I support Vernon Gholston

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Aug 24, 2009.

1. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I think vernon has improved a bit. He needs to work hard and keep at it. There are guys in this league who started out looking like busts, but they kept working at it and made the most of their opportunities and became very successful players. VG could be one of those guys, a slow developer who comes on.

2. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Come on- you've got undrafted rookies THIS YEAR producing more than Gladys. I wish that you guys would stop with that argument.

Think about it, he's had the benefit of one additional training camp PLUS a full year of NFL "experience" and he's being outplayed by undrafted talent against the very same opposing O.

Is it possible to coach the "pussy" out of someone?

3. Tenn_JetsFanatic

wasn't he rumored to be working out with Lawrence Taylor this offseason? what happened?

4. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I wish it were just as simple as him being a pussy, but that's only half his problem. He also can't play football.

I will always "support" VG in whatever he does, as long as he's not playing against the Jets. There will probably be one season where that happens, after he's released by the Jets and someone takes a flier on him. That will be his last season. After that, I will resume supporting him in all future endeavors. Perhaps as a piano mover.

5. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Taylor's pep talks didn't work.

Same for Teddy Atlas.

I hear that Tony Robbins is on deck and if that doesn't work we're bringing the Pope over.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

To coin a phrase: It's the Contract.. Stupid!

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

i do appreciate your insight, even if I don't completely agree with it. Gholston did show some improvement, although the more snaps he got, the less heart he showed on the field.

He was playing aggressive at the start, when other playmakers were on the field, and completely played down to the 2's when most of the Jets' starting D was off the field. Most times he was in single coverage, and when the Ravens ran the ball at him, he allowed himself to be pushed back instead of showing any aggression to shrug the block and pursue the ball carrier.

The huge problem I have with this guy is something that Ryan mentioned in one of his pressers. Rex said they were coaching him to play through the blocker, not to give up. He is a pass rusher that shows no nose for the ball.

On one obvious passing play in the second quarter, he was unblocked on the outside and the RT was pushed back into his arm. I'm not saying the guy completely blocked his lane, I mean the guy hit HIS ARM and all of his momentum was GONE. He was unabated and could not pursue the QB. That shows me a complete lack of heart and football instinct.

If it wasn't for his draft status, this guy wouldn't even have touched the field until the 3rd quarter. I'm sick of hearing excuses for him. And I don't care about his numbers in preseason. What I want to see is an aggressive pass rusher that affects the game, like the Jets thought they would get when they drafted him.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Why don't you support him by naming some of the good you saw instead of just unconditionally supporting his biceps?

9. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

It looks like he's making out with the OT on most plays.

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Sci, I like you but this thread belongs in the bullshit forum.

11. rudd28

rudd28 New Member

I don't see it...I just don't see it with this kid. He's tentative out on the field...anytime he is blocked, it looks like he just stops pumping his legs. Most DE's try and blow up the blocker, or go around him...Gholston just looks as if he stops. He tried 2-3 arm tackles last night, and was useless. He looked like he was getting out of the way, more than looking for the tackle. It's almost as if he shys away from contact, and he's built like a greek god. I don't understand him, the more I watch him. I have to disagree with people who say they see improvement. I see the same scared, lackadaisical, unmotivated player out there that I saw last year. I have zero hope in this guy, and really don't want to see him on the field on 9/6 in Houston.

12. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Is it Johnny Mitchell redux?

13. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Did anyone think that this was going to work?

LT: Okay, the first thing you do is you just be incredibly awesome at football.
    VG: Like this?
    LT: No.
    LT: No, that's not it at all. Didn't I just say you had to be awesome?
    VG: Yeah. I'm trying.
    LT: Trying?! I don't understand what you mean. Just... like... you know... have incredible skill and instincts and aggression and unparalleled ability. It's second nature. C'mon.
    LT: God no. That ain't it. Hmm. Well... good luck. Any strip clubs around here? I could use a drink.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I think when you draft a guy number 6 and pay him 30 million dollars with 20 of it guaranteed you are entitled to have lofty expectations.

15. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

MB that is exactly what I was thinking last night! This guy is dancing around when every other player on the field is playing football!

16. dino26

dino26 New Member

I dont even support his change in jersey #

17. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

McGahee ran into him on that play, and even there Ghoston only had an assist. I did not see him cause the pocket to collapse and allow someone else to get a sack. Granted, that memory may be blocked from my mind, so can someone refresh me please.

18. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

19. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

We?ll have him around for at least another year, no need to waste a all that good clean hate in the preseason, save some for the Regular Season, when it really counts.

I still got some hope, that once he gets a sack, all that pressure will fall of of him and he can finally start to play Football again, the problem, the way he plays right now, he?ll never get a sack.

20. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

This D is young and growing as a unit and in the next season or two we will see the likes of Murrell and Gholston growing into the schemes.