested before the regular season starts.

And who was going to be injured? The third string long snapper? Who the hell cares. None of the starters were in, and this is the time for the coach to test the roster.

It is the PRESEASON. We saw the offense have chemistry with our new HOF QB, the Oline gel, Gholston starting to find his footing, and the starting defensive unit kicking serious ass. What the hell do you want?

But we're Jets fans right, we just have to bitch about everything. My God...

#25 dabrowsk1, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  6. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

There is no substitute for real game situations against another team. The more plays you can squeeze into a pre-season game, the more work you can get done with your wannabes and your roster.

Going for the FG was not only the right thing to do in a real game with 5 seconds left. It also was going to extend the game situations for more practice by Ainge et al.

This is training camp, but it's also football. These guys aren't china dolls, especially 3rd string down.

7. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

Mangini should have went for it. It's pre-season, and I wanted to see if Ratliff and company had what it takes to punch it in on 4th down.

Regarding Mike Nugent, he is not that great. His leg is weak, and he is easily rattled. Now, we have to pray for the easy ones to go through the uprights! :(

8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Yes....

because Ohio State produces nothing but retards and terrible athletes. Just look at that Nick Mangold guy. What a retard...

:rolleyes:

9. ElleBlue

ElleBlue New Member

I agree that he should have gone for it. The field goal kick would've only earned enough points to put in OT and Nugent missed it anyway! It is a preseason game, so such risks can be be taken to see what Ratliff and the others are made of.

10. tenken627

tenken627 New Member

It's a preseason game, yet Mangini uses WR end-arounds, and goes for it on 4th down in the 1st quarter on the Jets side of the field as well.

He wanted Favre to score that badly?

#30 tenken627, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  11. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

What's your point???

12. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I'm surprised there are some people questioning mangini's decision to kick the field goal. There were only 5 seconds left and that is not enough time to garauntee that you'd get another chance if you didn't score on that play. He also wanted to get more reps for some of his 3rd stringers (especially Ainge - who hadn't even gotten a chance to play at all). It would have been the right decision in the regular season and it was the right decision in preseason. Case Closed.

13. songster67

songster67 New Member

Doesn't matter whether it's preseason or not. All these guys are on job interviews for a limited number of positions. If I'm Nugent, I'm on the practice field today kicking till the cows come home. After last night, I wouldn't be looking at houses to buy in NJ just yet.

When does Jay Feely try out?

14. glenn212

glenn212 New Member

Nuge has to make kicks in pressure situations,thats why Mangini did it..Who cares about OT..more snaps to evaluate young talent when picking your 53 man roster.

15. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

so did mangold and he may be the smartest guy on the team..

16. #17 with a bullet

#17 with a bullet New Member

I think the kid needs some more competition. Missing a field goal that short, whether Mangini should had went for it or not is completely inexcusable. Feely anyone.

17. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem going for OT. More time to evaluate players. After all, the point of the preseason is to evaluate young talent.

18. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

So Mangini is an idiot for making Nugent kick under pressure and now you want to bring in a kicker because he missed a pressure kick!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Could it be that Mangini wanted to see what Ratliff could do in OT? That would have allowed BR to really show what he can do under pressure..

20. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Are you kidding? This is a real football situation. There are guys still on the sidelines that you haven't seem much performance out of.....so of course you want OT. You want to evaluate everyone.

Never coach football. Come on, think about it. This is pretty basic.