I support Vernon Gholston

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Aug 24, 2009.

1. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

You sir, are a certifiable nutcase.

I can't believe I am even arguing with you.

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

^ Who's the girl in your avatar?

3. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Given where Gholston was drafted and the paycheck he is getting, he is way worse than DRob so far. The bottom line is VG has contributed very little thus far.

4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

He looks lost on every play, almost like the way players used to float in Madden...

5. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

Seriously, thank God most people don't have their heads shoved so far up their Jet-green asses so as not to realize that Gholston looks awful out there.

#205 yanks9596, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  6. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Don't underestimate the health benifits of the extra vitamin D recieved from expossing your head to the sunshine eminating from your colon.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I know for a fact that Gholston was lined up at least 3 times as DE in dime sets (on the line with Bryan Thomas at LDE and Ellis at DT) not 3-4 sets. Dime sets, even with 3 down linemen, typically require a pass rush from the DL. Just because it's a 3-down lineman set doesn't make it a 3-4 set. I know at least 3 of your one-sided explanations are completely wrong, more than likely the 3rd down situations. I'll break down the Gholston appearances this weekend and show you your mistakes with the actual personnel packages instead of just a half-assed breakdown. This post isn't as good as people are harping about.

#207 abyzmul, Aug 27, 2009
  8. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Again, he is not what he was drafted to be.

Yet.

Let me repeat that so we all understand where guys like Scik and myself are coming from.

He is not what he was drafted to be. Yet.

Right now, he is contributing. Not the way you would expect a #6 pick, drafted to be an OLB in a 3-4 defense, in his second pro year, but he is contributing.

The question is whether Rex is molding him or not, after his predecessor did such a horrid job.

Will he be a great 3-4 OLB? I don't know. If I were forced to bet right now, I'd bet no. So instead of bitching and moaning that he was a collossal waste of a pick, I'm instead glad to see he's doing something to contribute. That's not good enough for you? That's fine. But it doesn't make him a complete bust. It makes those who picked him for a position he has seemed ill-suited to play look like amateurs, and the biggest clown of the bunch is now coaching a team that wears brown jersies.

I'm holding out hope that he matures under Ryan. I hold out hope that he'll eventually be a terrorizing, pass-rushing, mean-as-hell OLB. Right now, I'll settle for a guy who is allowing other talented defensive players to make plays, and I'll support him while he attempts to progress.

You guys can all sit around and be pissed off all day Sunday. More power to you.

9. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Vern's quality: he keeps 1 o-lineman from roaming. And he trots really well.

10. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

so what you are saying is...we should be o.k. with the idea that ghost is horrendously overpaid while he learns on the job? what kind of business concept is that? i believe that you are trying to re-invent the wheel here. sounds like a bunch of sunshine spin to me. ghost sucks, and you and your followers are looking at the smallest of football fundementals as part of the learning curve like "it is part of the process"........ a mangini philosophy. its as simple as this using baseball as an example....some guys can throw 100 miles an hour while others can throw in the 70's. those that reach the professional level, can play like professionals, while the others do not and wont. would you allow the yankees to draft a guy that throws 70 mph, in hopes that someday he could throw 100? i doubt it!!!!

11. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

you have the same delusional ideas that scik has... and i would love to have the both of you as bosses in any kind of work as long as you pay me extremely well , and you dont care what i get done until i'm through learning! oh, and will i be able to keep the money if i never figure out the tasks that you require of me?

12. abyzmul

Look, I'm giving him a chance to improve. I don't think we should cut him, but what I saw on the field Monday night and 2 Fridays ago is certainly not good enough for me to believe this guy will do anything but suck as starting OLB in the absence of Calvin Pace. Not good enough at all. I'd almost rather see them start Westerman.

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The mere fact that guys like Westerman and Trusnick have shown more in more limited playing time has to be cause for serious alarm. The guy really just doesn't seem to be any good.

14. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

Westerman should start...

15. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Murrell beat his ass out in last years training camp.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If we could have cut him we would have cut him after camp LAST year just like we did so many others. Unfortunately we can't. It's a year and another camp later and he is still no better than the guys we cut last September.

#216 Don, Aug 27, 2009
  17. abyzmul

I'm pretty sure that if next year is uncapped, we can cut him then and not get killed by the accelerated money that would normally count against our salary cap. This is assuming that he continues on his present course of not living up to the vast amount of money he got.

18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Ok this is good to hear. I was wondering what the cap ramifications were and for how many years it would severely impact our number. Obviously any true Jets fan wants to see him succeed but we're just being realistic about what we've seen out of him to this point which is very little.

19. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Yes lets cut everybody who isn't immediately an impact player in their first NFL season. If Sanchez struggles this year - Cut Him !

20. abyzmul

If you read my post, I said 2 seasons. Anybody that would want to keep Gholston after a second season sucking egg is mental.