I support Vernon Gholston

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Phear

Phear New Member

he wasnt impressive but he did cause the pocket to collapse and allow someone to get a sack, he also made the tackle that would have probably been ran for a td by (i believe it was mcgahee). ill support him as he seems to be improving some. i wont call someone a bust after his 2nd pre season game of his second year in the league like some ignorant fans. I really hope that he can prove most of you wrong.

2. ShAuN JoHN 9294

ShAuN JoHN 9294 New Member

A tough road it is to walk but I knew when we drafted him he was a project obviously going from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB so I didn't expect much from him last year. Didn't expect 0 impact plays with 5 tackles either but whatever. He looks better than last year but going from training camp fodder to a back up's back up isn't much of a step up. He's a NYJ so I gotta support him until he drives me on the brink of insanity lol

3. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

0 Tackles, 1 Assist in a meaningless preseason game. What's not to love?

4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I support the hope of him becoming an impact player for this team. I've disagreed with picking him up, even before we drafted him. I watched him throughout his college days, and he had a lot of red flags then. I just hope Ryan can get him playing some quality football, we'll see.

5. ........

........ Trolls

I'm trying. I really am. I was watching him, searching for the good like a mad man. I just kept coming away empty handed. For example, I thought maybe he took on two blockers when Westerman busted in to hit Ray Rice for a loss, rewound it, and saw him getting pushed back alone by the RG. I keep waiting, and I keep hoping, but I don't know if I can say I really support him.

6. McCluneNYJ

McCluneNYJ Active Member

I really tried as well and I am not seeing it.

I saw him play far too vertical to be effective against NFL linemen.

He tried his speed rush repeatedly, was denied emphatically and then tried a sorry spin move.

The only times he created pressure was when we was given an extensive look against the second stringers.

I am sorry, but he has Bryan Thomas written all over him.

7. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

I support him! If Mangini was here I would say different, but I have faith in REX and this defense to get his game fine tuned and together. The same exact things were said about Terrell Suggs, and Ryan worked with him one on one and turned him into a complete pro bowl LB. Rex will get this guy to play.

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I want Gholston to turn into a productive player badly. The investment in him is huge, but it is fucking SCARY how little he has done to this point. He is doing fuckall out there.... I am concerned.

9. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I'll support him cus there's no choice but to support him at the moment, he's gonna play with Pace suspended. He's not gonna get cut for another couple years cus of the massive cap hit so w/e as long as he's on the team I'll support him

10. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

Sad part is, he's going to cost a guy like Westerman, Cummings, or Renkart a shot at making the team.

11. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I still have faith in him. Coming out of Sutton's 'defensive' system and not starting a game all last year, he's practically still a rookie. He might be a little behind in his development but these thing can take time. He just needs to get coached up, get some reps and most importantly, develop a fondness for hurting people.. and that's something I think Bart can help him with.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You don't draft "projects" with the #6 overall pick. What are you saying about Tannenbaum then?

13. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I'm in Gholston's corner. I tend not to get involved in the VG conversations because feelings are so polarized on him. He hasn't been very good, so it's not unreasonable for people to be against him, but I think he has the potential.

I was a bit upset that the one time I really noticed him last night was when he was chasing down someone who had already gotten past him. I admit I didn't focus on him though.

I just keep crossing my fingers. What else can you do? This guy is an expensive piece of our team, and he's not going anywhere. I'm rooting for him.

14. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I didn't like the Gholston pick but I've supported him thus far. Last night, I didn't see one redeemable play from him. I'm done saying that he could be good. We should have picked Leodis McKelvin

15. Pavlus53

Pavlus53 Member

On most plays, it just seems that his motor is on cruise control. As some have mentioned, he doesn't finish well or you see him behind the play.

Someone needs to piss him off. It could be Scott grabbing him and getting in his ear or an opponent giving him a cheap hit. It just seems like he isn't angry.

Of course, these observations are made from my couch while I drink cheap beer. I'm sure Rex Ryan would like my input on this matter.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Ask yourselves this. Do you really think Gholston would still even be in the NFL if he didn't have the better part of a guaranteed 20 million dollars coming his way? There are better UFAs that haven't stuck.

17. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I feel the same. good post.

18. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

No, Bryan Thomas is at least an average player and good backup.

Gholston is the invisible man who can't catch a QB going on a nightly jog.

19. DMSMaven

DMSMaven Member

Gotta agree ... He's got the physical tools ... That muscle between his ears isn't worth a damn though ...

BUT ... As long as he's wearing the Green-n-White I'll support him and hope that he get's to the point that he is productive for us ....

20. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I fell asleep halfway through watching the DVR last night- can someone please cue me in on how Westerman looked in relation to Gholston? I did catch one play where Westerman made a nice tackle, but didn't get to see anything beyond that....

I did however get to see our Gazillion Dollar Man get torched by another QB in a foot race! There's something to be said for consistency.