I support Vernon Gholston

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

please slip on a banana peel and fall in a lake of fire.....thanks.

2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i support VG also....i actually think tonight he showed a lot of progress...his football speed was way up....listen anyone expecting this guy to bust out of the gates after last year losing all his confidence is delusional....but he has definitly shown much better football speed off the corner...on one play he pressured the QB breaking down the pocket and allowing the jets a sack...

he actually made some good plays today and has definitly progressed...

some people here i guess will expect him to just bust out...while i understand that he is a top 10 pick and the original expectations were high lets realize what it is now...as of now he had a terrible season...a lot of it i attribute to our shitty coaching staff...give him some time to build some confidence and he will start making plays for this team...

3. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

you VG apologists make me sick. absolutely sick.

dewayne robertson actually tackled people. as bad as d-slob is/was, VG is easily 10x more pathetic as a 2nd year player.

4. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Dont YOU dare agree with me, thats the kiss of death!

5. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Yes, the pressure he put on Flacco when Flacco ran for 14 yards was quite impressive. And his inability to tackle their fourth string running back in the backfield is clearly because he is awesome.

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

holy mackerel......somebody needs to do a cannonball into the Lake of Fire.....with misguided optimism such as this.

7. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I have supported Vernon before he arrived in the NFL in the draft forum.

Still have high hopes for him but again it depends on the fanbase's patience. I think by year 3 he will have gotten the message/and has adjusted to the speed.
    I would expect 3-3.5 sacks and some on/off play from him this year. I know that will not satisfy the Jet fans here but its a slow progression from the abysmal season last year and he is still a raw product with still huge upside. Its no different than a QB who is learning the system, you need to be PATIENT. I hope Sanchez gets some of that.

8. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

He did shit once again tonight.

9. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i dont understand why i cant agree with you....

i'm not saying VG hasnt been utterly dissapointing....he absolutely has...but all im saying is after last year the way things went you can't expect his progress to show immediately in numbers 2 games into the preseason....if he doesnt show shit by the time pace comes back I will absolutely place the bust title on him...once the season starts he needs to put himself in a position to put up some stats....but for right now just take the intangibles because thats what counts for this guy right now...

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I wish I had DVR so I could focus on him. Whenever I focused on him during the game it seemed liked he just held contain like he was supposed to. The only pass rush I watched him on he took an inside rush and ran into a double.

11. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

There were quite a few contain plays, but he also lined up as DE a few times. When he was sent with his ear pinned back, he put some pressure on the QB. I did notice one play where he pushed through the O-line and got ahold of (McGahee?) but couldnt bring him down. He was tripped up shortly after at the line...

12. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Gholsten was a one trick pony in college,

he lost his giddyup and forget how to do the trick

Send him to the glue factory

13. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

He gets a good push on most plays and plugs up his lanes. He just can't finish and get a sack. He did get one or two QB pressures. It does seem like he's just there to plug holes and not pass rush, and I don't know if that's by design or because of VG's lack of pass rushing moves.

Either way, Gholston plays like an undersized 3-4 defensive lineman. Not good unless this is Rex's design.

14. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Gholston is a MASSIVE bust. He gets pushed off the ball with impunity. It's frightening.

15. Mr Potato Fro

Mr Potato Fro New Member

VG just has no presence of the field. I was kind of hoping for him to show something tonight, but to be honest if ESPN hadn't of continually talked about his need to step up his game, i'm not even sure i would have known he was playing.

16. Heavy Metal Thunder

17. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

the thing about gholston is that he doesn't even flash any sign of being good

someone with that ability is so invisible. you would think he'd occasionally make a big play but he never does and has yet to in his NFL career. it's sad.

18. nyjvilma51

nyjvilma51 New Member

I don't post here very often but do follow what people say on this site...

When I break down video on Vernon Gholston I see a lot of potential in him. I think as fans you guys really focus on stats and not really his job on the field. When he played tonight he was mainly a backside contain man..

The backside contain, if you don't know, job is to stand up his man (Which he did many of times, which shows his power...yes he has it) and read where the play is going. A few of the times He broke free and was able to chase down the runner...Showing is "speed"

When he "Pin his ears back" As you guys like to call it which is also called a bracket rush he showed great acceleration around the corner. Many times he was picked up by a 2nd man...he did have nice pressure on Falcco even though he did break the big run The MLB back is suppose to cover the outside flats on that type of rush.

Now this is not saying that Vernon is playing well or playing poorly. I think Rex knows what he is talking about when he says Vernon is improving.

As fans its easy to sit back and cry about a player not getting numbers. In football its not about numbers and some (Not all as there are many knowledgeable fans on this site) think that numbers are what makes a player.

This guy changed positions...now he is in his second defense...give him time to read and react...this defense is 100000 times different than last years. Many of the players are still adjusting to the style of play. (younger players are struggling more than the vets).

You may like my insight you may not...all I know is being a coach and being an expert in pure strength and conditioning methods I do notice the improvements from Vernon from year one to year two.

19. ShAuN JoHN 9294

ShAuN JoHN 9294 New Member

I'll support this waste of talent. He's got until the end of the year to turn it around.

20. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

I am with you, but its a hard road