I need a great book

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by DeathByJets, Nov 20, 2006.

1. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Just finished the latest in the Dresden Files series...."Changes". This is the 12th book in the series and it just isn't getting old. Can't praise this series enough. I wrote a more detailed review of the series earlier in this thread. If you can get through the first 2 books in the series (which are good....but not great), you are in for a stellar ride! Can't wait for the next one to come out in Nov. I think I read that he has 20 planned novels and then is going to wrap it up with an apocalyptic trilogy.

2. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I just got done reading Fargo Rock City by Chuck Klosterman... I highly recomend for somebody who grew up listening to bands like W.A.S.P and GNR. It was a fantastic read and quite the trip down memory lane.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If you like mysteries, check out The Motive by john Lescroart.

I brought it on vacation and really got into it.

4. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

After the awesome Sledgehammer episodes on the Pacific I went ahead and ordered With the Old Breed from Amazon. Hands down one of the most amazing depictions of WWII or any other war I've ever read. A must read for fans of the show or war nuts like me. As brutal as the Peleliu scenes were, most of them were based off of the real experiences of Sledge and are actually downright tame compared to some of the stuff he wrote about.

5. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Joe Queenan - Confessions of a Cineplex Heckler.

I really enjoyed it.

6. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I just finished The Associate by John Grisham after someone recently recommended it to me. All I have to say is that it is one of the worst books I've ever read. WTF was I thinking?

7. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Joe Queenan? You would.

8. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

That's bad?

Who knew?

9. Barry the Baptist

Love that book , it's amazing. I have read it a few times and every time I wanna drink sangria. One of my dreams was to go to Pamplona and run with the bulls. I've been to Spain but never made it to Pamplona.

10. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

For anyone who is a fan of historical spy novels, I highly recommend the books of Alan Furst. They take place in Europe between 1933 and 1945. I've read three so far ("Night Soldiers," "Dark Star," and "The Polish Officer") and enjoyed all three. Their excellent characterizations of life in Eastern Europe before and during WW II are particularly noteworthy.

11. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Not really a "great" book but something interesting for Jet/college football fans. Bruce Feldman is a writer for ESPN.com who did a great book on the history of the Miami Hurricanes about six years ago. But he also has a book about college football recruiting called "Meat Market". It's a real easy read and has a lot of really cool information about the recruiting process.

It's centered around Ole Miss a few years back, and one of the main parts of the book is around their attempts to get Joe McKnight, so everyone can learn a little bit more about our new RB.

12. Barry the Baptist

Eastern Stars : How Baseball Changed the Dominican Town of San Pedro de Macoris

Obviously about the 79 MLB players that came out of this tiny Dominican town but an extensive history of the Republic. Great read if your a history and baseball buff.

13. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I can't believe it took me this long to get to reading Stranger in a Strange Land!

14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

"O! Jerusalem" by Dominic Lapierre would be a good one for a lot of people posting in the Israeli commando thread.

15. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

"5 people you meet in heaven" great book. One of my favorites in high school.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I've read a bunch of Heinlein books, Stranger was probably my favorite, but Friday and Starship Troopers were both also really good. A lot of his books are really similar, though.

17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Working on "Honor Thy Father" about the Bonanno crime family. Very good read.

18. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

just read that myself a month or so ago.......that was quite a novel, and a brain excercise

19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I grok what you're saying there.

20. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

lol, I was walking around my house saying that to my wife, needless to say, she thought I had lost it, which I did for a while reading that book..thou art god