I Don't Want Another Rookie QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jan 13, 2015.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

No one said anything about trading our entire draft for him, but since you're not the brightest poster on the board (certainly one of the whiniest), it's not surprising that you'd think that instead of what my real point was.

And whether any of us are high or low on a player has no effect on whether he'll bust or not.

But another bright observation.

_

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Must be something about Clemson QBs. I thought Charlie Whitehurst would be a player. I desperately wanted the Jets to draft him in the 2006 draft rather than Kellen Clemens. When Seattle traded for him a few years later, I thought I would finally be proven right. In the end, all he was another Rob Johnson, a guy that looks the part of an NFL QB but really wasn't. Boyd never really looked the part to me. A poster said Boyd reminded him of former Clemson QB Nealon Greene; I thought that was a very fitting comparison. Both were really good college QBs, whose games were not really suited for the NFL.

3. JStokes

Yeah, I was up at the Dome in 2013 (my son was a freshman) for the Clemson game and they destroyed us and Boyd looks otherwordly. That game really slanted my views on him--I watched him intently after than and I really liked what I saw.

Can't be right all the time.

_

4. Cody Hummel

Cody Hummel Active Member

I know I am going to get slammed for this but I would love for Sanchez to come back. I loved him coming outta college. Had Mark played in a better system here in NY I think he would still be our quarterback. I think his return is unlikely but mark sanchez would be good in gailey's system. Sadly enough for gailey mark would be prob one of the best qb's he has ever worked with lol. I cant see any of you taking geno over sanchez

5. legler82

Sanchez in Gailey's system is interesting.

6. Cody Hummel

I think it would be great.. just don't see mark coming back.

7. legler82

Those not in favor of drafting a QB should read the following article:

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/1/18/7717183/new-york-jets-where-do-teams-find-quarterbacks

New York Jets: Where Do Teams Find Quarterbacks?

There is a lot of excitement around the hirings of Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan, and justifiably so. Both have a lot of potential in their new jobs. Will they be successful. Nobody knows for sure. A large degree of their success will undoubtedly come down to their ability to find a quarterback.

I'm not sure it is true that a team necessarily needs a great quarterback to win in today's NFL, but it is almost impossible to build a consistent winner without a good quarterback. Despite Geno Smith's big Week 17 performance at Miami, he has not shown much to suggest he will be the answer at quarterback.

Where do teams find their quarterbacks? I decided to take a look. For my cutoff point, I used ESPN's QBR stat. It isn't perfect, but it is an easy enough stat to understand. It rates quarterback performance on a scale between 1 and 100. I took the quarterbacks this season who had a QBR over 50 and enough passes to qualify with two exceptions. I added Carson Palmer, who did not have enough passes to qualify based on both his play this season and his track record. I also added Alex Smith who had a 49.3, just below.

Here are how their teams acquired them:

Aaron Rogers Draft - 1st Round
    Ben Roethlisberger Draft - 1st Round
    Eli Manning* Draft - 1st Round
    Joe Flacco Draft - 1st Round
    Matt Ryan Draft - 1st Round
    Philip Rivers* Draft - 1st Round
    Andrew Luck Draft - 1st Round
    Ryan Tannehill Draft - 1st Round
    Cam Newton Draft - 1st Round
    Matthew Stafford Draft - 1st Round
    Teddy Bridgewater Draft - 1st Round
    Colin Kaepernick Draft - 2nd Round
    Andy Dalton Draft - 2nd Round
    Russell Wilson Draft - 3rd Round
    Nick Foles Draft - 3rd Round
    Tom Brady Draft - 6th Round
    Jay Cutler Trade
    Alex Smith Trade
    Carson Palmer Trade
    Tony Romo Undrafted Free Agent
    Peyton Manning Unrestricted Free Agent
    Drew Brees Unrestricted Free Agent
    Mark Sanchez Unrestricted Free Agent
    Ryan Fitzpatrick Unrestricted Free Agent

Are there any lessons to take from this? There's a pretty big one. 11 of the 24 were drafted by their current team in the first round. Dalton and Kaepernick were picked at the top of the second round. Of the seven players who were acquired by trade or free agency, five were first rounders. A seventh, Brees, was picked with the 32nd pick. When he was drafted there were only 31 teams in the league so he was a second round pick. Today the 32nd pick is a first rounder.

19 of the 24 were originally picked in the top 40 of the Draft. Wilson and Foles were third rounders. Still want to wait for the third day? Only Brady, Romo, and Fitzpatrick didn't go before the fourth round.

There is a school of thought that the Jets should wait until the middle rounds to take a quarterback. I don't necessarily disagree with taking a shot on somebody, but it probably isn't because that player is going to step in and become a great starter.

The NFL scouts can't say with a high degree of certainty whether a quarterback will pan out. One only needs to see how many quarterback busts there are in the first round. It does, however, seem like they are pretty good at eliminating the guys who really can't play. If they don't think you're good enough to merit a first or early second round pick, the odds seem very stacked against you.

What about the elite franchise quarterbacks, though? While the list above is a group of players on the fringes of good quarterback play, it isn't perfect. I mean Mark Sanchez made the cut.

Let's cut the list down from 24 to the top 12.

Aaron Rodgers Draft - 1st Round
    Ben Roethlisberger Draft - 1st Round
    Eli Manning* Draft - 1st Round
    Joe Flacco Draft - 1st Round
    Matt Ryan Draft - 1st Round
    Philip Rivers* Draft - 1st Round
    Andrew Luck Draft - 1st Round
    Russell Wilson Draft - 3rd Round
    Tom Brady Draft - 6th Round
    Tony Romo Undrafted Free Agent
    Peyton Manning Unrestricted Free Agent
    Drew Brees Unrestricted Free Agent

There we go. Now doesn't that look like a real list of the top quarterbacks in the league?

Seven of these twelve were first round picks who have spent their careers with one team. You really need to draft one of these quarterbacks too. They don't become available. Why would anybody make a top quarterback available.

There is only one reason, to replace a franchise quarterback with a younger, also elite quarterback. Manning and Brees are the only guys on this list to change teams, and that is exactly what happened. Their original teams had the ability to replace them with another quarterback on this list. The Colts moved from Manning to Luck, and Chargers moved from Brees to Rivers.

Last night Seth.P wrote a great FanPost talking about some of the dangers when it comes to taking a quarterback early. He made a lot of great points, and I strongly encourage you to read it.

There is a flip side, though. It is true that teams should not take a quarterback in the first round for the sake of taking a quarterback. You do, however, need a good quarterback in the NFL, and the first round seems to be the spot to find the best ones.

*Eli Manning was drafted by the Chargers. Rivers was drafted by the Giants. The two were then traded for each other on draft day. For the purposes of this piece, they are considered homegrown.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  8. Cody Hummel

another quarterback that is interesting to me is ryan mallett coming off an injury if Houston releases him I say we need to take a look. he is familiar with maccagnan,, he has a rocket for an arm and how cool would it be for him to come to New York and play the patriots twice a year? he sat behind Brady so maybe he learned a thing or two.

9. Cody Hummel

legler82,

I agree tht drafting a qb and developing him is the way to go we should have done that last year in a stacked qb class. if mariota and Winston are gone we have petty, grayson, ect. for the time being we sign a vet FA quarterback and fix all the other holes in our roster and look for our franchise quarterback maybe next year via draft and we would already have a quarterback from this year to learn from

10. JStokes

Legler--good article.

You should draft a QB in round 1 if they are a top talent, roll the dice and you can be rewarded.

Don't draft QB in the first round if they are not a top talent and are only taken for need. EJ Manuel, Locker, Ponder, Tebow, Gabbert come to mind.

Folks may not like either Mariota or Winston, but it's hard to deny their talent level. Does the talent translate, can he learn the system, can he be trusted off the field--legit concerns but the talent is clearly there for both.

I'm not sure where anyone saw Chrisitian Ponder or Blaine Gabbert as guys as talented as Mariota or Winston.

_

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Get real. Sanchez is awful.

12. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I want Kirk Cousins.

Draft aQB to 'develop' too.

Reading that Geno is the favorite to start opening day 2015 is depressing. He doesn't deserve a chance to start again in 2015. He had his shot blew it.

13. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

You know a lot of other great players had off the field problems and went on to do great things

14. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Sanchez was still having turnover problems in chip Kelly's qb friendly system he is nothing more then a back up

15. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

I bet Rex Ryan watched that tape and felt the same way you did (plus his son's recommendation.)

And, that was one of the bad things about Rex - he made that decision like a fan would, probably ignoring the scouts. I had that same experience, where my college (an FCS team), the QB was just incredible. He made it to the NFL, and was even a starter for awhile. He won some games, but his stats were pretty bad and it was disappointing. He looked so much worse than he did in college. He went from backup, to being a starter for a short stretches, and then he failed one too many times. Now he's out of the league after about 4 or 5 years. That made me realize how enormous the gulf is between college (especially the FCS) and the NFL.